Thread: Don't Worry, I'm with you

Default Don't Worry, I'm with you

Under what circumstances was the picture taken?

This was taken on a recent holiday in Penang. I wanted to capture the 'feeling' that the man was there to give his companion, who took a long time to be coaxed to take the ride, the assurance that all will be all right, hence title of the thread. Besides, it was a sunny afternoon and the sky was cloudless and blue which I thought formed an excellent background for the colorful parachute.

In what area is critique sought?

1. What do members think of the composition? Should I have positioned the parachute a little bit to the left?

2. How can I boost the saturation of the sky to make it really dark blue? I'm using Photoshop Elements 5 and this is a far as I can get.

What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?

I like the colors of the parachute and it provides a good contrast to the blue sky. However, where I think it failed is the 'feeling' I was trying to capture.

Thank you for viewing. I look forward to your constructive comments.

Default Re: Don't Worry, I'm with you

i think it is too far to the right.

like the color of the parachute against the sky.

but i dont get the feel as per the title. cause the main subject i feel is the parachute in the photo.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Too much empty space on the left. Should crop so the parachute is place on the upper left with the lines leading down to the 2 guys. Yes, the colors of the parachute is the subject here, not the 2 guys.

At first glance, my attention was drawn to the colors of the parachute.

Maybe if you had captured the sea as well, to show how high up the 2 guys are, you might be able to capture the feeling.

Off-topic, I can't help but find the pose of the 2 guys a little...
    Haha
    Nikon D80 - 18-55mm
    Flickr | DeviantArt

Is this better?

nice! i think it wld lk better cropped square... and if u up the clrs it might look like taken with a holga or something.. i think u missed the 'feeling' because of the way u worded you title...
    just 'i'm with you' would suffice i think? ... then it's got a bit of childlike nostalgia, if that's what u're going for.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    Too much empty space on the left. Should crop so the parachute is place on the upper left with the lines leading down to the 2 guys. Yes, the colors of the parachute is the subject here, not the 2 guys.
    my view just on another way, if can try to increase the left and top part blue sky, let the people small and on right lower corner, see if any different to tell?

To me, composition on original picture is alright IF you add in clouds to the sky.
    Other than that, exposure is fine and colouirs of parachute looks great.
    If you cud install photoshop CS3 and learn to add in clouds and abit more pping, it
    can easily be an advert pic..!!!

A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by RayTravis View Post
    To me, composition on original picture is alright IF you add in clouds to the sky.
    Other than that, exposure is fine and colouirs of parachute looks great.
    If you cud install photoshop CS3 and learn to add in clouds and abit more pping, it
    can easily be an advert pic..!!!

Looks like I should upgrade to CS3 when I have the budget. Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Nenjia View Post
    my view just on another way, if can try to increase the left and top part blue sky, let the people small and on right lower corner, see if any different to tell?
    Afraid I can't increase the top part of the blue sky as the picture was framed that way by the camera.

Thank you all for your comments. I am learning a lot from Critique Corner

no need to pay $xxxx for cs3...
    google GIMP... it's open source n FREE... and just as good. CS3 has a lot of functions u will never need/ use for just photo editing

Quote Originally Posted by brinkwine View Post
    no need to pay $xxxx for cs3...
    google GIMP... it's open source n FREE... and just as good. CS3 has a lot of functions u will never need/ use for just photo editing

ive used gimp before. crazy stuff, yes its free but it aint easy to get used to plus its slow to load. i rather use picasa.

...and i think functions in photoshop are on a "are you bothered to learn how to use them" kind of thing. after much playing around with it, asking friends and learning online i have started to begin to scratch the surface with my cs2. btw i played with cs3...not that much difference lar.
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

Hi,

In terms of composition - I would agree that the moving object normally goes to the left, so there is lots of space on the right for the car / bike / runner to move into.

To make it darker around the edges you can add a vignette - google 'action central' as there are lots of good (and bad) actions that can do the job for you.

cheers Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by hope107fm View Post

Is this better?
    not dramatic anymore if you fill the screen with the subject; too tight.
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

Quote Originally Posted by hope107fm View Post

Is this better?
    Okay. First of all I must put one big disclaimer that I am not trying to claim the ownership of the altered image. It's just a demonstration for the TS.
    To: TS. This image will be taken off after 1 week of earlier if you request to do so.

You don't crop the image just to make it frame up right sometimes, you have to do more work than just framing. To me PP is important if the capture part didn't turn out good
    Just a couple of minute works using photoshop. You can try it yourself too Purely cloning

No offence I hope

D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

do not like what has been suggested here, i.e. crop and clone.but everyone has their own level of tolerance to modifying pictures.

the space doesn't work, so chop off the space! a simple square crop from the original posted here will do, and i would not saturate the whole picture, just the parachute. not sure if you can do it in gimp though.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    do not like what has been suggested here, i.e. crop and clone.but everyone has their own level of tolerance to modifying pictures.

the space doesn't work, so chop off the space! a simple square crop from the original posted here will do, and i would not saturate the whole picture, just the parachute. not sure if you can do it in gimp though.
    Indeed you are right, everyone has their own level of tolerance. But you have also mentioned it clearly. It's just a suggestion. it's up to TS, I don't tell him/her what he/she should do. I just give my piece of opinion cum demonstration.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

yep.

anyways, i would think no need to apologise for editing picture, so long as you don't do something like adding your own watermark, critique corner is a relatively tolerant section when it comes to suggested edits.

sometimes a picture says a thousand words, so rather than describing and describing, it is better to just play with it and show how. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Okay. First of all I must put one big disclaimer that I am not trying to claim the ownership of the altered image. It's just a demonstration for the TS.
    To: TS. This image will be taken off after 1 week of earlier if you request to do so.

You don't crop the image just to make it frame up right sometimes, you have to do more work than just framing. To me PP is important if the capture part didn't turn out good
    Just a couple of minute works using photoshop. You can try it yourself too Purely cloning

No offence I hope

No offence taken. In fact, I welcome various approach to the composition. What you have done is not bad either and, in my view, an improvement over the square crop. That's my preference after comparing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yep.

anyways, i would think no need to apologise for editing picture, so long as you don't do something like adding your own watermark, critique corner is a relatively tolerant section when it comes to suggested edits.

sometimes a picture says a thousand words, so rather than describing and describing, it is better to just play with it and show how. cheers.
    Thanks for your input, night86mare. I've always been very much enlightened by your posts.