Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my PC configuration good enough for CS3?

Default Is my PC configuration good enough for CS3?

Hi

Not sure if this may be the right place to ask for advice.

My PC is currently using Core 2 Duo - 1.83Ghz, GEIL 2G Ram (speed: 800), Windows XP Home.
    Is this configuration good enough to run Photoshop CS3?

Is it advisable to upgrade to XP Pro + increase to 4G Ram? Will I see any significant difference? The total upgrade cost should be around $270 for the OS + Ram.

(What about processor, is it a crazy idea to upgrade processor as well - will cost me more $$$ )

I'm still using PS Elements and PS CS1. Would like to upgrade to PS CS3 soon.

Humbee needs your frank advice

Default Re: Is my PC configuration good enough for CS3?

Quote Originally Posted by humbee View Post
    Hi

My PC is currently using Core 2 Duo - 1.83Ghz, GEIL 2G Ram (speed: 800), Windows XP Home.

Is it advisable to upgrade to XP Pro + increase to 4G Ram? Will I see any significant difference? The total upgrade cost should be around $270 for the OS + Ram.

(What about processor, is it a crazy idea to upgrade processor as well - will cost me more $$$ )

Definitely. I'm running on 2GB ram now and it feels fine. I used to run photoshop on a 512MB RAM and it's slow, but usable. So no reason why yours can't.

The more RAM, the better though.

Hi

Not much of a difference for a 2GB RAM Upgrade because WinXP only support up to a max of 3.2GB RAM. Usually its 3GB only.
    If you are looking for faster processing in photoshop, then you should spend more on graphics card. It can make a difference in image processing, rendering and photoshop loading.

Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    Not much of a difference for a 2GB RAM Upgrade because WinXP only support up to a max of 3.2GB RAM. Usually its 3GB only.
    If you are looking for faster processing in photoshop, then you should spend more on graphics card. It can make a difference in image processing, rendering and photoshop loading.
    64bit XP supports more than 3GB right?

But if editing 2D graphics, graphic card doesn't matter right?

Quote Originally Posted by playplay View Post
    But check whether CS4 supports the graphics card as additional computing power resource. I don't they support everything out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    64bit XP supports more than 3GB right?
    But if editing 2D graphics, graphic card doesn't matter right?
    I learned that CS4 indeed is able to utilize certain graphics cards. But that must be a dedicated one (no onboard chips and shared RAM) and I'm sure not all chips are supported.
    Found a list here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=kb405711

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    I learned that CS4 indeed is able to utilize certain graphics cards. But that must be a dedicated one (no onboard chips and shared RAM) and I'm sure not all chips are supported.
    Found a list here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/view...nalId=kb405711
    Cool. How would it help? Share the load with the CPU or something?

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Cool. How would it help? Share the load with the CPU or something?
    Yes, CS4 is able to utilize the GPU for data processing, although the picture editing is only about 2D. But I have not checked further details here, just came across the topic when I watched a CS4 video.

Yeah, All 32bit operating system can only utillise no more than 3gb of RAM, which includes the graphics card ram.

example if i have a 512mb graphic card, com can only accept 2500mb of additional RAM.

64bit operating system can go up to (theoretically) 16 million terabytes of RAM, (cant rmb exact value.. read somewhere before)

As for CS3 i dont think it utilizes graphic card to help, so if u wan it to be faster den go upgrade processor. Duo core sure can lar, theres not really a minimun limit to use photoshop wat, at most is start up very slow, den when u apply filters or stuff very laggy lar, (depends on your patients).

CS4 i think it uses a bit of graphics card power, i think mostly it uses it to animate things in photoshop cs 4 (Smooth zoom, Drag and release the picture den the picture will "fly" due to its momentum..ect.)
    Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Gitzo GT1541T, GH1780QR Ball head.

Lol, found in wikipedia to backup my memory.. hehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#Memory_limitations

"wikipedia:the emergence of the 64-bit architecture effectively increases the memory ceiling to 264 addresses, equivalent to approximately 17.2 billion gigabytes, 16.8 million terabytes, or 16 exabytes of RAM. To put this in perspective, in the days when 4 MB of main memory was commonplace, the maximum memory ceiling of 232 addresses was about 1,000 times larger than typical memory configurations. Today, when over 2 GB of main memory is common, the ceiling of 264 addresses is about ten trillion times larger, i.e., ten billion times more headroom than the 232 case."

Based on your replies, it seems like sticking to my XP Home + my current 2G Ram should be just fine.

The reason I decided not to go CS4 is because it will be too demanding on my humble machine, and it probably has early issues/bugs which are still unresolved at this stage. In addition, there's plenty of books in the library for CS3, CS2, CS. But for CS4, the competition for free library books will be high, since everyone wants to learn this new piece of software.

By the way, just to let you guys know, DELL is offering the 2408 WFP at a good discount now. Happy new year and hope this may be a good offer for anyone who are interested in this model: http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellsto...&oc=S142408WSG

As for sticking to xp and 2 gb, its a good choice, vista has many compatibility problems. only thing is looks nice and stuff only. Microsoft is extending support for xp to mid 2009, so still got lots of time.

Difference between cs3 and cs4 from what i heard is not much, i think cs 4 is just a nice to have. (does not have a really really really new esential tool that will make all your photographs look better)

As for Switching to cs4, it only adds the option of sharing some of the load with the graphics card, otherwise i think both cs3 and cs4 min requirements are the same.. so even your humble computer will run cs4 at the same speed, or maybe even faster than it ran cs3.

You could add in 2 more gig of ram to run in 128bits ddr2 mode since they are rather cheap now. (even if you could only use 3gb)

Upgrade to XP pro is rather a waste of money. Wait for Win7.

Maybe could consider adding more storage if you have cash to burn.

My 2 cents:

Just get 4GB of ram since ram is so cheap now. Last I checked(sat) it was like $27 for 2Gb stick of DDR2 800 ram. As for XP pro, I dun think there i much difference between pro and home for using photoshop. As for the 32bit os thingy, well taking into consideration that you have 4GB after the upgrade and unless you play alot of games and use a highend card, you should still have about 3.2GB of ram using a mid range graphic card with 512MB.

Which is more than enough for photoshop stuff. Unless of cos you open huge megapixel in raw format that I would be wondering why you are not using a higher end pc liaos.

Of course if you are thinking of spending $270, can I suggest getting 2x2GB 800 rams and a new HD4850 graphic card? all still in budget and you get a card that can be used for CS4 and is quite a decent gaming card as well
    Last edited by Kenneth83; 31st December 2008 at 11:33 AM.

A dual core with speed of 3GHz + 4GB ram + 512mb vga card and lastly your harddisk (WD raptor or raid 5 WD Black) need to be fast too to enjoy the speedly processing/gaming.

ME using quad core overclock + 4GB + 512mb VGA normal HDD.... waiting for hdd price to drop next yr.

mine is pentium 4 ht

1.5Gb ram no lag

Hi, I need to clarify.

All along, I was told that XP Home can only 'recognize' or use up to 2G of Ram only. However, it seems like some of you are recommending that I upgrade to 3G or 4G or Ram, because Ram is cheap (which I do agree - GEIL Kit set 1G x 2pcs sells at $60).

I need to confirm, can xp HOME use beyond 2G of Ram?

If Yes, can someone guide me on how to activate the 'switch to 3G' thing?

Humbee - I'm quite blur over which is correct

TS, your PC specs are fine.

The main problem, as I see it, lies in your camera and what you want to do with your pictures.

If you have a 12MP camera shooting at 14bit RAW, stitching many pictures to form a panorama etc., your PC will hang for a long time.

That happened to me. But I rather take the time to make a cup of coffee than to go and assemble a new PC.

Hi, I need to clarify.

All along, I was told that XP Home can only 'recognize' or use up to 2G of Ram only. However, it seems like some of you are recommending that I upgrade to 3G or 4G or Ram, because Ram is cheap (which I do agree - GEIL Kit set 1G x 2pcs sells at $60).

I need to confirm, can xp HOME use beyond 2G of Ram?

If Yes, can someone guide me on how to activate the 'switch to 3G' thing?

Humbee - I'm quite blur over which is correct

YES I CONFIRM you can use more than 2GB of memory for XP HOME

To activate your XP Home to have 3GB of RAM just Power off your system,
    open the CPU casing, slot in the additional RAM, close back and power on.
    Actually to everyone in here, there's a way to force XP 32bit systems to
    fully utilize 4Gb of RAM but end day the extra would still be wasted because
    no application calls that memory location.

Though I agree memory is cheap but let's all not forget that we need
    extra HDD space for us to store pictures! wonder if anyone have a 4Tb
    worth of diskspace. ehhe

Hi.

By the way, what is 'TS'? I not very good with short forms. (it took me a long time to realize that LOL refers to 'laughing out loud' so pai-say)

Okay, now that I know I can use more than 3G Ram for XP Home, I'm going to get additional GEIL 800 Ram soon. (Yes, I have 3 hard disks on my PC, 2 SATA, 1 IDE. Someone told me IDE will slow things down, and I may remove it and install another SATA instead.)

What about that 'switch to 3G' thing which I heard people talk about. I thought we must activate this feature in order for the applications to be able to use the additional RAM?

Just 1 more point to add, my motherboard is the Gigabyte: GA-965P-DS3, not sure if this is a good enough model. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2314

Humbee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast