Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting my first Dslr

Default Re: Getting my first Dslr

Ok, better stop here. Or else poor TS will have his thread closed....

You might want to list out some stuff you will usually shoot with, so we can advice you better...

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Hmm... try a E410 in the rain storm.... without the weather seal... would it still work?
    Just curious, do you specialized in taking photos in the middle of a rain storm?

Curious to see how the photos will turn out with water droplets on the front element of the lens. Don't have a Olympus dslr to try it out.

Hi thirtyone,

Olympus make good cameras, like the other brands. Just get something within your budget. Like some bros have mentioned, all brands are able to produce decent pictures, so it's up to you to decide which to get. I've used a E500 before and I must say that the colours are fantastic & rich. But you have to live with shooting at lower ISO to achieve cleaner pictures (if noise is a concern to you).
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Hmm... try a E410 in the rain storm.... without the weather seal... would it still work?
    Of course i was just joking, obviously nikon is the best . I mean even CSI uses nikons exclusively!

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Well, have you pushed your A700 hard? I've used an A700 in the rain too.
    I can't push my a700 too hard bro, otherwise how to fund my a900?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by simranjits View Post
    Of course i was just joking, obviously nikon is the best . I mean even CSI uses nikons exclusively!
    hahaha does that mean it take nice photo of dead bodies?

OK please dont flame me. I have nothing against any brand except I use olympus.

It is not the sword but the skill of the swordman that matters.
    Of course, a good better sword may help some noobie swordman, but dont rely too much of that.

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    hahaha does that mean it take nice photo of dead bodies?

OK please dont flame me. I have nothing against any brand except I use olympus.

It is not the sword but the skill of the swordman that matters.
    Of course, a good better sword may help some noobie swordman, but dont rely too much of that.
    No it means it stands up to the stringent standards of forensic photography , on TV only of course.

No it means it stands up to the stringent standards of forensic photography , on TV only of course.
    or they have $$$ to pay to CSI producers

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyone View Post
    As stated above.. I've got no clues what to look out for or if the price is overrated for a camera.
    1. I don't want to go Sim Lim and get my throat cut.
    2. I kinda' prefer Olympus.. is it a recommended brand among Nikon and Canon?
    3. I won't mind a second hand set.
    4. My budget is $600
    5. Wanna get a fairly good one

Someone help!! Thanks in advance!!
    Hi

Generally, all brands are suitable for you to purchase, the only limitation being your budget and what subjects you intend to shoot.

I've been an Olympus user of both the C5050 and E300. My E300 is almost 4 years old now, and I have shot close to 50,000 on the shutter count. At this point in time, there are about 3-4 ads in the Olympus Classified section where you can pick up an E300 for less than your budget.

I'm not commenting on any other brands as I have been exclusively using Olympus only.

The E300 is good enough for you to cover most of the type of shooting themes you are likely to explore: family, travel, action, scenic, fireworks, etc. It will also depend on the type of lens you will be using. I'm using the standard 14-45mm kit lens, the 50-200mm and the 70-300mm.

I freelance as a sports photographer for most major events, from AHM to the Osim Tri, and my E300 is put through its paces at each event. That's because I shoot each and every participant during the event itself. An average shoot can produced about 6000-7000 shots within 4 hours. I've been through sun and rain with the camera, so I can honestly say that it has not failed me once.

While it does have it disadvantages at high ISO shots and certain niche shooting conditions, if you are not a pixel counter, it will suffice you for your general needs.

I would suggest for yourself to begin with an economical second hand set first to find your way around. After about a year of weekly shooting with it, you will probably know first hand the pros and cons, and it will help you in deciding the next DSLR path for you to move onto.

I have a Facebook account where I have put up a few photos out of my almost 70,000 shots (exclusing sports as that is not my copyright), and you are welcomed to view them. Please PM me and I will pass you my Facebook contact.

Do feel free to ask any other questions you may have regarding Olympus' DSLR systems. There are quite a few Oly users in CS, and we'll be happy to provide you with the answers.

ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Quote Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
    Just curious, do you specialized in taking photos in the middle of a rain storm?

Curious to see how the photos will turn out with water droplets on the front element of the lens. Don't have a Olympus dslr to try it out.
    Not all camera have weather seal... E3 is one of the few that is "splash proof" but it does not apply to the E420 & E520...

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    Hi

Generally, all brands are suitable for you to purchase, the only limitation being your budget and what subjects you intend to shoot.

I've been an Olympus user of both the C5050 and E300. My E300 is almost 4 years old now, and I have shot close to 50,000 on the shutter count. At this point in time, there are about 3-4 ads in the Olympus Classified section where you can pick up an E300 for less than your budget.

I'm not commenting on any other brands as I have been exclusively using Olympus only.

The E300 is good enough for you to cover most of the type of shooting themes you are likely to explore: family, travel, action, scenic, fireworks, etc. It will also depend on the type of lens you will be using. I'm using the standard 14-45mm kit lens, the 50-200mm and the 70-300mm.

I freelance as a sports photographer for most major events, from AHM to the Osim Tri, and my E300 is put through its paces at each event. That's because I shoot each and every participant during the event itself. An average shoot can produced about 6000-7000 shots within 4 hours. I've been through sun and rain with the camera, so I can honestly say that it has not failed me once.

While it does have it disadvantages at high ISO shots and certain niche shooting conditions, if you are not a pixel counter, it will suffice you for your general needs.

I would suggest for yourself to begin with an economical second hand set first to find your way around. After about a year of weekly shooting with it, you will probably know first hand the pros and cons, and it will help you in deciding the next DSLR path for you to move onto.

I have a Facebook account where I have put up a few photos out of my almost 70,000 shots (exclusing sports as that is not my copyright), and you are welcomed to view them. Please PM me and I will pass you my Facebook contact.

Do feel free to ask any other questions you may have regarding Olympus' DSLR systems. There are quite a few Oly users in CS, and we'll be happy to provide you with the answers.

Hey, thanks for the help! Regarding the ISO shots, it seems like for Olympus DSLRs have the much more noise at higher ISO comparing to other brands, namely Sony, Nikon and Canon?

I'm not a professional photographer but I'm still quite particular about the noise level. Maybe cause I tend to look in detail and really take notice of the problems in a photo. I won't want to buy a camera and come to realise the disadvantages of the camera is actually more than the advantages..

Hey, thanks for the help! Regarding the ISO shots, it seems like for Olympus DSLRs have the much more noise at higher ISO comparing to other brands, namely Sony, Nikon and Canon?

I'm not a professional photographer but I'm still quite particular about the noise level. Maybe cause I tend to look in detail and really take notice of the problems in a photo. I won't want to buy a camera and come to realise the disadvantages of the camera is actually more than the advantages..
    Why not try the E-510/E-520 then? They have relatively good noise control, comparing to other similar bodies from other brands.

Real professionals work in challenging environs and conditions, so far only olympus can work in these conditions well. Try bringing your 350d in the rain and see what happens.
    shucks. i brought my louya low end d40x nikon into the rain a few times. no wonder it was..

still working. last i checked . got about 20k frames i reckon. 15k by me, i think my friend who took over must have done abt another 5k by now. doesn't say much leh

basically, u are a fanboy with brand inferiority complex.

Bringing NON-weatherproof cameras into rain is just asking for trouble. Who cares if it's a 450D, D40, or a E520. All will be gone in heavy rain. I'm not talking about drizzle.

Want to shoot in rain? Get weatherproof bodies AND lenses.

I wonder why those people bringing non-weatherproof bodies into rain are so happy.

u gotta know which brands have what strengths. olympus has the smallest DSLR sensor, obviously has the worst noise. just compare nikon n canon's crop frame dslr vs their full frame dslr...

but because of the smaller sensor, u get longer zoom, great for sports, wildlife. u also get smaller camera bodies, smaller and lighter lenses. i'd say that's good unless u have huge hands or wanna use ur camera to whack people.

if low noise and low light photography is ur top priority, u might wanna steer clear of olympus, because the other brands will offer u better camera in this area.

anyway, while u claim to be quite particular, maybe shd go try out the various models u are considering. u might find the noise levels acceptable to u after all. one man's meat, u know the saying lah.

i use nikon and only nikon. what so good about nikon to me? i learnt how to use DSLR on a nikon and the cameras are good enuff for me at the moment. so i didn't go and get backside itchy and be wowed by other brands with certain features which are superior to nikon . i don't like change unless the reasons are compelling.

just mho. hope no one takes offense. if anyone wants to, be my guest, i'm not gonna argue

Quote Originally Posted by boyboy View Post
    shucks. i brought my louya low end d40x nikon into the rain a few times. no wonder it was..

still working. last i checked . got about 20k frames i reckon. 15k by me, i think my friend who took over must have done abt another 5k by now. doesn't say much leh

basically, u are a fanboy with brand inferiority complex.
    That isn't the correct sop , you should have ran for cover bro. Anyways i'm not a fanboy , i don't even use olympus. But i know it's strengths! Anyways did you tell your friend you have a little fun in the rain hehe with his d40x.

well, i was covering some event, so no choice, haizz... of course, if it were a downpour, i'd run for shelter for sure. it was light rain, more than a drizzle

can't remember what i told him. but that was months before i handed my camera to him and there were no issues. my d40x went thru a whole lot more crap than my d300, but is still fine.

i think u can try that with ur sony or canon or pentax or whatever. don't worry, it should still work! anyway, AFAIK, the brands i mentioned have weather seals for the higher end models. so unless u meant ur "olympus tougher than everyone else" as a joke, it really sounds silly. if it was indeed a joke, then my apologies.

i know that nat geo has photos taken by nikons, olys, canons, not sure about the other brands but i dun see why not? u know anyone who shoots in tougher conditions than the nat geo folks? i don't =P

I think all our talk about weather-seal or splash-proof is useless for the TS.. I think with the budget.. it would be very hard to get a dslr with weather-seal.....

I think all our talk about weather-seal or splash-proof is useless for the TS.. I think with the budget.. it would be very hard to get a dslr with weather-seal.....
    Not true. Pentax have bodies weather-sealed. K100D, K200D...

But without weather sealed lenses, it's pointless.

The noise levels for Olympus can be attributed to the use of the 4/3 sensor system. Because of its small size, noise at high ISO is inevitable. Compared to other brands, it is more noisier, but then you will have to look at the situation you are going to shoot in.

If you are going to spend 60-70% of your shooting time on night shoots or events under lowlight, then perhaps Olympus would not really be suitable for you, since you mentioned that you tend to look at the shots in detail.

Every camera brand and system have pros and cons..it depends on whether do you enter that field of shooting where the cons are very apparent. Because I have no interest in low-light photography, I'm not really bothered about noise levels, therefore the con doesn't become a handicap for me.

One of the 4/3's advantage is the x2 factor for lenses. So using a 70-300mm lens is equivalent to a 140-600mm on the 35mm system. That being said it's still not a 1-to-1 comparison, but its good enough for me.

I do not know how often do you shoot (daily, weekly, monthly? Average number of shots?), and what areas of shooting you are entering, but I do know that the E300 can serve as a first general DSLR on a budget.
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast