Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hands on w/ K-m ...

Default Re: Hands on w/ K-m ...

Quote Originally Posted by istDeS View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing Bernard.
    No probs... just sharing my initial hands on experience with it.

Bro Bernard, how much did you pay for it and where in KL did you buy from? I poisoned my friend and he is anxiuosly waiting for it to appear in SG but i told him to get his mom to buy in KL where she is.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Bro Bernard, how much did you pay for it and where in KL did you buy from? I poisoned my friend and he is anxiuosly waiting for it to appear in SG but i told him to get his mom to buy in KL where she is.
    Eh ... didn't buy it from KL. But if you want it from KL, it's pretty easy to go to MidValley's Megamall where there's a shop call Trillion that sells it at 1999 (with DA Version II unlike mine which is a L lens..;-) ). But I am sure if your friend knows the way around MY shop assistants, it's possible to have it lesser.

More thoughts about the K-M after playing with it for close to 3 - 4 days...

FOCUS
    I do find the focus beep much faster in low light... does that translate to a more accurate focus or a better probability of a non-blurred shot in low light? I think it's still very much a photographer's skill... ;-)

SIZE and WEIGHT
    Brings me back to the days where I own a K100D, and keeps everything small and compact.. in fact even smaller. Grip wise is subjective. While it feels more substantial, I actually felt the old K100D feels more contoured. Just me I guess. The weight increases quite a fair bit when you placed the 4 AA batteries... but it's nothing new for anyone whose been using AA batteries for their K100D, DS, K200D.

MENU/BUTTONS
    There are dedicated buttons for ISO, WB, FLASH. The lighted up screen to tell you more about the settings you are currently at is actually pretty useful where you could immediately change the setting but going to the specific icon.

E.g. You do not need to go into MENU to change the AF to AF.S or AF.C. When the settings display is litted up, just click ok, move it to the icon that indicates AF, click on it and change.

So basically every photographic settings, you basically change it on this screen.

If you are already used to the different modes, Av, Sv, P, Tv, etc, you can even customize the ? button to go to a specific targeted menu (e.g. Customized Filters)...

I actually find this pretty intuitive and easy to use. If you're concern about the screen lighting up when you look into the viewfinder, just configure it to be turn off (until you pressed on the info button).

BATTERY LIFE
    Need I say more.. I have 4 AA Eneloops which are already half drained (perhaps even more and probably only a 1/4 left after from months of flash usage), and use it over the course of my Malaysia Trip to the in-laws, and find that batteries (almost drained I guess cos' it showed empty) lasted over the 5 - 6 days of prolonged usage ... You know right, when you have your toy, you'll playing with menus, checking images, changing settings, checking images again, taking photos after photos, used the built in flash.

When the camera shows that it's draining half or more, the battery life tends to deteriorate exponentially. At least that's what I felt. However, this K-M seems to suck very little juice and just keeps on going (like an energiser bunny).

I would say the battery life is an improvement based on my observations, but only time will tell (after Business trip and CNY when I head up NORTH again).

CREATIVITY
    Many modes for you to explore, which I haven't even fully utilized! I kinda of like the high contrast one... somehow the shot always seem to help me focus on the subject in question...see this shot of the myvi.

OVERALL RATING
    Highly recommended (especially if you're a Pentax hardcore) and an excellent addition to your travel 'photographic' gear.
    Last edited by hjbyeo; 5th January 2009 at 10:37 PM.

Hey Bernard,
    After hearing how light and small it is, I am so tempted to switch over but is unsure if the superior parts as compared with the K200D far exceeds the inferiorr portion of the camera.
    I truly love them compact and small. Is it lighter than the istDL (compared with the istDL, the K100D felt like a brick..really!)

I am not particular about focussing speed or weather sealing but the lesser focussing points may be an important negative point for the K-m.

I noted that the WB button is truly a step in the correct direction. For someone who does not use raw often, setting the correct WB is important but I needed to access the menu to make changes all the time on the K200D.

Thanks for sharing. Hope to be able to see it in real life!
    PENTAXKR,18250,18135,35,40,70,600,AF360
    SONYA6000,1650,1855,18200,5018,3028,16,RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by airconvent View Post
    Hey Bernard,
    After hearing how light and small it is, I am so tempted to switch over but is unsure if the superior parts as compared with the K200D far exceeds the inferiorr portion of the camera.
    I truly love them compact and small. Is it lighter than the istDL (compared with the istDL, the K100D felt like a brick..really!)
    For me, I made the switch cos' I really want it small (my wife's hands are really small). I am not too sure about the istDL, but if you look at the comparisons on the Pentax CEO's blog... I reckon it's a really compact package (small and has a LARGER LCD)!

... trying not to promote the BBB virus. Some of you may consider going for the Storm Trooper version in FEB.

Quote Originally Posted by hjbyeo View Post
    More thoughts about the K-M after playing with it for close to 3 - 4 days...

FOCUS
    I do find the focus beep much faster in low light... does that translate to a more accurate focus or a better probability of a non-blurred shot in low light? I think it's still very much a photographer's skill... ;-)

SIZE and WEIGHT
    Brings me back to the days where I own a K100D, and keeps everything small and compact.. in fact even smaller. Grip wise is subjective. While it feels more substantial, I actually felt the old K100D feels more contoured. Just me I guess. The weight increases quite a fair bit when you placed the 4 AA batteries... but it's nothing new for anyone whose been using AA batteries for their K100D, DS, K200D.

MENU/BUTTONS
    There are dedicated buttons for ISO, WB, FLASH. The lighted up screen to tell you more about the settings you are currently at is actually pretty useful where you could immediately change the setting but going to the specific icon.

E.g. You do not need to go into MENU to change the AF to AF.S or AF.C. When the settings display is litted up, just click ok, move it to the icon that indicates AF, click on it and change.

So basically every photographic settings, you basically change it on this screen.

If you are already used to the different modes, Av, Sv, P, Tv, etc, you can even customize the ? button to go to a specific targeted menu (e.g. Customized Filters)...

I actually find this pretty intuitive and easy to use. If you're concern about the screen lighting up when you look into the viewfinder, just configure it to be turn off (until you pressed on the info button).

BATTERY LIFE
    Need I say more.. I have 4 AA Eneloops which are already half drained (perhaps even more and probably only a 1/4 left after from months of flash usage), and use it over the course of my Malaysia Trip to the in-laws, and find that batteries (almost drained I guess cos' it showed empty) lasted over the 5 - 6 days of prolonged usage ... You know right, when you have your toy, you'll playing with menus, checking images, changing settings, checking images again, taking photos after photos, used the built in flash.

When the camera shows that it's draining half or more, the battery life tends to deteriorate exponentially. At least that's what I felt. However, this K-M seems to suck very little juice and just keeps on going (like an energiser bunny).

I would say the battery life is an improvement based on my observations, but only time will tell (after Business trip and CNY when I head up NORTH again).

CREATIVITY
    Many modes for you to explore, which I haven't even fully utilized! I kinda of like the high contrast one... somehow the shot always seem to help me focus on the subject in question...see this shot of the myvi.

OVERALL RATING
    Highly recommended (especially if you're a Pentax hardcore) and an excellent addition to your travel 'photographic' gear.
    Nice summary Bernard Can't wait to get one too ... the white one of course

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Nice summary Bernard Can't wait to get one too ... the white one of course
    See who's first
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    See who's first
    Denis probably will beat both of us since he has contact in JP

Denis probably will beat both of us since he has contact in JP
    You all make me drool only leh . . .

Before you get one call me as my friend also interested in the white one.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

I haven't played it long, probably just 10 to 20min, but I do have great feeling about this camera. I think I'll be getting one for myself, put a split focus screen in it, and play w/ my manaul lenses

If you are looking for a small and compact dSLR camera, I think this one is a great choice for you. Just get this one w/ a kit lens, plus a couple of pancake limited lenses, you are set to have a lot shooting fun
    hi fengwei,

need to ask you, when you pressed the shutter of the k-m to focus, did any red dot appear in the viewfinder? mine don seem to "light" up?

thank

Quote Originally Posted by kohweeloon View Post
    hi fengwei,

need to ask you, when you pressed the shutter of the k-m to focus, did any red dot appear in the viewfinder? mine don seem to "light" up?

thank
    No, there is no focusing indicator inside the viewfinder for Km, you'd better set it to CENTER only and always focus at the center point (then re-frame, just like the old days when we shooting film). Don't know how costly it'd be to put this one in, but I do think Pentax made a wrong decision by taking out the focusing point indicator

No, there is no focusing indicator inside the viewfinder for Km, you'd better set it to CENTER only and always focus at the center point (then re-frame, just like the old days when we shooting film). Don't know how costly it'd be to put this one in, but I do think Pentax made a wrong decision by taking out the focusing point indicator
    ok noted thank for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12