Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting my first Dslr

Default Re: Getting my first Dslr

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Bringing NON-weatherproof cameras into rain is just asking for trouble. Who cares if it's a 450D, D40, or a E520. All will be gone in heavy rain. I'm not talking about drizzle.
    I'd disagree...
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    I'd disagree...
    Wanna do a test?

I am also a newbie for DSLR..this is my first picture.

Quote Originally Posted by debs96 View Post
    I am also a newbie for DSLR..this is my first picture.
    And what is the relation to the thread topic? If you want to post your pictures please use the respective subforums. Your picture could be posted in "World of Nature" or "Abstract and Still Live".

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Wanna do a test?
    Already have.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    The noise levels for Olympus can be attributed to the use of the 4/3 sensor system. Because of its small size, noise at high ISO is inevitable. Compared to other brands, it is more noisier, but then you will have to look at the situation you are going to shoot in.

If you are going to spend 60-70% of your shooting time on night shoots or events under lowlight, then perhaps Olympus would not really be suitable for you, since you mentioned that you tend to look at the shots in detail.

Every camera brand and system have pros and cons..it depends on whether do you enter that field of shooting where the cons are very apparent. Because I have no interest in low-light photography, I'm not really bothered about noise levels, therefore the con doesn't become a handicap for me.

One of the 4/3's advantage is the x2 factor for lenses. So using a 70-300mm lens is equivalent to a 140-600mm on the 35mm system. That being said it's still not a 1-to-1 comparison, but its good enough for me.

I do not know how often do you shoot (daily, weekly, monthly? Average number of shots?), and what areas of shooting you are entering, but I do know that the E300 can serve as a first general DSLR on a budget.

After reading your short explanation, I think somehow I get an idea what you are saying..

Yeah, I think and usually the shots will be broad daylight or in house/indoor photography.. seldom will it be "pitch dark" photography.. I guess, even if there is, it would only be once in a while, maybe during certain festivals where there's night events (fireworks).

Maybe like one of them have suggested, E510 or E520 would be just alright, and could get me shots as posted earlier...

Now the problem is.. 1st or 2nd hand? Cause I don't think the 1st hand or E510/E520 is a big difference uh?

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyone View Post
    Now the problem is.. 1st or 2nd hand? Cause I don't think the 1st hand or E510/E520 is a big difference uh?
    There is a few added feature in the E520 compared to the E510, but it have to depend on what you need.... the BnS for E510 would definitely be cheaper...

After reading your short explanation, I think somehow I get an idea what you are saying..

Yeah, I think and usually the shots will be broad daylight or in house/indoor photography.. seldom will it be "pitch dark" photography.. I guess, even if there is, it would only be once in a while, maybe during certain festivals where there's night events (fireworks).

Maybe like one of them have suggested, E510 or E520 would be just alright, and could get me shots as posted earlier...

Is this your first DSLR set that you are purchasing?

If so, then it might be more economical to purchase either the 2nd hand E510 or E520 with its complete lens kit. I've seen it in the Olympus Classified section for around your budget.

Just to point out that the E510 has a slight issue with highlight clipping as compared to the E300. Essentially, when shooting both cameras at a bright sky, you will notice that the E510 clips off the bright areas, losing some details in that area. I've done this test before in Melbourne using a friend's E510. Other than that, it's a fine camera to use.

The last price for a new E520 with a 14-42 and 70-300 was about $1500. I've seen a E510 with 14-42 lens at $500 before. So I would guess you can pick up a second hand E520 with 14-42 at $800 maybe.
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Wink Re: Getting my first Dslr

Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Real professionals work in challenging environs and conditions, so far only olympus can work in these conditions well. Try bringing your 350d in the rain and see what happens.
    Try asking the TS if he is using it in the rain? and if he's pro? anyway, i believe it's a matter of personal choice for what brand of sorts that anyone believes in.

"Olympus is more for discerning users who are real photographers" .. how contradicting~Otherwise, no hard feelings~
    “The soul can not think without a picture.” Aristotle.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    Is this your first DSLR set that you are purchasing?

If so, then it might be more economical to purchase either the 2nd hand E510 or E520 with its complete lens kit. I've seen it in the Olympus Classified section for around your budget.

Just to point out that the E510 has a slight issue with highlight clipping as compared to the E300. Essentially, when shooting both cameras at a bright sky, you will notice that the E510 clips off the bright areas, losing some details in that area. I've done this test before in Melbourne using a friend's E510. Other than that, it's a fine camera to use.

The last price for a new E520 with a 14-42 and 70-300 was about $1500. I've seen a E510 with 14-42 lens at $500 before. So I would guess you can pick up a second hand E520 with 14-42 at $800 maybe.
    1. Which E300 doesn't clip off the bright areas compared to E510??

2. E300 and E510 both came out at different years. In fact a few years apart. Is it wise to get the E300 still? or it's better to get the later version, E510?

3. For a 2nd hand E300 and a 2nd hand E510, how much is then considered cheap or rather reasonable? (I don't want to get extorted)

Thanks!!!

2. E300 and E510 both came out at different years. In fact a few years apart. Is it wise to get the E300 still? or it's better to get the later version, E510?

3. For a 2nd hand E300 and a 2nd hand E510, how much is then considered cheap or rather reasonable? (I don't want to get extorted)

Thanks!!!
    2. Go get E510

3. Check out buy sell thread and compare price there

Thanks!!!
    1. What I meant was that the E300 does not clip off that much on the highlight range as compared to the later models like the E510 or E520. The dynamic range of the models after E300/E500 were reduced slightly (about 0.7EV in highlight). Its across the model range, and not limited to any particular piece in that range.

However, its still good for normal shots that you are intending to take...unless you want to take shots only of bright skies 90% of the time

2 & 3. Based on my own thoughts, $300-400 seems a pretty reasonable price for a 2nd hand E300/E500 body alone. But also do remember to factor in the prices of lens, whether they are kit or otherwise.

The E510 might be just slightly higher considering its a much later model by about 2 years. So maybe a ballpark figure of $500 for the body alone is reasonable. Don't forget that it's a 10MP model and it also has Live View and IS functions compared to a E300/E500.

I will echo aryanto's recommendation that if you find a reasonable price for an E510/E520, go for it. The newer features make it more worthwhile. You can always fallback on an E300/E500 if there are none avaiable for sale in the Classifieds section (which is highly unlikely).
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123