Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore Central
    Posts
    342

    Default Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    I have never visited Phuket and wonder what else does it offer other than its beaches. I am trying to persuade my wife to consider a trip there but as she is a poor swimmer, she has never like the sea. I note many of you have been to this beautiful island and shall be grateful if you could share with me what else can we find in Phuket. Sightseeing? Shopping? Dining? Spa and massage? Thanks in advance. By the way, I am planning a 4 day 3 night trip.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    sightseeing is always a good idea. try to visit promthep cape. good photo op esp for sunset. think it can rival uluwatu at bali.

    spa is cheap and nice at phuket. tons of foot massage places. not much shopping other than the usual tourist traps unless u go jungceylon. shld visit ratri jazztaurant with ur wife. she will think u are a romantic guy and u shld bring ur camera as well.

    btw the places i told u not exactly dirt cheap. but hey, once a year, make the wife happy.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Activities you may want to consider:

    - Full Day Island Hopping Tour by Speedboat. This includes snorkelling.
    - Full Day James Bond Island / Sea Canoeing
    - Phuket Fantasea Show.
    - Simon Cabaret. A "clean" transvestite show.

    Have done all the above including elephant riding before. The full day package includes lunch and refreshments. It's generally cheaper to get such packages in Phuket.. quite a lot of shops sell them.

    :Later,

  4. #4

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    btw be careful if u going f&e and finding your own way from the airport. there are taxi drivers who will pretend to use the toilet and stop at a travel agency who's staff will come out and try to psycho u to change to another hotel and etc.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, Singapore
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    go diving!!! shiokable
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore Central
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Thanks for all the tips so far. By the way, I will be staying at Marriott's Mai Khao Beach Resort. Is this a convenient location? I guess I will have to go to Phuket Town for shopping. Is that far in term of travelling time?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore Central
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Has anyone rented a car in Phuket before? What are your experiences?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    [QUOTE=Pinoy;4661317The full day package includes lunch and refreshments. It's generally cheaper to get such packages in Phuket.. quite a lot of shops sell them.
    [/QUOTE]

    Shops? You mean travel agents?

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    go diving!!! shiokable
    Hehe... any DC to recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    btw the places i told u not exactly dirt cheap. but hey, once a year, make the wife happy.
    How much estimated for these?
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Phuket town isnt far, iirc it's about 20 mins at most by car. If you want to buy local produce, please don't buy them at Robinsons. (departmental store located in the city centre) Buy your snacks at Big C or Tesco as Robinsons cost more. The locals shop at Big C and Tesco, Robinsons is for tourists. If you want to rent a jeep,it isn't expensive about 600 baht a day but do check thoroughly before you take over the vehicle. I suggest sticking to tuk tuk or taxis if you do not intend to explore mainland phuket. Do visit the muslim kelong if you can. Their thai muslim seafood is cheap and good. I forgot the name of the kelong though.

    Btw, most shop owners in the city can speak teochew or a smattering of mandarin. If you like Phuket and want to visit again,the best time to go is actually in October where they have the annual vegetarian festival aka 九皇爷大会. It's a big event stretching 9 days and there will be processions by all temples in the city, with abundance of firecrackers to play with.

    Have fun!
    Last edited by cowmera; 31st December 2008 at 07:11 PM.
    I'm a cow with a camera

  10. #10

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Just got back from Phuket last month. My third time. Lovely place.
    Went by speedboat for a full day snorkeling and and another full day kayaking. The sea and sand breathtaking. The company is Coralseekers. Excellent service and guides.
    Got around by renting a car with English speaking driver. About 1600 bt for 8 hours. Good thing is you can go shopping and just dump your loot in the boot ;-) The weekend market is worth a visit. Of course, they have the usual trinkets and cheap T shirts etc.
    Promthep Cape is nice. There is a lovely restaurant by the sea. Forgot the name but can get from most guide books. Cheap and delicious. Another in town Nature restaurant. Quaint decor with plants everywhere. Food is tops.
    Buy local food like crackers etc from Porntip, a big shop along the highway leading to Central Festival Shopping Centre.
    Get your money changed in Phuket. Rates are better than in Singapore. Have fun!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Shops? You mean travel agents?
    Yes. Some are just a booth, manned by a single person. In Patong you'll find lots of these. Some even offers to deliver the tickets to your hotel for free... just gotta give them a call.

    :Later,

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ClubSNAP East
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    If you like Phuket and want to visit again,the best time to go is actually in October where they have the annual vegetarian festival aka 九皇爷大会. It's a big event stretching 9 days and there will be processions by all temples in the city, with abundance of firecrackers to play with.
    Hmm... note that October is one of the monsoon season months so there's a higher chance of rainfall.

    We had ours on that month and out of 6 days we stayed there, we encountered heavy rainfall once, causing our second island hopping tour (yeah, we took it twice) to be delayed by more than an hour. After the heavy rain slowed down, we hit the water in a speedboat. It was a really bumpy ride compared to the first.

    BTW, our island hopping package was from Coralseekers (same as mentioned by gp1). Excellent service.

    :Later,

  13. #13

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Do
    1) Change the bulk of your money over there, the exchange rate is cheaper.
    2) Try the local bus service instead of the tuk-tuk
    3) Take the meter taxi if you need a transport from the airport to your desitnation. They go by the meter and in my many encounters with them, have never tried to rip tourists off.
    4) Try the cashew nuts products, countless varieties and flavours.

    Don't
    1) Visit the phuket zoo, costs 500THB, super poorly maintained.


    Maybe will add again when more comes to mind.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Shops? You mean travel agents?



    Hehe... any DC to recommend?



    How much estimated for these?
    actually the killer shld be the restaurant. mine was forked by the company so i don't remember but i know the price was pretty close to what u will pay at a mid range restaurant here.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Hehe... any DC to recommend?
    There is buffet line of DC, many of them 5-star centres, even those "middle agents" company are quite well run.

    I usually choose mine based on which area I stay, for ease of making arrangements.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    Has anyone rented a car in Phuket before? What are your experiences?
    Hi David,

    Was in Phuket like Oct 08. Rented a car and it's really cheap. Got it for like 1000BHT per day. Petrol is not too ex. Good thing about Phuket is that you CAN'T get lost cos it's an island.... hahahaha....

    It's easy to drive and I think much cheaper to use to get around. You should be able to rent this from lots of places, even at the airport. The hotel rentals are much more expensive. What I did was that I rented the vehicle from a convenience store right outside the hotel's main gate.

    Have a good trip !
    Snap ?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore Central
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by gp1 View Post
    Just got back from Phuket last month. My third time. Lovely place.
    Went by speedboat for a full day snorkeling and and another full day kayaking. The sea and sand breathtaking. The company is Coralseekers. Excellent service and guides.
    Got around by renting a car with English speaking driver. About 1600 bt for 8 hours. Good thing is you can go shopping and just dump your loot in the boot ;-) The weekend market is worth a visit. Of course, they have the usual trinkets and cheap T shirts etc.
    Promthep Cape is nice. There is a lovely restaurant by the sea. Forgot the name but can get from most guide books. Cheap and delicious. Another in town Nature restaurant. Quaint decor with plants everywhere. Food is tops.
    Buy local food like crackers etc from Porntip, a big shop along the highway leading to Central Festival Shopping Centre.
    Get your money changed in Phuket. Rates are better than in Singapore. Have fun!
    I always thought Singapore is a good place to change currency. Where in Phuket can I change money? At the airport?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore Central
    Posts
    342

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    Hi David,

    Was in Phuket like Oct 08. Rented a car and it's really cheap. Got it for like 1000BHT per day. Petrol is not too ex. Good thing about Phuket is that you CAN'T get lost cos it's an island.... hahahaha....

    It's easy to drive and I think much cheaper to use to get around. You should be able to rent this from lots of places, even at the airport. The hotel rentals are much more expensive. What I did was that I rented the vehicle from a convenience store right outside the hotel's main gate.

    Have a good trip !
    You mean I can rent a car just outside the Marriott Mai Khao?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Drive up north and go for White Water Rafting at Phang Na.. quite cheep, should be about 20+ per pax, but it's only a class 2.
    Nikon D700,50mm f1.8, 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-300 f4-5.6

  20. #20

    Default Re: Phuket - What is there to see and do?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    I always thought Singapore is a good place to change currency. Where in Phuket can I change money? At the airport?
    Skip the airport. The banks and their numerous tellers along the touristy beaches (patong, karon, kata) offer good enough rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •