Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

  1. #1

    Default Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Hmmm....i've read through some forum about dry boxes, cabinets, silica gels, thirsty hippos, and stuffs, which i just though of something, perhaps already discussed but i missed it.

    If thirsty hippo tends to overdry in a dry box(based on some feedbacks i've read on the forum), how about placing a thirsty hippo in a camera bag? Those that you carry when you bring your camera out, like lowepro, crumpler etc.

    I mean as a storage cum travelling option? Meaning that the thirsty hippo is in the bag all the way, whether you go out shooting or leave your cam in the hse(in the room with the hippo) for a period of time.

    Just something that just came to my mind and thought of asking. Cos it seems like it's the only combo that's not really tried? Wonder what's the effect? Anyone care to share if they tried? Or are they an atrocious idea to even begin with?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Won't that big box of thirsty hippo occupy a lot of space in the camera bag?

    If you are travelling and using your gear often, I don't think fungus will grow. Its mainly during long term storage that it grows...
    Nikon D60 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 18-55mm | Nikon 55-200mm VR | Nikon SB-400

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ang Sua Ville
    Posts
    284

    Smile Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by nothing0 View Post
    Hmmm....i've read through some forum about dry boxes, cabinets, silica gels, thirsty hippos, and stuffs, which i just though of something, perhaps already discussed but i missed it.

    If thirsty hippo tends to overdry in a dry box(based on some feedbacks i've read on the forum), how about placing a thirsty hippo in a camera bag? Those that you carry when you bring your camera out, like lowepro, crumpler etc.

    I mean as a storage cum travelling option? Meaning that the thirsty hippo is in the bag all the way, whether you go out shooting or leave your cam in the hse(in the room with the hippo) for a period of time.

    Just something that just came to my mind and thought of asking. Cos it seems like it's the only combo that's not really tried? Wonder what's the effect? Anyone care to share if they tried? Or are they an atrocious idea to even begin with?

    Logically I think using thirsty hippo in the bag is not a good idea. For stowage, it may dry up the lubricating grease in your lense & moving parts. Or degrade your rubber seals due to over-dryness. Before I carry on, do u intend to use the camera bag as a storage for an oversea trip? From my experience. All u need to do is to use a ziploc bag, placed the camera into it & ziploc from the dry cabinet juz before the trip(maybe alittle silica gel). Once reach destination, allow the camera to "climatised" then u can use it. If you use it further north/south from the equator, it should be alrite as the air tends to be dryer. I'd been doing that for years & my lenses are in good condition
    Last edited by Crabby; 29th December 2008 at 05:48 AM.
    Canon EOS 20D|EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS|EF 17-40mm f/4L|EF 85mmII f1.2L|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|580EX

  4. #4

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Thanks to the wonderful pros for fast replies, really appreaciate them!

    Actually I got this idea because the dry box/tupperware+thirsty hippo, there were feedback that they got too dry, but with the bag+hippo combo, they shldn't be as they're not air tight, so moisture from the air still goes in but part of them gets absorbed by the hippo, which counter the over drying part, by maintaining the RH at a certain value? Please note that this is simply an assumption that i made on my own. I do understand that dry cabinet is still the way to go, but as of now, it's almost impossible for me to have one; personal reasons, not financially, at least for this year or 2 to come....

    Thus contemplating this combo or a simple dry box that i can get from my friend. I do hope for serious replies like the previous ones.

    Thanks in advance.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    The only problem I can foresee is when that filmsy "tracing paper" on the thirsty hippo tear... It's probably a very real problem since you're gonna put it in a camera bag... Carrying the bag around, throwing it a little, something give the "tracing paper" a little poke and it'd be torn.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    question, how are you going to measure the relative humidity in the bag?

    note that the bag isn't airtight, i sincerely question the positive use of putting a hungry hippo there. i would think that you would just be wasting money on hungry hippo and wasting space in your bag with the hungry hippo there.

    better to get a dry cabinet in the long run, if budget is limited, hungry hippo in a dry box is fine, just open it once in a while when the hygrometer says the humidity is too low. or you can always tear half the covering seal off. that's what i did, and it works just fine without turning too dry.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Hmmm...

    Thirsty hippo does come in sachets, just imagine big tea bags.

    Its the kind where U can hang them in the cupboard. About $5 per box, comes with 4 sachets in it.

    I've been using the sachets kind so far, 2 sachets in one dry box last for a month, hygrometer shows 45RH. Coming the end of the month like now, it would show 50-55RH, should change the sachets soon.

    Sachets take up less space in the drybox, unlike the thirsty hippo's in the plastic container kind. & the plastic container kind also has more drying power, ending up in the RH being too low. Might wanna try the sachets, they work fantastic & easily avaliable at supermarkets.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Side
    Posts
    571

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Thirsty hippo does come in satchets..
    I ever using that and put it inside my camera bag.
    But I think it will be a waste since after your shooting, you will put yr camera back inside yr dry cabinet or box and then the thirsty hippo is still left inside the bag and just absorb moisture for nothing.
    Maybe can use it for short holiday travelling.
    Just my 2cents..
    Cheers!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    I think 'xintothezonex' has a good point, the thirsty hippo satchets do make good traveling companions.

    They are compact & can be placed in luggage without take up too much space. Just stash them together in your camera bag when travelling overseas.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ang Sua Ville
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by nothing0 View Post
    Thanks to the wonderful pros for fast replies, really appreaciate them!

    Actually I got this idea because the dry box/tupperware+thirsty hippo, there were feedback that they got too dry, but with the bag+hippo combo, they shldn't be as they're not air tight, so moisture from the air still goes in but part of them gets absorbed by the hippo, which counter the over drying part, by maintaining the RH at a certain value? Please note that this is simply an assumption that i made on my own. I do understand that dry cabinet is still the way to go, but as of now, it's almost impossible for me to have one; personal reasons, not financially, at least for this year or 2 to come....

    Thus contemplating this combo or a simple dry box that i can get from my friend. I do hope for serious replies like the previous ones.

    Thanks in advance.
    Years ago I got this electric silica gel thing. It is in black colour cylinder shaped container with some holes on top. And also a plug/wire for u to 'charge'. What it did actually was to heat up the silica gel inside & hence, changing the color to blue. Then after that, u can put the whole thing together with your camera & seal it. Once the gel turns pink, all u need to do is to 'recharge' again. Used that for quite awhile. I dunno if u can find such 'thing around'. I think a simple drybox wont cost u much too. Unless oversea trip then my suggestion is good 'O Ziploc bag

    As for your bag+hippo combo. Quite difficult to measure the RH unless u have a lightweight/portable meter.
    Last edited by Crabby; 29th December 2008 at 01:37 PM.
    Canon EOS 20D|EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS|EF 17-40mm f/4L|EF 85mmII f1.2L|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|580EX

  11. #11

    Default Re: Thirsty hippo in camera bag?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby View Post
    Years ago I got this electric silica gel thing. It is in black colour cylinder shaped container with some holes on top. And also a plug/wire for u to 'charge'. What it did actually was to heat up the silica gel inside & hence, changing the color to blue. Then after that, u can put the whole thing together with your camera & seal it. Once the gel turns pink, all u need to do is to 'recharge' again. Used that for quite awhile. I dunno if u can find such 'thing around'. I think a simple drybox wont cost u much too. Unless oversea trip then my suggestion is good 'O Ziploc bag

    As for your bag+hippo combo. Quite difficult to measure the RH unless u have a lightweight/portable meter.
    Ic, thanks for everyone's reply. Ermm, crabby, what's the electric silica gel thing called? Is there any brand name to it?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •