Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Markins Q3

Default Re: Markins Q3

Congrats on your wise choice, u got one of the best ballheads in the market for that price range. No doubt the 488RC2 looks bigger, but pictures can be deceiving...weightload and locking stability wise, the Markins will whup its ass soundly and then some.

I think can use ur 488RC2 as paperweight now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    OOOpppppppppssss.........Forgot to abt the plate...

As you can see the plate is no big deal at all....
    but I actually scratched the coating and wear after fixing and remove from my camera.
    kinda disappointed with the plate...

After getting this BH.... my hand start to itchy to get a GT1541 tripod....
    Just cant decide with the T or w/o the T
    Rubber Duck,

I know the feeling..... I was using a cheapo Fancier tripod with 486RC2. Gave up after a few months.

Ended up with the Gitzo 1541 (not Traveller version) with the Markins Q3 head. No regrets...

You will enjoy this BH, when it is locked, IT IS LOCKED. Usually used when I mount my 70-200 f/4 L for tele shots.

If you have the spare cash, splurge on the Gitzo provided you can get a "good price" letting go the Manfrotto. Next year is tough year gotto to be prudent with $.

Haiyah!! I am also holding back on lenses. Cannot always BBB.
    Canon 40D|EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS|70-200mm L f/4 IS|50&85mm f/1.8|EFS 10-22 f/3.5-4.5|580 EXII

Quote Originally Posted by CS TAN View Post
    You should consider to put the RRS' B2 AS II clamp together with your Q3 and you won't have to screw/unscrew the plate. You can just flick the clamp with one flick and it is lock tight.

You might also consider RRS' L-plate but they are expensive IMO.
    I am also thinking of replacing the default clamp with RRS's B2 ASII clamp since I am using RRS's L-bracket but I am not sure on how to replace it. I asked Markins support about the removal and gotten the following reply:

1. Remove the head from tripod and hand-hold it.
    2. Tighten the tension to maximum.
    3. Using a plastic hammer (to prevent cosmetic damage to the clamp) hit the clamp knob such a way that the clamp turns counter-clockwise against the head.
    4. Continue it until the clamp is separated.

Now that's something I will not really like to try...
    Last edited by Randius; 28th December 2008 at 08:52 PM.
    RICOH GRD I / II / III / IV / GR / GXR

Quote Originally Posted by raghnall View Post
    RRS L-plate.. Im contemplating to get it.. Heh..
    Yes, I also thinking of getting that L-Plate...
    What is the model for the L-plate???
    I hope that this L-Plate still able to use after I upgrade my body....

You should consider to put the RRS' B2 AS II clamp together with your Q3 and you won't have to screw/unscrew the plate. You can just flick the clamp with one flick and it is lock tight.

Yes, now I notice that...
    Been thinking how to remove the Q3 screw quick shoe and switch to RSS Clamp...
    any advice to remove it??? Tried a few time, is screwed very tight...

Is still quite OK for me after convert the exchange rate.

Yes, I also thinking of getting that L-Plate...
    What is the model for the L-plate???
    I hope that this L-Plate still able to use after I upgrade my body....
    Unfortunately each L-plate is specifically made for each model and is unlikely to be used on your future body, unless it is using the exact same chassis.

The Kirk model for your 450D (without battery grip) will be the BL-XSI and the RRS equivalent will be the B450D-L. Only Kirk has the model BL-XSiG for 450D with grip.
    Last edited by Randius; 28th December 2008 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randius View Post
    I am also thinking of replacing the default clamp with RRS's B2 ASII clamp since I am using RRS's L-bracket but I am not sure on how to replace it. I asked Markins support about the removal and gotten the following reply:

3. Using a plastic hammer (to prevent cosmetic damage to the clamp) hit the clamp knob such a way that the clamp turns counter-clockwise against the head.

I think Markins does have an option to not having their quick release clamp mounted so you can put other clamps on and avoid the steps you have mentioned above... I believe Markins put Loctite on the bolt so as to lock it down and that is why it is very hard to remove it after that...

Like that... I need to think many time....
    to do that.......
    In their manual they stated do that apply stress or force on the ball....

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Congrats on your wise choice, u got one of the best ballheads in the market for that price range. No doubt the 488RC2 looks bigger, but pictures can be deceiving...weightload and locking stability wise, the Markins will whup its ass soundly and then some.

I think can use ur 488RC2 as paperweight now?
    Thanks....
    paperweight... a bit waste $$$...
    Think to sell it away......anyone?

Unfortunately each L-plate is specifically made for each model and is unlikely to be used on your future body, unless it is using the exact same chassis.

The Kirk model for your 450D (without battery grip) will be the BL-XSI and the RRS equivalent will be the B450D-L. Only Kirk has the model BL-XSiG for 450D with grip.
    OIC..... Like that...
    I think is better to search more...
    Thanks for the information...

I think Markins does have an option to not having their quick release clamp mounted so you can put other clamps on and avoid the steps you have mentioned above... I believe Markins put Loctite on the bolt so as to lock it down and that is why it is very hard to remove it after that...
    Yes, I saw at other forums website..
    there is one buyer, actually requested not the assembly the Quick shoe into the BH.

But there is ppl still able to remove it and replace it.
    but for me... I need to think it over to do that....
    overall is still not a cheap BH.......if anything happen....I'll be CARZY liao...

Yes, that will be the NQS (No Quick Shoe) option but I wasn't aware of that when I bought the ball head and getting the RRS clamp is gonna cost me another 120USD...

May reconsider changing the clamp when I have the spare cash and time

Changing a markins screw clamp to a lever clamp is a such an expensive option you might as well get a RSS ball-head in the first place, though it's not as smooth as a Markins. Anyway, it's best you had purchased with a NQS option since removing the clamp is not easy due to the application of Loctite. ALso note that the RRS lever-clamps are only guaranteed compatible with RRS and Wimberly plates - Kirk and Markins may not fit the bill. Lever-clamps do require tighter tolerances for their plates compared to screw clamps.

TS, it would be better for you to get the GT1541 non T since there is actually a new Q3T that was meant for the GT1541T that allows tighter packing when the legs are reversed. The panning-base of your Q3 gets in the way for the GT1541T. Alternatively, go for the GT2531/41.

Ideally, one should be getting a GT1541T/Q3T (for travel and light-weight stuff) and GT3531S/M20 (as much as possible, use this) option, avoiding the GT25XX series totally in a duo-tripod system. Gitzo 2 series are so close in weight, height and price compared to the series 3 which offers twice the damping ability, they should be avoided unless one is seeking for some kind of compromise. Gitzo 3 series should be considered a general and everyday tripod for the serious photographer. Gitzo 4 and 5 series are application specific options for serious-amateurs/professionals for sports, studio, birding, etc.
    Last edited by scorpioh; 29th December 2008 at 01:33 AM.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Yes, that will be the NQS (No Quick Shoe) option but I wasn't aware of that when I bought the ball head and getting the RRS clamp is gonna cost me another 120USD...

May reconsider changing the clamp when I have the spare cash and time

Found this website while doing a search in the net....

How to remove a Markins Quick Shoe Clamp.
    I dont abt what will happen if you use too much heat on the BH......
    Kinda of worries..... the BH may damages after heating.....
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...moval&bool=and

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Changing a markins screw clamp to a lever clamp is a such an expensive option you might as well get a RSS ball-head in the first place, though it's not as smooth as a Markins. Anyway, it's best you had purchased with a NQS option since removing the clamp is not easy due to the application of Loctite. ALso note that the RRS lever-clamps are only guaranteed compatible with RRS and Wimberly plates - Kirk and Markins may not fit the bill. Lever-clamps do require tighter tolerances for their plates compared to screw clamps.

TS, it would be better for you to get the GT1541 non T since there is actually a new Q3T that was meant for the GT1541T that allows tighter packing when the legs are reversed. The panning-base of your Q3 gets in the way for the GT1541T. Alternatively, go for the GT2531/41.

Ideally, one should be getting a GT1541T/Q3T (for travel and light-weight stuff) and GT3531S/M20 (as much as possible, use this) option, avoiding the GT25XX series totally in a duo-tripod system. Gitzo 2 series are so close in weight, height and price compared to the series 3 which offers twice the damping ability, they should be avoided unless one is seeking for some kind of compromise. Gitzo 3 series should be considered a general and everyday tripod for the serious photographer. Gitzo 4 and 5 series are application specific options for serious-amateurs/professionals for sports, studio, birding, etc.
    Thanks for the information and advice.....!!!!
    Will check out the GT2531/41 tripod....

But I really wanted a light and easy carry tripod since I like to move around and go for hiking.

After getting Markins Q3...
    in the first should get a Q3T.... since I may wanted a GT1541T....

Anyway now I get to start saving again for my next tripod....
    Last edited by Rubber_Duck; 29th December 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Found this website while doing a search in the net....

How to remove a Markins Quick Shoe Clamp.
    I dont abt what will happen if you use too much heat on the BH......
    Kinda of worries..... the BH may damages after heating.....
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...moval&bool=and
    Trust me, you wouldn't want to do it yourself. Better option is to sell away your Q3 and re-purchase the Q3T (NQS). Seriously, there is quite a lot of think-ahead and research to be done before investing in Gitzos and Markins... Ha.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Thanks for the information and advice.....!!!!
    Will check out the GT2531/41 tripod....

But I really wanted a light and easy carry tripod since I like to move around and go for hiking.

After getting Markins Q3...
    in the first should get a Q3T.... since I may wanted a GT1541T....

Anyway now I get to start saving again for my next tripod....
    As a recent check with TK, Q3 and Q3T retails at the same price of $450 (which is a good news since Q3T is supposedly USD20 more exp @ USD290). iirc, the GT1541T is $800, GT2531 is $870 and GT3531S is $940. As you can see, the price diff is really marginal. I think TK's prices are very reasonable and they do have a good range of the newest models.

You go try the 3531S and you'll probably think - "I never knew tripods can be so strong, stable yet light!". It can practically support any everyday lenses you'll ever have, i.e. 300mm. the 1541T is good for up to 135mm lenses.

REMEMBER: Support and holding your setup are two different issues altogether.
    Last edited by scorpioh; 29th December 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Been trying very hard to remove the Markins Q3 plate... Is very tighten very tight..!!!.....
    Last edited by Rubber_Duck; 21st January 2009 at 10:43 AM.

You need a blow torch for that cos it's lock-tited. You use brute force sure damage.

You need a blow torch for that cos it's lock-tited. You use brute force sure damage.
    blow torch is risky....
    What about those industrial hot air blower???
    I think will also help since the heat temperature will hit around 40c to 450c....

May be I should give it a try.....

When I last emailed Markins regarding the removal of the clamp, they recommended brute force instead of blow torch. However, I am a little hesitant to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by santaclaus2100 View Post
    Rubber Duck,

I know the feeling..... I was using a cheapo Fancier tripod with 486RC2. Gave up after a few months.

Ended up with the Gitzo 1541 (not Traveller version) with the Markins Q3 head. No regrets...

You will enjoy this BH, when it is locked, IT IS LOCKED. Usually used when I mount my 70-200 f/4 L for tele shots.

If you have the spare cash, splurge on the Gitzo provided you can get a "good price" letting go the Manfrotto. Next year is tough year gotto to be prudent with $.

Haiyah!! I am also holding back on lenses. Cannot always BBB.
    Thanks....!!!

Now I'm very happy using it...
    But only I can have a QR plate.... that will be much better.

Oh.. you are using GT1541 tirpod.... any feedback?

I been testing out at the shop on GT1451T and GT1541..
    But I felt GT1541 the legs will move a little when I apply down pressure at the center column.
    as for the GT1541 there are no movement on the legs and is stand steady and very solid. and is much shorter and compact with BH compare to my current 190CXPRO3.
    The height is just right for me too (1.75cm tall)

For GT1541T I need to extend the center column then the height is just with the BH.
    is very small, compact and light.... but the legs is a little wooby......that's hold me back now...

been thinking very hard.... which one I should get now... with 'T' or w/o 'T'.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast