Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Credit to Photographer"

Default Re: "Credit to Photographer"

Well, I felt that it will be fair the photographers to earn their credits for the effort done and the organisors to make a small income out of work shops though the organising part is not easy with models sabo the shoot so often. Perhaps we should put a warning tag on those models as well instead of just photos copyright. We do loose reputation and money like models dun turn up with lame excuses or even jumping ship to another organisor because of $10 difference.

My personal view, if we speak, we speak for all and not just for 1 reason since the moderators are already starting to clean up the threads which I truely respected.
    Support my Theme Shoots!

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    den how to go about execrising the rights? thatz why i tot need 1 new rule, organisers must abide by. den got new rule need 'nanny' to enforce.
    The rule now by the admins is to name the photographer for each photo put up if not the thread will be removed and I think it is pretty decent already.
    Support my Theme Shoots!

den how to go about execrising the rights? thatz why i tot need 1 new rule, organisers must abide by. den got new rule need 'nanny' to enforce.
    We, the photographers, must enforce the copyrights ourselves.

Many a times, when we found out one of the photographer posting others images on the net, claiming to be his/hers, we as a community usually goes up in arms to crucify the violator. Off hand I can remember a few. I am sure we all remember a few such incidents, remember airplanes, remember weddings?

If the copyright violation happens in the photoshoot forum, should we not go up in arms?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Xperio View Post
    Perhaps we should put a warning tag on those models as well instead of just photos copyright. We do loose reputation and money like models dun turn up with lame excuses or even jumping ship to another organisor because of $10 difference.
    serious har? i thought TFCD models sabo photographers only ....

I think some organisers are to be blamed too .... There are usually some newbie-models who request for TFCD ... but then you can see the competitions from so many new organisers ..... all promising so much to these models, who really are all CMI coz of their zero-exposure to posing basics.

Many a time these models will give ridiculous reasons at the last mins ... obviously they would prefer to be paid by organizers, even though they forget that they have zero experience.
    always the Light, .... always.

The rule now by the admins is to name the photographer for each photo put up if not the thread will be removed and I think it is pretty decent already.
    That is a pretty decent rule by the admins ....

But some facts have to be clear .... naming the photographer DOES NOT mean that the photographer has given permission to use that photo ... i think that must be made clear.

The models can probably name the photographer that took the picture; but did the photographer give the model permission to use the photo for marketing of an organised shoot?
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Long Thai Bean View Post
    That is a pretty decent rule by the admins ....

But some facts have to be clear .... naming the photographer DOES NOT mean that the photographer has given permission to use that photo ... i think that must be made clear.

The models can probably name the photographer that took the picture; but did the photographer give the model permission to use the photo for marketing of an organised shoot?
    Enforcement will have to be by the photographers. No one else can do it for them.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Well, I felt that it will be fair the photographers to earn their credits for the effort done and the organisors to make a small income out of work shops though the organising part is not easy with models sabo the shoot so often. Perhaps we should put a warning tag on those models as well instead of just photos copyright. We do loose reputation and money like models dun turn up with lame excuses or even jumping ship to another organisor because of $10 difference.

My personal view, if we speak, we speak for all and not just for 1 reason since the moderators are already starting to clean up the threads which I truely respected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    serious har? i thought TFCD models sabo photographers only ....

I think some organisers are to be blamed too .... There are usually some newbie-models who request for TFCD ... but then you can see the competitions from so many new organisers ..... all promising so much to these models, who really are all CMI coz of their zero-exposure to posing basics.

Many a time these models will give ridiculous reasons at the last mins ... obviously they would prefer to be paid by organizers, even though they forget that they have zero experience.
    I am not an organiser and do not organise stuff on CS ...

But i think the issue here is "Credit to the Photographer"

I believe the points raise above are important and quite a problem for the organisers ... BUT maybe they should be raised on another seperate independent thread and all the Shoot organisers and models (wannabe et al) can come in to discuss.
    Touch the Moments ... Hold the colours of Joy

There is no need for a new rule on such issue .... everyone should just realize that it is only right to ask for permission as well as to give the credit to the rightful owner.

I am for self-regulation or at least members-regulated
    always the Light, .... always.

There is no need for a new rule on such issue .... everyone should just realize that it is only right to ask for permission as well as to give the credit to the rightful owner.

I am for self-regulation or at least members-regulated
    This should be regulated and policed by the memberships.

IF a mamber sees his/hers work being posted without permission, he/she must voiced his/hers grievances in the thread or publically.

If we sees works from fellow photographers being used and we suspected without permission, it becomes our responsibility to alert the aggrieved party.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

even though they forget that they have zero experience.
    haha

Not again...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

At the end of the day it's still the photographers' decision whether to give permission
    that his works are used albeit the professional photographers whose lively hood will be affected that really show cause for concern.As for hobbyist it's up to them to give rights
    for their works to be used eg TFCDs.

But it will be quite difficult to regulate or police such things unless there's some sort
    of registered soceity for photographers to oversee such violations.Still it's about individual
    choices.
    5D/5D3/Zeiss/28-85/100 F2/200 F4/50 F1.4/70-200/24-85/85 F1.4
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeisser/

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    We, the photographers, must enforce the copyrights ourselves.

Many a times, when we found out one of the photographer posting others images on the net, claiming to be his/hers, we as a community usually goes up in arms to crucify the violator. Off hand I can remember a few. I am sure we all remember a few such incidents, remember airplanes, remember weddings?

If the copyright violation happens in the photoshoot forum, should we not go up in arms?
    for enforcement, its easier to do so in the same forum. i dun remember wad airplanes or weddings...

if there is/was a violation we should at least voice out. but as for "go up in arms", wad does it entail?

vince123123
    Guests

In my mind, the issue is not whether credit or no credit is given, but the oxymoronic redundant statement "Credit to the Photographer".

The purpose of a credit is to identify the author. Credit to the Photographer is a statement that cheezes me off more than having no statement at all. Having no statement at least clearly shows the person forgot/can't be bothered/ignored/bochap/intentionally dont care and can then be taken to task accordingly; but "credit to the photographer shows a lack of the legal basis of why credits is even given, and some people even think that they can use any photo so long as they credit. But since they donno who the photographer is, they just say "credit the photographer".

This is legally wrong on two counts. First, just because you credit, doesn't mean you are off the hook. Second, even if crediting allows usage, saying "credit to the photographer" is no credit at all and does not qualify as valid crediting.

I always tot "credit to photog".... means credit to photog's bank account.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    This is legally wrong on two counts. First, just because you credit, doesn't mean you are off the hook. Second, even if crediting allows usage, saying "credit to the photographer" is no credit at all and does not qualify as valid crediting.
    wad if by crediting the photographer by stating the name, not just general term "photographer" leh?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 28th December 2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling edit

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Hahahaha
    Support my Theme Shoots!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I have seen more and more such statements " ... credit to photographer ..." in the photoshoot section.

We, as photographer, must exercise our rights regarding copyrights and usage rights. If we do not who will?

Granted, many do feel good when their pictures are used by someone else. I am not suggesting that we forbid the models from using them, but, 2 things must happen.

Permission and Acknowledgment

Many organisers do credit the photographers, but the "credit to photographer" BS is on the rise.

Let's educate the models and the organisers. Too many of them are green.
    Fact spoken my friend.

Photography is a 2-way business. Especially that of portrait & fashion shoots.

However, 1 question have been constantly bugging me. How about street photography?

vince123123
    Guests

Then it would be a valid credit; although a valid credit in itself is by no means a defence to infringement. That said in practical terms (not legal), most photographers will be happy to let things be if their name is quoted.

wad if by crediting the photographer by stating the name, not just general term "photographer" leh?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast