Thread: Newbie question regards to flashgun and ISO

Default Newbie question regards to flashgun and ISO

Hi there, I'm new in photography and just wonder know in what suituation we use flash and use ISO with higher setting?

Can we shoot insect without using flash but just set the ISO higher like 1600 > ? Actually wanted to get a more natural lighting rather then sometimes having harsh light directly on the object.

Another example if I want to shoot fireworks (those hold on hands) what setting should I set as? tripod a must?

Sorry I'm still very new in photography, may asked some silly question
    But hope to ask more, understand more and learn more.

Default Re: Newbie question regards to flashgun and ISO

Flash can be rather natural too, depending on technique(bounce card, light sphere..ect ect)

you can increase the ISO but this results in digital noise grain.

fireworks you would have to use a tripod to expose nice trails

Quote Originally Posted by noob117 View Post
    Flash can be rather natural too, depending on technique(bounce card, light sphere..ect ect)

you can increase the ISO but this results in digital noise grain.

fireworks you would have to use a tripod to expose nice trails
    Hi noob117,

I dont have the bounce card, light sphere etc...let me try out some shot without using flash but just set the ISO higher and see the result. Never try before.

For the firework, ok a tripod is a must then how about the setting? flash? (I never take any nightshot before.....)

wat camera r u using?? is ISO 1600 still acceptable? is it very noisy? if it's not, by all means use it.. but if u r shooting insects, u will want all the details u can get and setting at 1600 will lose alot of details if your cam can't make it at 1600... you can try using those ring flash specially for marco shots.

as for the fireworks, do a search in the forum.. there's alot of tips on shooting fireworks.. to me, tripod is 1 of the must have equipment for shooting fireworks..

got ask questions better than not asking.. so no worries.. i'm still new too...
    yeah. i'm still a noob..

Have a good look into other sections here. Your flash question rather points towards "Macro" - you can find lots of people, pictures and knowledge in the respective section. Your second question goes towards night photography which is also represented here with a dedicated section. Search for the pictures from last NDP and you'll find lots of information ho those pictures were taken. And yes, tripod is a must for night photography and "highly recommended" for Macro.

Quote Originally Posted by rookie86 View Post
    wat camera r u using?? is ISO 1600 still acceptable? is it very noisy? if it's not, by all means use it.....
    Hi rookie86, went for macro outing today and had checked with "shi-fu" and noted that shooting macro is best to use use flash, setting of high ISO many details will be missing

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Have a good look into other sections here. Your flash question rather points towards "Macro" - you can find lots of people, pictures and knowledge in the respective section. Your second question goes towards night photography which is also represented here with a dedicated section. Search for the pictures from last NDP and you'll find lots of information ho those pictures were taken. And yes, tripod is a must for night photography and "highly recommended" for Macro.
    Hi Octarine, thanks for the reminder btw, I'm not talking about those fireworks in the sky.....but referring to those that hold on hands when you light it and it comes with sparklers. what you call that?

Quote Originally Posted by JC1808 View Post
    btw, I'm not talking about those fireworks in the sky.....but referring to those that hold on hands when you light it and it comes with sparklers. what you call that?
    Oh, those sticks. To get the trails of the sparks you need a bit longer exposure. Stable hands or IS would be good to have. Just found a picture that I took some years ago: 1/8sec. A bit longer would would be even better. Don't increase ISO too much, it just gets noisy.

As you have found out. Macro shooters tend to use as low a ISO as possible to get more details and colours out of the subjects.

Thus many actually use tripods and multiple flashes to light up the subject suffciently. I personally use a single flash (with flash ev compensation dialled down) and handheld for more flexibility...

As for sparklers, yes, you can shoot them handheld for short durations of 1 sec or less but you would be better off with a tripod for the longer durations required to get the light trails.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site