Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why my DLSR camera image taken is not as good compare to a digital Camera

Default Re: Why my DLSR camera image taken is not as good compare to a digital Camera

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    No wonder... I dare say the FZ50 output beats the 18-200. The lens on FZ50 should win it hands down, even though the sensor on 450D is better, theres nothing to resolve. Even some expensive lens, I once used a 20mm Sigma F1.8, I didn't dare crop beyond 33%. Consider a better lens and maybe you'll stop bringing the FZ50 out. =)

Hm I think its best to gain a vantage point at events, maybe go to the 2nd floor with a 70-200 F2.8 or something. Are you a professional/freelance event shooter or some sort? You sound like one.
    For purchasing of other lens, maybe one step at a time... currently I still prefer a single all-rounded lens solution for my event shots(more agility & flexible when shooting).

Shooting at 2nd floor often resulted in little or no eye contact, and most of the time you maybe shooting the forehead (or even the hair). There are too many Pros in CS already... compared to them my experience (shooting since 2003) is negligible....

Default Re: Why my DLSR camera image taken is not as good compare to a digital Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    For purchasing of other lens, maybe one step at a time... currently I still prefer a single all-rounded lens solution for my event shots(more agility & flexible when shooting).

Shooting at 2nd floor often resulted in little or no eye contact, and most of the time you maybe shooting the forehead (or even the hair). There are too many Pros in CS already... compared to them my experience (shooting since 2003) is negligible....
    Ah, sorry bad recommendation, yea.

I was more like thinking if your subjects on stage, and you back to the 2nd floor it was fine, but what was I thinking, events don't really work like that. haha.

All-rounded lens may be useful, but worth the price meh? =X I'd buy an FZ50 over the 18-200.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Ah, sorry bad recommendation, yea.

I was more like thinking if your subjects on stage, and you back to the 2nd floor it was fine, but what was I thinking, events don't really work like that. haha.

All-rounded lens may be useful, but worth the price meh? =X I'd buy an FZ50 over the 18-200.
    I got a good deal for the lens when I purchase my dslr... so nothing much to regret (yet)...

Like I mention earlier, high ISO in low light is not a forte of the FZ50, so now I used my dslr mainly for indoor event shoot whereby higher ISO & a more powerful flash (than my FL36) is needed...

I have just "learn" a new trick today.. First I use the LV to adjust my WB, Metering, etc first... before I switch back to OVF to take the picture... So far so good...

I got a good deal for the lens when I purchase my dslr... so nothing much to regret (yet)...

Like I mention earlier, high ISO in low light is not a forte of the FZ50, so now I used my dslr mainly for indoor event shoot whereby higher ISO & a more powerful flash (than my FL36) is needed...

I have just "learn" a new trick today.. First I use the LV to adjust my WB, Metering, etc first... before I switch back to OVF to take the picture... So far so good...
    Haha, i was thinking, why don't you fire off one shot first? And just OVF all the way?

Anyway if that were the case, still doesn't justify 18-200 does it? Maybe a F2.8 standard zoom lens will be better, and if you need the long shots, no choice just use the FZ with a lil longer shutter. most probably wont have good shots eitherway.

Haha, i was thinking, why don't you fire off one shot first? And just OVF all the way?

Anyway if that were the case, still doesn't justify 18-200 does it? Maybe a F2.8 standard zoom lens will be better, and if you need the long shots, no choice just use the FZ with a lil longer shutter. most probably wont have good shots eitherway.
    Coz for me I need to fire more than 1 shot to fine-tune the WB, Exposure & Aperture/Shutter Speed.... So for me it is still better to calibrate with the LV ( About 90% correct) than to use the "try & error" method...

Like I method earlier, changing lens during an event shooting is not advisable, that why some photographer have 2 body with lens of difference focal length to cover an event. For me I think that the added weight would cause fatigue (esp for Wedding event). Personally for event shooting, I feel that to be able to get the important shot(which you do not get a second chance) is better than no shot at all...

Coz for me I need to fire more than 1 shot to fine-tune the WB, Exposure & Aperture/Shutter Speed.... So for me it is still better to calibrate with the LV ( About 90% correct) than to use the "try & error" method...

Like I method earlier, changing lens during an event shooting is not advisable, that why some photographer have 2 body with lens of difference focal length to cover an event. For me I think that the added weight would cause fatigue (esp for Wedding event). Personally for event shooting, I feel that to be able to get the important shot(which you do not get a second chance) is better than no shot at all...
    Actually I don't see why its so hard, depends on the area you need to work with, I think like a 17-50 or 24-70 F2.8 should be able to get you what you need... maybe I have no experience with events, but ,my imagination shouldn't be too far off? Any further I'm sure we can afford a 50% crop. So essentially its a 24-140mm lens?

Actually I don't see why its so hard, depends on the area you need to work with, I think like a 17-50 or 24-70 F2.8 should be able to get you what you need... maybe I have no experience with events, but ,my imagination shouldn't be too far off? Any further I'm sure we can afford a 50% crop. So essentially its a 24-140mm lens?
    If you carry 2 body together, yes it would work... but it's much harder(tired over a period of time). Remember you are not only carry the extra body & lens but also the flash unit, diffuser dome, battery grip, etc.....

As for cropping... like I mention earlier, I seldom need to crop my photos...

Quote Originally Posted by prolensdreamer View Post
    agree with you. Perhaps he has solved his problem-He can take good pictures now..Congratulation , sweeshiwei,if you really solve your problem and please do not be scared by the way we response to your thread. We are a group of people who really want to help each other in our unique way.

keep shooting, brother.
    Hi Guys,

Here are some pictures link.
    Sorry for slow update.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33801497@N04/3149258154/
    ( the not so good taken) without handheld

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33801497@N04/3149270808/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33801497@N04/
    ( This is the overall taken )
    Kindly need your comments.

Some pics is ok but some with less light will have the blurr image despite myfirm grip on camera when taken. Don know why
    TQ, Francis Swee Shiwei

Be careful when shooting wedding event from staircase.

Not that you might fall down etc but know that singapore has aging population, so you end up have a lot of bald spots from the older relatives and have to do a lot of touch up.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeshiwei View Post
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for slow update.

Some pics is ok but some with less light will have the blurr image despite myfirm grip on camera when taken. Don know why
    there is a thing called tripod and shutter release cable

Hi Guys,

Sorry for slow update.

Even when you have increase your ISO to max (1600), you are still using a relative low shutter speed... 1/x during a night shoot. I strong suggest you use a tripod instead....

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Be careful when shooting wedding event from staircase.

Not that you might fall down etc but know that singapore has aging population, so you end up have a lot of bald spots from the older relatives and have to do a lot of touch up.
    Have not taken a "bald spot" picture during my Wedding day shooting... As for staircase shots, normally occurs to the groom & "bros" (all young men ) when they are coming to the bride house...to be "sabo" by the "sisters" :

It's on those time that I feel that being a photographer is much better than being one of the "Bros"....

Yes you held the cam tightly, but the camera is not shaking, it is your hands that are shaking

Use a real steady tripod, with additional shutter release cable. Otherwise use tripod+self timer.

Actually most photos from dslrs need sharpening. A photo direct from pns cam may seem sharper, because the processor in the pns cam has already done aggressive sharpening. Dslrs don't do that.

And pns cams have real tiny sensors, packed with lots of pixels. Hence pixel density is extremely high, giving you more resolution than dslrs(of equivalent pixel count). However, you'll get real lot of noise on pns cams.
    The best things in life are free.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for slow update.

Is there something wrong with your lens? Are you using the Kit lens?! How do you shoot F4.5 at 55mm? The EXIF looks a little messed up.

Unless you're using the 17-85mm instead... that lens isn't as high quality by the way.

let me add some word on the issue

to get a great picture, when you hold a DC, most of time, you try by luck -- DC catches the moment you can't and no need to control-- if you want to understand more, try to understand how DC works

when you hold a DSLR, most of time, you need depend on your skill , of course you can use Auto/P/ or scene mode, then you actually do not need a DSLR.

in most of case, if you do not want to sharpen your skill, DC will give you higher chance to get a good looking image, but once you understand your weapon, DSLR will let you get want you want to achieve!

that's also why the most expensive pro-level DSLR, don't even keep a auto mode and without a built in flash!

this is also the fun comes for DSLR!!!!!!

try harder, shoot, think and read, will help!

Hi Guys,

Sorry for slow update.

for night photography, usually are these settings

ISO = the lowest yr dslr can go, ISO 100, ISO 200 etc.
    shutter = usually more than 12-15secs
    F stop = F8 and above

using a tripod is a must.

these are not hard rules(u can shoot at different ISO, shutter, F stop etc)... but usually with these settings, the photo will turn out ok, then it is up to yr perspective.

Hi Guys,

Sorry for slow update.

Hi Shiwei,

Can you explain a bit more about what you are dissatisfied with from the photos? Are you saying that your old digital camera photos are sharper, or that there is more contrast, or is it something else? Looking at the shots from your 400D by themselves, they don't look too bad. The only thing you can do to improve the image quality is to get a tripod so that you can lower the ISO and lessen the noise and also to keep the image more steady (and hence sharper).

Also, you need to understand that the output from a DSLR is not really meant to be the final output. You are expected to do some basic levels and sharpening on your own in photoshop or some image editing software. This is the reason why people prefer DSLRs for better quality images. It is because you have a wider range of options for editing your photos after it is taken. For a small point and shoot digital camera, all the choices are made for you by the camera, and the output looks nicer because the camera has already done all the levels adjustments and sharpening in the camera after you take the shot, and you as the photographer have less latitude for your own creative input from the photo.

Lastly, your point and shoot is probably lighter than the DSLR, so you can probably get away with shooting such night scenes handheld and still have a pretty sharp photo. With the DSLR, you need to practice your breathing when you take a shot to keep the camera steady, or to find things to lean against, or get a tripod.

technically, other than all suggest above you may try set you WB, AWB is not working well for any light condition. especially on Canon -- I did try 300D 400D 20D and 30D, their AWB is not correct under fluoro lighting!

night shot set 3500K --5000K for different light source may help on color and overall feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nenjia View Post
    technically, other than all suggest above you may try set you WB, AWB is not working well for any light condition. especially on Canon -- I did try 300D 400D 20D and 30D, their AWB is not correct under fluoro lighting!

night shot set 3500K --5000K for different light source may help on color and overall feeling.
    I agree AWB is not Canon's best suit. =) Never had problems with Fluoroscent though, however the WB on my cam always misses with tungsten and other warm lights. 350D here.

I agree AWB is not Canon's best suit. =) Never had problems with Fluoroscent though, however the WB on my cam always misses with tungsten and other warm lights. 350D here.
    That was one of the reason why I need to use LV to check the WB (esp indoor shots) before taking a shot... else have to use custom WB....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast