View Poll Results: how much will you pay for a carbon tripod.

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • 200 region ( i know...its impossible! but what the heck!!)

25 25.00%
  • 300-400(used brandless maybe?? )

23 23.00%
  • 500-600

22 22.00%
  • 600-700

9 9.00%
  • 700-800

5 5.00%
  • 800-900

4 4.00%
  • 1000 and up

12 12.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carbon tripods prices! -_-'

Default Re: carbon tripods prices! -_-'

Quote Originally Posted by ianwurn View Post
    Haha.... funny way of putting it.... but is CF tougher in specifications : Yes. Tougher in real life, not necessarily. It depends a lot on the situation.

Whilst CF has good strength, in general, it is more brittle than aluminium on impact tests. For example, if the impact on the ground was against a point (Like a knife edge), then the shattering might occur. MIGHT being the keyword. Again, this is a very specific instance and unlikely to happen for most of us. For aluminium, shattering is highly unlikely, but it bends and break at a lesser load compared to CF, given the same dimensions of the comparison CF vs alu rods.

IMHO, alu and CF tripods dont break just like that. It's prob more in my mind that I want to drop my tripods (Just like tat) on the ground, than to have a CF tripod and worry a wee bit more about it. For me, the final straw lay in the costs of the CF tripod vs an equivalent alu tripod..... but that's just me. If I had more money to burn, yeah, I'd go CF.

ur right, as a whole... cf is stronger but once the exterior is comprimised its more brittle.. if its meant to be bended like rims... thn it of coz can last if its not going straight... lol

please peps no tripod is for whacking around, dun worry too much about impact. in serious cases any tripod is a goner.

From the way the replies are on this thread, one would think that the CF tripod is being used as a weapon rather than a camera support.

C'mon guys, a CF tripod is not going to break into pieces under normal usage. The worst situation is the tripod dropping on the floor.

Even a tripod at full force into someone's face is not going to dent it...I can't say the same for the face though
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Other than the 18.33% that voted, the others who voted should be sellers of tripods especially those who voted the highest price range, which consumer in the right frame of mind would want to pay the most expensive price for any products... (unless ah sia kia, cho pai harm cheng).

The other reason is that everywhere got worldwide recession except Singapore, where consumers are still willing to pay big bucks for Lenses, Camera bodies and Tripods at sky high prices (or issit the ah sia kias again...)

(hey hey just adding a touch of humour here, those rich kids pls dun hum tam me....)

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    From the way the replies are on this thread, one would think that the CF tripod is being used as a weapon rather than a camera support.

C'mon guys, a CF tripod is not going to break into pieces under normal usage. The worst situation is the tripod dropping on the floor.

Even a tripod at full force into someone's face is not going to dent it...I can't say the same for the face though
    hahaha tts a good one buddy !

Quote Originally Posted by old-newbird View Post
    ohh dang...k the locking system is those twist type or push-pull type bro ?
    Sorry for the late reply. The locking system is the same as Gitzo, twist
    type. I may happen to be the unfortunate one, having the tripod with manufacturing defect. So honestly, I would not condemn it based on my personal experience. It's best to test it out personally before making the purchase. With so many good feedbacks on certain brands, it will be less likely to get "bad" tripod. Hope you find something suitable for yourself.

Pls lah...
    you all think CF tripod break very easy meh...
    Carbon fibre is made from composite.The very same material in the production of kevlar vest.
    The brittle fracture of the fibre and polymer matrix reinforce will be prevented unless there is tremendous amount of force applied...
    Yes,they are brittle but in material science,the higher the brittlenes,the harder it is.
    Check the young modulus.
    dropping a CF onto the ground shouldn't be an issue unless the height is being exagerrated.

You wack someone with a CF tripod..see which one break loh...
    Furthermore,if the legs of the tripod are constructed with few layers of reinforce carbon fibre and polymer matrix,it can kill...
    Last edited by Giorgio; 6th January 2009 at 09:53 PM.

I tried the GT3541L......That is a dream tripod (just owned it). CF is used to make sport cars and etc why is it not strong? Many bicycles use CF, I own one for years until today it is still as solid! Camera certainly weights a lot less then me.

Threat the purchase of a good cf tripod as a long term investment. Match it with a good ballhead and u are set to go a lonngggg way. Got my gitzo and arca swiss........no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by kongg View Post
    Threat the purchase of a good cf tripod as a long term investment. Match it with a good ballhead and u are set to go a lonngggg way. Got my gitzo and arca swiss........no regrets.
    Same here......that is a good combi. Why risk your $XXXX or $XXXXX equipment with some cheapo tripod?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12