Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital camera recommendation

Thumbs up Digital camera recommendation

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum as well as digital cameras. I'm thinking of getting a digital camera and would like to seek your recommendations for one. Being no pro, I shall need an idiot-proof one. I'm prepared to pay up to 1,400.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TRiShnDaisy
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum as well as digital cameras. I'm thinking of getting a digital camera and would like to seek your recommendations for one. Being no pro, I shall need an idiot-proof one. I'm prepared to pay up to 1,400.

My suggestion try out those camera in the camerashop and see which one you like, then read up more on that camera.

If you visit here often, you will notice the current hype is Canon DSLR 300D.

Let me dig out a thread to help you....
    Last edited by Snowcrash; 19th September 2003 at 02:45 PM.

Try reading this thread:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ght=buy+camera

But the models mentioned in that link might be 'old' now consider how fast the company push out their new products like every 6 months?

You have lots of pictures of your poodle on your website... and probably have been doing very fine with a normal film point and shoot I presume.

A entry-level digital point and shoot (PnS) camera can be had for less than $400, even $300 from large manufacturers. Snowcrash's suggestion of trying the cams first is a good idea - take your time to research and decide.

When you are shopping for your digital camera, remember that you still need some some cash for the memory card. It is not cheap.

off my mind, i would think of the canon G5... me thinks its the best camera thats within your budget... its a prosumer digital camera. not a dslr...

Hi TRiShnDaisy, $1400 is a lot of moolah for a "beginner" digicam.

If you're female (which your nick seem to suggest), then maybe you should check out nice and slim digicams like the Canon Ixus 400, Casio Exilim EX-Z4, Minolta Dimage Xt, Nikon Coolpix SQ. Those are more "carry-able" than bigger digicams like the Canon G5.

go to review sites like www.dpreview.com www.steves-digicams.com etc etc

you will find more partial reviews than most comments from here.

Default I'm confusssssssed!

Man, there are so many to choose from! *lost*

My suggestion:
    - go for the market leader brands, you cannot go wrong because so many people are buying their brands, even though you go wrong, you can always sell it at 2nd hand market easily. Who are the leaders? Nikon/Canon/Sony.

- once you know the brand you want, list down all their models that is within your budget, in general the higher cost models have better features.

- after you identify your brand and model, surf the website for reviews and make sure you are happy with what you see.

- then send out e-quotation to various camera shops in Singapore, compare prices and go for it.

Then try to narrow your fields of choice. Primary considerations.

Ask yourself;

i. How many megapixels you prefer your camera to have?
    ii. Optical Zoom. Howfar do you need to reach?
    iii. Why type of batteries do you prefer the camera run on? (AA/Li-On)
    iv. Fast auto focus?
    v. What kind of pictures do you want to take primarily? (Posed shots? Landscapes? Animal in action? Action/Sports?)

I believe you will need a consumer/prosumer camera with relatively fast AF since you do like shooting your pet poodle to capture her while she's running around. However, if you are more into shooting posed pet portraits, then it's a thing altogether.

Yes, there may be alot of consideration, but it's worth thinking about it if you are going to splash out $1400.

Hope this helps.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

Default What about Olympus?

Nobody seems to mention Olympus....?

1. I'll like to have 4-5 megapix.
    2. I guess the further the better?
    3. Seems like AA's better...easily replaceable...don't have to worry about battery running out?
    4. Fast auto focus...uh huh.
    5. Oooh...all sorts!

Gosh I'm just shaming myself in public here. I'm clueless!

3. Seems like AA's better...easily replaceable...don't have to worry about battery running out?
    5. Oooh...all sorts!

wah you seem to want everything...
    are you accustomed to the relatively fast autofocus of a film slr? if you are, no consumer or prosumer digital cam will satisfy you... then you need DSLR

but what is the fastest focussing consumer prosumer digicam?
    4-5mega is easy to find.
    long zoom range simple too
    AA batteries easy too

so i guess the issue will be the fast AF right?
    anything to recommend guys?

i think you are looking at a coolpix 5700... but its abit over your budget.

Default Af....

Uh oh...I hope I haven't misinterpreted 'AF'....isn't it like I point and the camera auto focuses and then I shoot?

I shouldn't be going for a DSLR. I'm much too amatuerish as should probably tell by now.

I guess I also don't need too many features so I probably won't know how to fully utilise them anyway.

5. Oooh...all sorts!

First of all, welcome to ClubSNAP!

How about joining us at this coming Seed, you'll get much more advices. Details here,

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=44801

Uh oh...I hope I haven't misinterpreted 'AF'....isn't it like I point and the camera auto focuses and then I shoot?

I shouldn't be going for a DSLR. I'm much too amatuerish as should probably tell by now.

I guess I also don't need too many features so I probably won't know how to fully utilise them anyway.
    The Olympus C5050 seemed like a good bet.
    The Canon PowerShot A70 is more economical (< SGD$600) while
    the Canon G5 should be quite ample for your needs.

Most importantly, drop by any camera shop and go test out the camera. Hold it, feel it, touch it and see if you like the way it handles...

Maybe, from there, you'll get a better idea.

Cheers.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

yah...point and press the button and the camera will auto focus...(AF) and the time the camera takes to AF varries from camera to camera...

your requirement for 5mp and long zoom range limits you to only the best of the comsumer cameras....

yep dslr might not be what you want... but just keeping all options open...hehe

HI i am new here
    currently waiting for the fujifilm finepix s7000 to be out in the market.

with a 6 MP fourth generation CCD and 6x Optical zoom. I gave up my c4040z for it
    Shld cost less than 1400

Default Seed @ 24 Sept

Thanks, Togu. That's a good suggestion. What time do you guys normally stay till? I'll probably reach there around 6.30 - 7 pm.

showtime, wolfgang, astin, dbchoong, igpenguin, snowcrash - you guys going too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast