Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72

Thread: difference or perfection

  1. #1

    Default difference or perfection

    " ... This I must admit is an original ... "

    I quoted the above statement from another thread/post.

    This got me to start pondering, and my conclusion is, there is really not much that can be claimed as original in photography, and definately not much that can be claimed as original on Club Snap.

    This is not a slam on Club Snap, but that is just life/fact/reality.

    However, I got a question for everyone, shooting something different and executing it badly or shooting something that had been done before but to perfection, which one will you prefer?

    Just ranting on a very tired boring lethargic morning.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    technically speaking it depends on the picture itself. photography as an art is always very subjective.

    "the eye of the beholder"


  3. #3

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post

    However, I got a question for everyone, shooting something different and executing it badly or shooting something that had been done before but to perfection, which one will you prefer?

    Just ranting on a very tired boring lethargic morning.
    i prefer shooting something different and executing it well.

    when that cannot be done, shooting something that had been done before is fine with me.

    there is no use for bad execution. if i don't know how to execute something, better to read up and learn how to, or try, and not post up pictures.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    i must first know what i dont know how to execute properly so i can better do it next time. i got to admit i still got to draw inspirations elsewhere sometimes and reverse others' photos to learn, trying to attempt at creating one myself only tells me how much more i need to know and how sucky i am.

    perhaps my take is shooting something taken before but doing it differently. does that count?

  5. #5

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    There is no one way to do this right, every which way is fine.

    However, I totally agree with nightmare, poor execution is no excuse.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  6. #6

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    being different is overrated.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    390

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    being different is overrated.
    It depends on how you reward yourself with a stress relief program or activity.

    Know your motives - why we do what we do.
    This process helps us go deeper into our reasoning,
    habits and unconscious beliefs.

    Continue with this process to reach the true source of your
    motivation.

    -----------------------------------------------------
    Men are more accountable for their motives,
    than for anything else..."
    - Archibald Alexander


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    There is no one way to do this right, every which way is fine.

    However, I totally agree with nightmare, poor execution is no excuse.
    how about real greenhorn newbies? if they post, will they get slammed? i remember when i first started off, i liked some flower photo so much i posted to get critique and got slammed.

    the difference is so vast that i thought that picture was SOOOO nice but its a plain boring picture to everyone on CS already. from nightmare's last sentence, to me i will still post and get slammed, maybe choked slammed but that pain can wake me up especially if i know that i learnt something and if it can speed up the learning process somewhat.

    back to constructive criticism.

  9. #9

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post

    the difference is so vast that i thought that picture was SOOOO nice but its a plain boring picture to everyone on CS already. from nightmare's last sentence, to me i will still post and get slammed, maybe choked slammed but that pain can wake me up especially if i know that i learnt something and if it can speed up the learning process somewhat.

    back to constructive criticism.
    i had my fair share of getting slammed

    should do a search for my old old old threads

  10. #10
    Deregistered scandal599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Escaped from Gotham Asylum
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    I remembered a post by a CSer in P&P where we said "beauty of imperfection". I guess that many people when they post pics, they often have an idea in mind that a picture need not be 100% perfect. There can be flaws. The question is what type of flaws. Some of which can be overlooked, but some cannot when it sticks out like a sore thumb.

    To put in context. A man made diamond and a natural diamond. If placed both side by side in the form of jewelry, there is no difference between the two. Yet the man made diamond is used mainly for industrial purposes like drilling. If we look at a natural diamond, the diamond has flaws due to the natural formation. Yet people are willing to pay astronomical prices despite the flaws that exist. Is there a difference in looks between the two? In reality no. But yet people are willing to pay for a natural.

    In this case, while I definitely prefer to be perfect, I guess there are certain flaws that we can or have to live with. If something is imperfect to a point where everyone says so, then it is back to the drawing board. One person saying it can be dismissed, two saying the same thing must be considered but three in chorus, then better think again and restart.

    Since two cents are cliched...this is my twenty dollars worth.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by scandal599 View Post
    I remembered a post by a CSer in P&P where we said "beauty of imperfection". I guess that many people when they post pics, they often have an idea in mind that a picture need not be 100% perfect. There can be flaws. The question is what type of flaws. Some of which can be overlooked, but some cannot when it sticks out like a sore thumb.

    To put in context. A man made diamond and a natural diamond. If placed both side by side in the form of jewelry, there is no difference between the two. Yet the man made diamond is used mainly for industrial purposes like drilling. If we look at a natural diamond, the diamond has flaws due to the natural formation. Yet people are willing to pay astronomical prices despite the flaws that exist. Is there a difference in looks between the two? In reality no. But yet people are willing to pay for a natural.

    In this case, while I definitely prefer to be perfect, I guess there are certain flaws that we can or have to live with. If something is imperfect to a point where everyone says so, then it is back to the drawing board. One person saying it can be dismissed, two saying the same thing must be considered but three in chorus, then better think again and restart.

    Since two cents are cliched...this is my twenty dollars worth.
    no matter what, there will be persons supporting both sides of the photo, don't worry you wont find everyone disagreeing on your flaws

    i think your 20 dollars has some spare change helping me on the heart photo

  12. #12
    Deregistered scandal599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Escaped from Gotham Asylum
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    no matter what, there will be persons supporting both sides of the photo, don't worry you wont find everyone disagreeing on your flaws

    i think your 20 dollars has some spare change helping me on the heart photo

    No problem dude...anytime.

  13. #13

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by scandal599 View Post
    I remembered a post by a CSer in P&P where we said "beauty of imperfection". I guess that many people when they post pics, they often have an idea in mind that a picture need not be 100% perfect. There can be flaws. The question is what type of flaws. Some of which can be overlooked, but some cannot when it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    of course there is imperfection, i don't mean to offend, just being blunt here

    but there is no perfect photo.

    there is always so much to improve, and the more you think about it the less any photo becomes.

  14. #14
    Deregistered scandal599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Escaped from Gotham Asylum
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    of course there is imperfection, i don't mean to offend, just being blunt here

    but there is no perfect photo.

    there is always so much to improve, and the more you think about it the less any photo becomes.
    No worries. None taken.

    Just that I remembered this:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jermic.

    Seeing that DP has posted this thread, thought it might be something to contemplate.

  15. #15

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    yes, like i always say, comments are always good for you if you have an open heart and mind and you believe the person commenting has good intentions.

    what the person said in that thread is true, deadpoet is harsh, but he always seeks improvement. maybe he doesn't exactly care for the photographer in question as a person, but i think he cares about the pictures, about how the women are portrayed, and it shows.

    views can differ, but a good picture remains a good picture, and a bad picture remains a bad one. just because someone has a negative comment about your picture doesn't mean it is the end of the world. if i wanted to, i could probably find a negative comment about any famous photo made in history if i wanted to nitpick. it's just how much the good outweighs the bad, and allows us to overlook the bad.

  16. #16
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    being different is overrated.
    and being common is great? eh abit ironic leh considering u're quite the individualist.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  17. #17
    Deregistered scandal599's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Escaped from Gotham Asylum
    Posts
    563

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, like i always say, comments are always good for you if you have an open heart and mind and you believe the person commenting has good intentions.

    what the person said in that thread is true, deadpoet is harsh, but he always seeks improvement. maybe he doesn't exactly care for the photographer in question as a person, but i think he cares about the pictures, about how the women are portrayed, and it shows.

    views can differ, but a good picture remains a good picture, and a bad picture remains a bad one. just because someone has a negative comment about your picture doesn't mean it is the end of the world. if i wanted to, i could probably find a negative comment about any famous photo made in history if i wanted to nitpick. it's just how much the good outweighs the bad, and allows us to overlook the bad.
    agreed on that. guess we all need to have humility if any improvements are to be desired.

  18. #18

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    and being common is great? eh abit ironic leh considering u're quite the individualist.
    no, being different is just overrated.I never said being common is great either haha

  19. #19
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    "You laugh at me cos I'm different

    I laugh at you cos you're all alike"


  20. #20
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: difference or perfection

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    "You laugh at me cos I'm different

    I laugh at you cos you're all alike"

    Wah !.>That is truly "deep" man heh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •