Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Advise in Cropping for 4R pics

  1. #1

    Default Advise in Cropping for 4R pics

    Hi

    How do I crop my digital images so that it's suitable for 4R printing and it won't degrade the quality of the image?

    Normally take pic of 1600 x 1200 in size... What will happen to the quality of the pics if I crop a small/lager area to 1024 x 768 in size?

    Xie xie (thanks)

  2. #2

    Default

    You can crop it to 1600 x 1067 in size, but you will lose some parts of the photo.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    984

    Default

    it depends on the resolution of the printer...
    rule of thumb. do not crop such that the final resolution is less than that of the printer.

    eg if the printer is 300dpi, then your 4R pic should be 1200x1800 at least...

    also be aware that the digital aspect ration is not the standard 1.5x used in 4R pictures....so be sure to crop to 1.5x aspect ratio.. (4R means 4inch x 6inch)
    (aspect ration meaning that you multiply 4 by 1.5 to get 6)

    you are using a 2 mega pixel digicam... 1200 x 1600 if you notice is NOT 1.5x aspect ratio...

    just some extra advice incase you get a shock after printint the 4R...

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by showtime
    it depends on the resolution of the printer...
    rule of thumb. do not crop such that the final resolution is less than that of the printer.

    eg if the printer is 300dpi, then your 4R pic should be 1200x1800 at least...

    also be aware that the digital aspect ration is not the standard 1.5x used in 4R pictures....so be sure to crop to 1.5x aspect ratio.. (4R means 4inch x 6inch)
    (aspect ration meaning that you multiply 4 by 1.5 to get 6)

    you are using a 2 mega pixel digicam... 1200 x 1600 if you notice is NOT 1.5x aspect ratio...

    just some extra advice incase you get a shock after printint the 4R...
    Thanks
    Will take note of that...

    But if I wanna to send it to Standard Photo to do the printing, what is the minimum or the optimum resolution?

    Will the cropping degrade the photos?

    Xie Xie...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    984

    Default

    you need to find out the resolution that standard photo prints the pictures... then make sure you dont crop the image to pixel dimentions that are smaller than the resolution...

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octopuz
    Thanks
    Will take note of that...

    But if I wanna to send it to Standard Photo to do the printing, what is the minimum or the optimum resolution?

    Will the cropping degrade the photos?

    Xie Xie...
    Cropping will not degrade the photos, it just cut away part of your photos, that's all. Since your photos are 1600 x 1200, if you are thinking of 4R (3:2 ratio), what you can do in photoshop is, select crop tool, fill in 1600 for the width, and 1066 for the height, and crop.

    Hrm, if you crop only the height (top and bottom), there won't be any resampling work involved, you'll still get a good clean image.

    Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    N01.35574 E103.98870
    Posts
    215

    Default

    Try printing with borders... you don't have to crop your pics then...

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks for all the advices...
    Will go to crop my photos now and send them to Standard Photo...

    Xie xie...

  9. #9

    Default

    Just calculate the print size for 4R...

    Issit more accurate if I use the PS, I set the resolution to 1600 x 1066 and 267dpi under the Crop Tool? So i can exactly get a 6in x 4in pic, rite?

    But does the printer's resolution of Standard Photo using 267dpi?

    So confused about these numeric stuff...

    Xie xie

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octopuz
    Just calculate the print size for 4R...

    Issit more accurate if I use the PS, I set the resolution to 1600 x 1066 and 267dpi under the Crop Tool? So i can exactly get a 6in x 4in pic, rite?

    But does the printer's resolution of Standard Photo using 267dpi?

    So confused about these numeric stuff...

    Xie xie

    You can take a look at this thread,

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=45474


  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Octopuz
    Just calculate the print size for 4R...

    Issit more accurate if I use the PS, I set the resolution to 1600 x 1066 and 267dpi under the Crop Tool? So i can exactly get a 6in x 4in pic, rite?

    But does the printer's resolution of Standard Photo using 267dpi?

    So confused about these numeric stuff...

    Xie xie
    For me, I just set the measurement in PS to inches and leave the pixels column as 600 pixels/inches.

    Then I key in 4 for the width and 6 for the length (for portait) or 6 for the width and 4 for the length (for landscape)

    For 5R just key ( 5" by 7") and so on, never go and memorise pixels and resolutions.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •