Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Markins Q3

Default Re: Markins Q3

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    blow torch is risky....
    What about those industrial hot air blower???
    I think will also help since the heat temperature will hit around 40c to 450c....

May be I should give it a try.....
    It's worth a try. u can use a damp/refrigerated cloth to wrap over your ball (think straight) when you are heating the screw from above. This would protect the plastic coating of the ball against the heat. Do it progressively, letting it cool down after every 30-45 secs of heating while trying to knock the clamp loose gently.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Thanks....!!!

Now I'm very happy using it...
    But only I can have a QR plate.... that will be much better.

Oh.. you are using GT1541 tirpod.... any feedback?

I been testing out at the shop on GT1451T and GT1541..
    But I felt GT1541 the legs will move a little when I apply down pressure at the center column.
    as for the GT1541 there are no movement on the legs and is stand steady and very solid. and is much shorter and compact with BH compare to my current 190CXPRO3.
    The height is just right for me too (1.75cm tall)

For GT1541T I need to extend the center column then the height is just with the BH.
    is very small, compact and light.... but the legs is a little wooby......that's hold me back now...

been thinking very hard.... which one I should get now... with 'T' or w/o 'T'.....
    I also tried the GT1541 vs GT1541T but i find the stability almost the same. Of cos, you push it down hard, the legs will sure flex abit when fully extended. It will also apply even to the series 2 but to a lesser extend. Anyway, height is not really a big problem. When you use a tripod, it is not usual that you would want shoot at eye-level. somewhere above waist would be good for normal shots. In fact, for landscape shots, shooting at waist levels usually gives flattering results compared to eye-level. Just get your Gitzo, which ever model lah, don't procrastinate liao...
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    It's worth a try. u can use a damp/refrigerated cloth to wrap over your ball (think straight) when you are heating the screw from above. This would protect the plastic coating of the ball against the heat. Do it progressively, letting it cool down after every 30-45 secs of heating while trying to knock the clamp loose gently.
    I think I'll shall give it a try...

Now have to plan ahead how to process and steps.....

Thanks for the advice....

I also tried the GT1541 vs GT1541T but i find the stability almost the same. Of cos, you push it down hard, the legs will sure flex abit when fully extended. It will also apply even to the series 2 but to a lesser extend. Anyway, height is not really a big problem. When you use a tripod, it is not usual that you would want shoot at eye-level. somewhere above waist would be good for normal shots. In fact, for landscape shots, shooting at waist levels usually gives flattering results compared to eye-level. Just get your Gitzo, which ever model lah, don't procrastinate liao...
    OIC... at waist level... I wasn't aware of that...
    Will try it next time.... when I have time to go for hiking...

I was wonder between this 2 models is also cos of the price..
    in the B&H website both are selling the same price....
    That why I can't decide which one to choice...

GT1541 selling price

Thanks....!!!

Now I'm very happy using it...
    But only I can have a QR plate.... that will be much better.

Oh.. you are using GT1541 tirpod.... any feedback?

I been testing out at the shop on GT1451T and GT1541..
    But I felt GT1541 the legs will move a little when I apply down pressure at the center column.
    as for the GT1541 there are no movement on the legs and is stand steady and very solid. and is much shorter and compact with BH compare to my current 190CXPRO3.
    The height is just right for me too (1.75cm tall)

For GT1541T I need to extend the center column then the height is just with the BH.
    is very small, compact and light.... but the legs is a little wooby......that's hold me back now...

been thinking very hard.... which one I should get now... with 'T' or w/o 'T'.....
    I will say get GT1541T only if you really need the compactness. The height without extending the center column is just horribly short.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    I will say get GT1541T only if you really need the compactness. The height without extending the center column is just horribly short.
    Yes, I understand that too...
    compact, light is what I been looking for....
    but is the short & leg will extend a little while apply down pressure on the center column...
    that's hold me back..........

Yes, I understand that too...
    compact, light is what I been looking for....
    but is the short & leg will extend a little while apply down pressure on the center column...
    that's hold me back..........
    The T version is slightly more exp, just like for the markins, though the difference is marginal and shouldn't be a cause for concern. There's over a 20 cm length savings, that's one-third (60cm vs 40cm)!!! And it makes all the diff whether you can hand-carry or have to check in your tripod when you go through the airport.

Personally, the way I use my 1541T is only open up the top three sections first. if needs be, extend the centre column (it is more usable than you may think). Only when absolutely needed, i extend the 4th section and it is quite rare that the situation calls for it. But I have that flexibility and the compactness. Don't underestimate compactness and think you can compromise it for stability. I used to think that stability is much much more impt than compactness but I was wrong. You got to use it in the field to apprecate that. If you are really that concern with stability, get at least a series 2 or series 3. btw, it makes a very cool monopod too, with two legs retracted. And you can quickly transform it into a tripod when there's a need for it.

The T version is slightly more exp, just like for the markins, though the difference is marginal and shouldn't be a cause for concern. There's over a 20 cm length savings, that's one-third (60cm vs 40cm)!!! And it makes all the diff whether you can hand-carry or have to check in your tripod when you go through the airport.

Personally, the way I use my 1541T is only open up the top three sections first. if needs be, extend the centre column (it is more usable than you may think). Only when absolutely needed, i extend the 4th section and it is quite rare that the situation calls for it. But I have that flexibility and the compactness. Don't underestimate compactness and think you can compromise it for stability. I used to think that stability is much much more impt than compactness but I was wrong. You got to use it in the field to apprecate that. If you are really that concern with stability, get at least a series 2 or series 3. btw, it makes a very cool monopod too, with two legs retracted. And you can quickly transform it into a tripod when there's a need for it.
    But in the B&H website both are selling the same.

I totally understand and really thank for your feedback.

but stability is also quite important too. if you are taking long expose night shot.
    so far have you face any problem on that?
    care to share this any night shot using your GT 1541T tripod.

I felt may be if you mount the camera with lens the weight of the camera & lens will help and make the tripod more stable.

But in the B&H website both are selling the same.

I totally understand and really thank for your feedback.

but stability is also quite important too. if you are taking long expose night shot.
    so far have you face any problem on that?
    care to share this any night shot using your GT 1541T tripod.

I felt may be if you mount the camera with lens the weight of the camera & lens will help and make the tripod more stable.
    So far, i feel it is pretty much stable. I have not used it for long exposure shots. But if that's what you really intend to do, even a 1541 may not suffice. Go for a series 3. Yes, adding some additional weight will improve the stability.

I have owned GT1541T and Q3T for 6 months. This combo rocks with my D300 and 18-200 for long exposure, had tried up to 30 minutes. Usually I extend center column half way, but I tried with center column fully extended and hang my bag below for stability, with good results. Compactness and lightweight is as important as stability, especially for travelling and trekking.
    If i can remember correctly, the T version has a higher load of 8kg because of the new G-lock.

You can see my photostream for long exposure, including a 7.5 minutes star trails at www.flickr.com/photos/freelah4me
    Last edited by freelah4me; 25th January 2009 at 12:25 AM.

yet another thread .....

anyway, i would say both the 1541 and 1541T serves its own purposes and to each of its own.
    that's if you prefer working height (1541) or compactness (1541T).
    no arguments because it's Gitzo and you won't go wrong.

2 cents worth

p/s : scorpioh bro i am back! and your equipment list seems to be getting longer? haha! happy lunar new year!!
    Last edited by IamJeFfy; 25th January 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJeFfy View Post
    yet another thread .....

anyway, i would say both the 1541 and 1541T serves its own purposes and to each of its own.

2 cents worth

p/s : scorpioh bro i am back! and your equipment list seems to be getting longer? haha! happy lunar new year!!
    OT: Ha, good to see you back! Hope you had enjoyed ur holidays and wish you a happy advance CNY! How's your field experience with your Gitzo. Yeah, I think my list's getting abit long that it's kinda show-offy...

Gitzo 1541T + Markins Q3T = very good combination

yet another thread .....

2 cents worth

Both have their pro's & con's.
    no matter what owning GITZO tripod won't go wrong. That we all know very clear...
    But owning which model also a problem for some people....
    some want stable, some want compact, some want to able to support his/her Super tele lens.....there are some many model to choice.....

If you choice the wrong model... than is will be wrong for you not the tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
    Gitzo 1541T + Markins Q3T = very good combination
    Yes, Fully agreed...!!!!
    Markins with Q3T is still the best combination.

Both have their pro's & con's.
    no matter what owning GITZO tripod won't go wrong. That we all know very clear...
    But owning which model also a problem for some people....
    some want stable, some want compact, some want to able to support his/her Super tele lens.....there are some many model to choice.....

If you choice the wrong model... than is will be wrong for you not the tripod.
    which is why i said - to each of its own ?
    there is no one tripod for all.

anyway, seems like a lot of 1541T supporters here.. better make my exit.

Hmmm I recently purchased the Q3T together with the 1531T, I chose the 1531T over the 1541T mainly because of the height difference, also i prefer a 3 section, felt it was more stable and faster setup. Although the 1541T compactness is very appealing as well. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by axelris; 26th January 2009 at 12:52 PM.

Hi guys,

Need some experts' opinion: If I were to get a markins q3, can I fix a sigma 150-500 direct onto the clamp? Or do I need to purchase another plate to fix onto my lens first? And can a Sidekick be safely fixed onto a Q3? Or do I need the larger m10/20?

Quote Originally Posted by axelris View Post
    Hmmm I recently purchased the Q3T together with the 1531T, I chose the 1531T over the 1541T mainly because of the height difference, also i prefer a 3 section, felt it was more stable and faster setup. Although the 1541T compactness is very appealing as well. Just my 2 cents
    is there such a model as 1531T?

Quote Originally Posted by gunawan View Post
    Hi guys,

Need some experts' opinion: If I were to get a markins q3, can I fix a sigma 150-500 direct onto the clamp? Or do I need to purchase another plate to fix onto my lens first? And can a Sidekick be safely fixed onto a Q3? Or do I need the larger m10/20?
    no. Q3 is just a ballhead with the clamp. you need to get arca-swiss style plates for your camera/lenses in order to mount.

i think a M20 would be great on a sidekick, at least a M10 but not a Q3.

no. Q3 is just a ballhead with the clamp. you need to get arca-swiss style plates for your camera/lenses in order to mount.

i think a M20 would be great on a sidekick, at least a M10 but not a Q3.
    hey Jeffy, many thanks for your reply. I just checked out the prices of the whole system: gonna cost me a month's pay. looks like gotta handhold the thing until strike toto...

or maybe get a cheap monopod wif cheap tilthead at mth end...

my mistake GT1531

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast