Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my PC configuration good enough for CS3?

Default Re: Is my PC configuration good enough for CS3?

u can put as much Ram as u want, just that as the guy above me said, applications may not recognize more than 3gb of RAM. so you are wasting the extra ram.

For 2GB of ram its fine already. Im using Vista 32bit and 2GB of ram (considering vista requires much more RAM while idle than XP) and it runs fine. 2GB of RAM is fine unless u want to open lots of big files at the same time in photoshop, which might start to lag.

I think if u want your computer to process photos faster in photoshop u should upgrade your CPU (which i think its fine also). Unless you really cannot stand the slowness of the computer while in CS3, i suggest you stick to your current setup and save the money.

Speed of Processing pictures in photoshop is mainly dependant on CPU speed. RAM helps by feeding info very quickly to the cpu to process pictures.
    So if your RAM is small, your computer has to ask your hard drive to provide the information for the CPU to process, which is slower.

To summarise, CPU power is like how fast a person can do math (like using the formula to get something useful), RAM is like knowing all the formulas on your finger tips, and flipping the Textbook for formulas to help solve the problem is like searching the harddrive, which is slower than knowing formulas on your finger tips.

Thus, RAM helps to a certian extent, but if u want the biggest improvement in speed, Concentrate on upgrading the CPU.

hope my explanation is not too confusing.. haha
    Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Gitzo GT1541T, GH1780QR Ball head.

TS = Thread starter
    Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Gitzo GT1541T, GH1780QR Ball head.

Thanks alot. I will seriously consider upgrading the CPU should I need to process large photo files someday. By then, CPU prices would have dropped even further

I don't have internet connection at home, so can't check this forum over the new year holiday. Will log in again on Friday, 2 Jan.

Happy new year to all.

Quote Originally Posted by humbee View Post
    Hi.

By the way, what is 'TS'? I not very good with short forms. (it took me a long time to realize that LOL refers to 'laughing out loud' so pai-say)

Okay, now that I know I can use more than 3G Ram for XP Home, I'm going to get additional GEIL 800 Ram soon. (Yes, I have 3 hard disks on my PC, 2 SATA, 1 IDE. Someone told me IDE will slow things down, and I may remove it and install another SATA instead.)

What about that 'switch to 3G' thing which I heard people talk about. I thought we must activate this feature in order for the applications to be able to use the additional RAM?

Just 1 more point to add, my motherboard is the Gigabyte: GA-965P-DS3, not sure if this is a good enough model. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2314

Humbee
    dude, fyi, ide also known as pata and sata doesnt make much difference. PATA(133mbps) and the sata(150mbps). not much of a fight with a difference of 17 mbps, not in a rush are ya? Upgrading-wise then yes la, will make a difference. however, if the ide(pata) is still workable, just use it as a slave then, why waste the storage.

from where did you hear "must activate 3g to work that additional ram? i didn't know that 3g was in the context of motherboard. Long time never meddle with computers liao..(used to be an it tech)lol.

your rig will work just fine, CHeers! ts is threadstarter.
    “The soul can not think without a picture.” Aristotle.

Something to read in order to limit urban myths and other rumours:
    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussino...1/3092070.aspx

Which means: you can plug in 4GB of RAM, Windows will not get stuck. But how much is usable for YOU and how much the system will grab is a different story.
    Btw: what is this thingy of GEIL RAM? Sounds really silly since 'geil' is nothing but the German term for 'horny' ... not sure what people expect from that RAM.
    In addition, cleaning up Windows will help a lot. Useless programs loading at startup and lurking in the background can bring down the fastest CPU. Check the configuration carefully. You can use the tools from Sysinternals (formerly an independant company, later taken over by M$) to check and examine your system. Pretty helpful.
    Lastly: IDE vs. SATA depends on the usage of the disk. OS and swap space disks should be fastest - best to put on SATA disks. Data disks don't need to be fast, you can still use IDE. But the advantage of SATA is that you can create RAID arrays. The answer it not easy and also depends on your overall system design and storage concept.

SATA II is faster and try those faster HDD like WD raptor and see the difference! you'll be amazed...

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Something to read in order to limit urban myths and other rumours:
    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussino...1/3092070.aspx

Which means: you can plug in 4GB of RAM, Windows will not get stuck. But how much is usable for YOU and how much the system will grab is a different story.
    Btw: what is this thingy of GEIL RAM? Sounds really silly since 'geil' is nothing but the German term for 'horny' ... not sure what people expect from that RAM.
    In addition, cleaning up Windows will help a lot. Useless programs loading at startup and lurking in the background can bring down the fastest CPU. Check the configuration carefully. You can use the tools from Sysinternals (formerly an independant company, later taken over by M$) to check and examine your system. Pretty helpful.
    Lastly: IDE vs. SATA depends on the usage of the disk. OS and swap space disks should be fastest - best to put on SATA disks. Data disks don't need to be fast, you can still use IDE. But the advantage of SATA is that you can create RAID arrays. The answer it not easy and also depends on your overall system design and storage concept.
    Geil is the brand name of the RAM.

GeIL is a company that manufactures RAM, here's the website: http://www.geil.com.tw/home. The local distributor in Singapore is CDL Trading, the same agent for Gigabyte. Thanks for contributing a reply

GeIL is a company that manufactures RAM, here's the website: http://www.geil.com.tw/home. The local distributor in Singapore is CDL Trading, the same agent for Gigabyte. Thanks for contributing a reply
    Thanks for the pointer.

Hi.

By the way, what is 'TS'? I not very good with short forms. (it took me a long time to realize that LOL refers to 'laughing out loud' so pai-say)

Okay, now that I know I can use more than 3G Ram for XP Home, I'm going to get additional GEIL 800 Ram soon. (Yes, I have 3 hard disks on my PC, 2 SATA, 1 IDE. Someone told me IDE will slow things down, and I may remove it and install another SATA instead.)

What about that 'switch to 3G' thing which I heard people talk about. I thought we must activate this feature in order for the applications to be able to use the additional RAM?

Just 1 more point to add, my motherboard is the Gigabyte: GA-965P-DS3, not sure if this is a good enough model. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2314

Humbee
    TS = Thread Starter
    your board can take 6 SATA cable so can attach up to 6 SATA devices!
    (mean you can put 6 SATA HDD provided your casing allows and that your
    current DVD-RW is IDE only) Since you've got 4 slots of RAM slots, you can
    get additional 2x1Gb RAM to add up to 4Gb in total

apart from the "switch to 3g" question which I do not understand, I guess
    I've answered for you the rest

such classic! i wonder if the RAM sells in Germany. haha.

can share what kind of photos do u plan to work with in terms of file type, size and operations? i thought anything dual core and above can process reasonably fast. anything that slows it down will be the other programs and processes running in the background. so even turn off that music player, exit msn, yahoo, gtalk, skype, IE, firefox (memory hungry)... (okay, dun seem to apply to u) will speed up ur system.
    I own Nikon D90. My primary camera comes with Whatsapp.

To WooJacky and everyone here, thanks for answering my questions.

To CH130176: I haven't start using my CS3 yet. Have only been using CS1 or Elements 2.0 so far. I believe I will be shooting RAW more often, with a 6 mega pixel DSLR currently. I hope to upgrade to a used 5D Mark 1 sometime this year. So the maximum file size I expect to process should be 12 mega pixels maximum. Why don't I upgrade to 5D Mk 2? Because it's too demanding on lenses, and my lenses may not be able to meet the challenges of such a high resolution sensor

The reason I decided not to go CS4 is because it will be too demanding on my humble machine
    I have run CS4 on my netbook... an Asus N10Jc... it works
    Quote Originally Posted by deepashes View Post
    As for sticking to xp and 2 gb, its a good choice, vista has many compatibility problems.
    I've been running Vista 64 for about a year and a half now on my desktop... no compatibility problems... most of those probs were in the early days when drivers were not available yet, or for older devices that the manufacturers have decided not to support...
    Quote Originally Posted by deepashes View Post
    Difference between cs3 and cs4 from what i heard is not much, i think cs 4 is just a nice to have. (does not have a really really really new esential tool that will make all your photographs look better)
    the graphics card boost to zooming and moving the image around really helps... for me at least and especially for my netbook
    don't bother with that... it was more relevant for Win2k rather than XP... what you do need to look out for is whether you get 4GB of RAM in the initial boot-up sequence... if not, you would have to go into the motherboard bios and change a setting... some older motherboards require it, others don't (don't remember if it's only an AMD thing or if it applies to Intel processor motherboards as well)...
    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    SATA II is faster and try those faster HDD like WD raptor and see the difference! you'll be amazed...
    actually, PATA, SATA and SATAII are only the interfaces between the HDD and the motherboard... they don't really tell much about the speed of the HDD itself... and most HDDs can't even utilize the full speed of IDE133 PATA, much less SATA (150) or SATAII (300)... newer SSDs that use flash memory are approaching the max throughput of SATAII though, at a massive price of cause...

HDDs, like Raptor or the newer VelociRaptor, that spin faster (10kRPM or 15kRPM, compared to conventional 7200RPM or 5400RPM ones) do provide a speed boost though, again, at a price...

Thanks to RBK for answering our questions. I'm glad I don't have to worry about this 'switch to 3G thing' - frankly, I've no idea how to go about switching this feature/thing on . But I'm glad, I can ignore it now

Hi

I just install and activated my CS3 Web Premium 2 days ago. I realized that Adobe Gamma is NOT in the start-up folder. (I actually wanted to remove it so that it will not conflict with my Spyder 3 driver).

Could it be that newer versions of Adobe software no longer ship with Adobe Gamma?

(My CS3 runs at decent speed on my current setup - however, Bridge seems to be sluggish, not sure what's the reason.)

You might get speed bump if your MB does support AHCI with disk NCQ and OS support.

ICH10 AHCI Standard Controller:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: AHCI Standard Controller
    Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

ST31000340AS:

Capacity: 931.51 GB
    Model: ST31000340AS
    Revision: SD15
    Serial Number: xxxxxxxx
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No

i had 1 gig ram.

processor is centrino duo 1.66gHz. that was the first gen centrino duo.

can run CS3, but overall system was very slow until i formatted my HDD. then it was acceptably fast without all the 2 yrs of accumulated junk (in the OS and etc etc). now i'm using the same setup but 2.5 gig ram. 2.5 gig is more than enuff for light work (i don't play with layers or open many large files simultaneously). but i do open other programs alongside CS3 such as Word, MSN, a few browser windows, and don't notice any slowdown.

apparently, XP can't use more than 3 gig of ram. not sure about vista but i'd bet XP 3gb ram is faster than vista 3gb ram.

anyway, the best way to ensure the system works well, is to format regularly. i'd format at least annually and do defrag every month or two. but not sure if regular formatting applies to mac. i heard that macs do not need to be defragmented, which is great!
    Last edited by boyboy; 10th January 2009 at 01:50 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12