Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: difference or perfection

  1. #21
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Wah !.>That is truly "deep" man heh
    Uniformity doesn't mean its good... only good to those who have no idea what to do, or forced to do so for sake of "fairness". You copy me, I copy u.. we learn from each other, no?

    Or some ppl don't wanna do things outside of their comfort zones in fear of being teased at cos of their "different approach? Once u're being recognised, u'll be called a pioneer.

    "You laugh at me because I'm different,
    I laugh at you because you're all the same"
    Last edited by redstone; 30th December 2008 at 09:42 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    "You laugh at me because I'm different,
    I laugh at you because you're all the same"
    i think u think too much liao, TS is talking about photographs not people.

  3. #23
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i think u think too much liao, TS is talking about photographs not people.
    Ok

    "You laugh at me because my photographs are different
    I laugh at you because your photographs are all alike"


  4. #24

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Does it matter so much to you what others think of your photos?

    Will the sun stop rising tomorrow if others don't like your composition?

    Is time going to stop if someone hates the tilt level in your scenic shot?

    Do you go through life by only relying on what others say?

    Is your enjoyment and pleasures of a hobby dictated by others?

    If your answers to all the above is YES, you seriously need a healthy dose of reality and some psychiatric help.
    Last edited by ClipperSG; 31st December 2008 at 12:05 AM.
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Ok

    "You laugh at me because my photographs are different
    I laugh at you because your photographs are all alike"

    but why are u laughing?

  6. #26
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    but why are u laughing?
    Cos "I" think "your" photos are all alike.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Cos "I" think "your" photos are all alike.
    wouldn't that kind of laughter be rather mean?

  8. #28
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    wouldn't that kind of laughter be rather mean?
    Since "you" laughed at "me" for being different... "I" can also laugh at "u all" from being the same

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Since "you" laughed at "me" for being different... "I" can also laugh at "u all" from being the same
    mirroring effect.

  10. #30
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    mirroring effect.
    Thats right.

    Whenever ppl criticise others, they fail to realise that they themselves are not perfect too.

    Who's to judge who's different?

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Thats right.

    Whenever ppl criticise others, they fail to realise that they themselves are not perfect too.

    Who's to judge who's different?
    again,.. this is about photographs not people.

  12. #32
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    again,.. this is about photographs not people.


    Whenever ppl criticise others' photos, they fail to realise that their photos themselves are not perfect too.

    Who's to judge who's different?

    Last edited by redstone; 1st January 2009 at 05:40 AM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    Does it matter so much to you what others think of your photos?
    if you say that you don't get the point

    if it doesn't matter to you what others think of your photos, then you should not post them online.

    nothing wrong with loving your photos, but to claim that they are artistic and good, if others think that they are not, is delusional. i think that's the point being made here.

    it is after all, always about the popular opinion when it comes to art.

    sure, some artists become famous after their death. but do you think they care?

  14. #34

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    people need to watch "the coffin is too big for the hole"

    it is a good show that brings across what you're trying to say.

    the script is still somewhere in the library, if you look hard enough, under singapore literature section.

  15. #35

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    this is original. the only one from production.


  16. #36

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if you say that you don't get the point

    if it doesn't matter to you what others think of your photos, then you should not post them online.

    nothing wrong with loving your photos, but to claim that they are artistic and good, if others think that they are not, is delusional. i think that's the point being made here.

    it is after all, always about the popular opinion when it comes to art.

    sure, some artists become famous after their death. but do you think they care?
    So based on your thoughts, then there is no place for someone to simply share his photos, without it being turned into an "artistic" commentary everytime?

    I guess it would be safe to assume then that a person that posts photos online does have a trace of narcissim in them in wanting others to look at them as an art form? "...popular opinion when it comes to art"...since when did the whole world agree that photography is an art?

    Or is that something conjured out by "pros" to define themselves from those that use photography as a non-art tool? I would hardly guess that journalistic photography can be defined as art in the proper sense.

    Therein lies the whole problem within this forum. There are those like you, who regard photography as an art form, and you are more than entitled to take that line of thought. But to assume and treat everybody else's photographs as art, and to use your "artistic" standards as a benchmark is not very enlightening.

    There are people who regard photography as a tool to capture events for posterity. There are people who use it for objective purposes to tell a story. And there are those that simply enjoy the process of shooting a photo, without being too worried about the end shot.

    To paint with a broad brush (no pun intended) across these swath of photographers, and judge them by your "artistic standards" would be to treat them as not worthy of even holding a camera, lest they cross your "artistic boundaries" of what a good photograph is. To just paraphrase what you have typed in the other thread.."if you always put yourself on a higher moral ground, and think you are the moral absolute, which no one should - then you know what it means." So who are we to judge a person's photographs on an artistic high ground?

    The Joy of Photography (copyright Kodak) encompasses a wider meaning than just having the best equipment available or having the money art-shot. Its about the fun in looking at the world and capturing its moments through a man-made device. Its about the fun in trying to get a shot that one wants, even if its not artistically intended. Its about recording life's happiest moments for posterity. Its about spreading that joy to others so that they will enjoy it.

    Perhaps, the artistic evaluation of a photograph should be left to the Critique Corner in the forum, as that's where the greatest concentration of "art photographers" seem to congregate. The rest of the "non-art photographers" just, perhaps, want to only have a good time taking photographs.
    Last edited by ClipperSG; 31st December 2008 at 09:56 AM.
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

  17. #37

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    of course there are sites, but people have the means and ways to comment here in clubsnap. places like facebook or friendster or whatever gallery you have, you can have the absolute power to modify commentary. that's your own onus.

    my point is simple.

    where you let people comment, people will comment. so don't get mad at them when you posted in a place where they can comment and you cannot do anything about it.

    in short, if you put your piece of paper where people are welcomed to write things all over it, don't get mad when you get a paper full of ink at the end of the day.

    this has nothing to do with artistic standards, like i said, people should shoot for their enjoyment, i do it all the time; and i acknowledge that i am anal, have said it maybe 8000 times. but if you gag me because you think that no one should be gagged (your freedom to shoot, my freedom to speak on what you shoot), then you are slapping yourself in your face, don't you think?

    you have put up a strawman argument; that because i argue that people should expect artistic commentary on their photos means that everyone has to shoot artistic photos, that is hogwash, i never said that. read what i said again. if you have not comprehended the point i wanted to put across, writing a wall of text with regards to your mistaken interpretation is a waste of your precious time.

    go, go forth and shoot, but expecting everyone to accomodate to your viewpoint that all photos should be shot and judged on how much enjoyment the shooter garners from it; in the end, with all your perceived morality and accomodativeness you are no different. like you say, we just have different standards.
    Last edited by night86mare; 31st December 2008 at 10:05 AM.

  18. #38

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    To just paraphrase what you have typed in the other thread.."if you always put yourself on a higher moral ground, and think you are the moral absolute, which no one should - then you know what it means." So who are we to judge a person's photographs on an artistic high ground?
    ...

    you equate morality with art?

    it is like calling an ant a cockroach.

    with no artistic high ground, what is art? everything is art, from a 3 year old's scrawling of nonsense on the wall, to a well-executed photograph, to anything. literally anything. my toenail shavings lying in the dustbin randomly can also be called art.

    there will always be an artistic high ground, so do not insult art or its high ground by equating morality with art.
    Last edited by night86mare; 31st December 2008 at 10:21 AM.

  19. #39
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if you say that you don't get the point

    if it doesn't matter to you what others think of your photos, then you should not post them online.

    nothing wrong with loving your photos, but to claim that they are artistic and good, if others think that they are not, is delusional. i think that's the point being made here.

    it is after all, always about the popular opinion when it comes to art.

    sure, some artists become famous after their death. but do you think they care?
    Igonorance isn't always neccessary bliss. Maybe only bliss to those who don't care (not neccessary in the bad sense) about how people think about their photos.

  20. #40

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    of course there are sites, but people have the means and ways to comment here in clubsnap. places like facebook or friendster or whatever gallery you have, you can have the absolute power to modify commentary. that's your own onus.

    my point is simple.

    where you let people comment, people will comment. so don't get mad at them when you posted in a place where they can comment and you cannot do anything about it.

    in short, if you put your piece of paper where people are welcomed to write things all over it, don't get mad when you get a paper full of ink at the end of the day.

    this has nothing to do with artistic standards, like i said, people should shoot for their enjoyment, i do it all the time; and i acknowledge that i am anal, have said it maybe 8000 times. but if you gag me because you think that no one should be gagged (your freedom to shoot, my freedom to speak on what you shoot), then you are slapping yourself in your face, don't you think?

    you have put up a strawman argument; that because i argue that people should expect artistic commentary on their photos means that everyone has to shoot artistic photos, that is hogwash, i never said that. read what i said again. if you have not comprehended the point i wanted to put across, writing a wall of text with regards to your mistaken interpretation is a waste of your precious time.

    go, go forth and shoot, but expecting everyone to accomodate to your viewpoint that all photos should be shot and judged on how much enjoyment the shooter garners from it; in the end, with all your perceived morality and accomodativeness you are no different. like you say, we just have different standards.
    Oh, I'm sorry that I've a wrong impression of ClubSNAP being a general photography forum in Singapore. I now realised from your statement it is the main hotbed for artistic commentary on photographs, as opposed to Facebook or other gallery sites.

    I did not say anything about you or anybody else not being able to comment on photographs posted here. In fact, commentary should be encouraged on a public forum.

    But I think what you fail to see in my viewpoint, and others who have mentioned it in other threads, is the basis and spirit in which the comments were made.

    If the shot is taken by a newcomer to a DSLR system, wouldn't it make more sense and be more helpful to frame the comments in helping him to understand more about his DSLR system? As opposed to an "artistic-based" commentary where even the tilting horizon is dragged out through the mud? Perhaps it might be more practical in asking if the person has an issue in holding a DSLR causing the tilt, and what suggestions can be done to help him with it.

    Or are we so "experienced" now, that we forgot what it was like to hold a 1kg DSLR in the hands for the first time, and trying to take a portrait shot without a vertical grip? Or the problems in understanding the relationship between the various settings and switches on a DSLR?

    Would it be all that difficult, for once, to truly help a person in the forum, by posting comments that will help him practically? Let's take a simple question..when was the last time you composed and sent a 2-part PM to another CSer, detailing the steps in using the black card method to help him take firework shots? Or are you only going to only sit there and comment on his firework shots being "artistically" overexposed?
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •