Thread: New LX-3, should i complain about dead or stuck pixel

Default New LX-3, should i complain about dead or stuck pixel

My first post here, but basically read alot of the recent threads going on about the LX-3. After reading about all the deals going on I went to AP on Sun Dec 28, spoke to salesman by the name of Bryan, and picked up the LX-3 with screen protector, case, 4gb SDHC card, card reader, 3rd party battery and mini tripod for $680 cash.

The next day I updated the firmware to 1.1 and then started to explore all the camera features and functions. I noticed that there is one pixel on the LCD in the upper right or north east quadrant of the screen that is either stuck or dead. I'm not sure which it is the correct terminology, but I can say for certain that the pixel just emits a green color. It's not so noticeble when viewing pictures but definately can see when powering on or off the screen because mostly everything is black except the lumix logo.

Today I was really debating whether to take it back or not. On one hand I say it's just one pixel and the CCD or pictures themselves are not affected. On the other hand it's one of those things where you spend a hefty chunk of change on something and having something like a malfunctioning pixel within 24 hours of purchase just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Bryan did say that if there are any problems within 7 days to come back to the store. But of course the catch is, that there is no guarantee that anything will be done. If I knew I could get an exchange for sure, then I would go. But if I go and get some BS about how it's just one pixel and they can't do anything for me and so on, then I'll be pissed off at more than just a dead/stuck pixel. Get what I mean? Maybe I call and ask first?

What do you guys think? How strong is my case and how easy to get an exchange? Do I need to prepare for battle?
    Last edited by sleepost; 30th December 2008 at 09:01 PM.

Default Re: New LX-3, should i complain about dead or stuck pixel

Personally, I definitely go back to take the salesman offer of exchange if anything wrong.

Should not be a problem, if you bring it back.
    AP always boasts about their after-sale service.

I am almost certain they will reject you. Like TV, a certain % of dead pixels are not covered.

I would bring it back. My LX3 is fine.

i will bring back for one to one exchange within 7 day
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

bring it back!

Thanks for the posts. I've decided to take it back today. Will post on the outcome.

Default Dec 31 update: New LX-3, should i complain about dead or stuck pixel

Big big double thumbs up for AP and Bryan. Took the camera in, showed him the pixel and without hesitation he grabbed another from stock and we swapped the camera and camera box since the box has the serial number on it. Couldn't have been any easier.
    Digi: Lumix LX3 | Oly C8080 | Can A80 | Oly E1 (12-60,14-54,50-200)
    Film: Leica Minilux | Can AE1

See.. told u so..
    Happy New year!!

i am impressed, change for 1 dead pixel without question asked, i remember when i bought my HX PDA 3 years back, they refused to exchange because of 1 dead pixel, i manage to get it exchange after they made a mistake in servicing me

normally i wont expect good after sales service from AP but at least there's some light at the end of the tunnel...

Should have take a photo with the Sales person to praise him on doing the right thing...

Actually I very curious abt wat those shops that entertain 7-days 1-to-1 exchange do with the exchanged sets? Do they re-sell the sub-par items to unsuspecting customers? Cannot be throw away the sub-par sets right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Actually I very curious abt wat those shops that entertain 7-days 1-to-1 exchange do with the exchanged sets? Do they re-sell the sub-par items to unsuspecting customers? Cannot be throw away the sub-par sets right?

they return it to their agent

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    they return it to their agent
    u r right but what happens to the sets tt r returned to agents due to slight or serious defects?.. I believed they r repaired(aka refurbished sets) and pass to shops to "re-sell" to some unlucky chaps... If u realised the set u bought alr has photos inside or saved settings.. Bingo!

Default Re: Dec 31 update: New LX-3, should i complain about dead or stuck pixel

Quote Originally Posted by sleepost View Post
    Big big double thumbs up for AP and Bryan. Took the camera in, showed him the pixel and without hesitation he grabbed another from stock and we swapped the camera and camera box since the box has the serial number on it. Couldn't have been any easier.
    u were lucky... for me, the "highly recommended shop for sales service" I bought from wasnt so cooperative for after sales service ...they called agent when I bring back and rejected exchange, reason given - cos I filled up a blank warranty card(it wasnt even mailed)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...413696&page=21 post #419