Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Ez-Link smart cards

Default Re: New Ez-Link smart cards

Current, my EZlink card stays buried inside the wallet, it practically never comes out because the card can be used from inside the wallet. The cashcard on the other hand, either has to go in and out of the wallet frequently, or just lives in the ERP unit. So, how much added convenience does combining the two actually bring me? It may make things worse if i decide to keep two cards - one for ERP use and one for EZlink use: will i be double-charged "accidentally" if there are two ez-link enabled cards in my wallet and i forget to take one out when i tap it?

i wonder if they really thought through the usage for the public before happily "upgrading" the technology.
    Last edited by ST1100; 29th December 2008 at 01:09 AM.

vince123123
    Guests

That is indeed a very good point; and you know what the transport pple will tell you?

Lose the cashcard, and pay the ridiculous S$2 charge so that the ERP will be billed to your card.

However, I do see one advantage, that is, when using either card at third party merchants, I no longer will have to see if they accept ezlink or cashcard. E.g. vending machines, macdonalds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    Current, my EZlink card stays buried inside the wallet, it practically never comes out because the card can be used from inside the wallet. The cashcard on the other hand, either has to go in and out of the wallet frequently, or just lives in the ERP unit. So, how much added convenience does combining the two actually bring me? It may make things worse if i decide to keep two cards - one for ERP use and one for EZlink use: will i be double-charged "accidentally" if there are two ez-link enabled cards in my wallet and i forget to take one out when i tap it?

i wonder if they really thought through the usage for the public before happily "upgrading" the technology.

Who paid for the card

We deposit cash in w/o interest

Can refund our old card then replace new cards free

Garment stop this habit.

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post

2card thingy. Personally tested liao. So far always error. No deductions yet. However do note that current system also got conflicts with some other enty access cards.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Smile Re: New Ez-Link smart cards

so far, the official communciation is one for one exchange. the detailed mechanics will be out in jan 09.

Quote Originally Posted by mccm33 View Post
    Who paid for the card

We deposit cash in w/o interest

Can refund our old card then replace new cards free

Garment stop this habit.

Quote Originally Posted by deancool335 View Post
    well there are rebates for transportation when you change buses.
    true, but can never know when rules change. especially if there is an increase in fares in the future, rebates will mean little.

Do we need to change the IU in our car to use this new ez-link card, and will cashcards will be phased out eventually & when?
    Last edited by ConnorMcLeod; 30th December 2008 at 05:23 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

The idea is that it can be used without changing the IU. If need to change, defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The idea is that it can be used without changing the IU. If need to change, defeats the purpose.
    so is it a cashcard + NFC device?

They going to use satelite for the ERP liao

Why do this for?

The planner(s) get richer from it then

vince123123
    Guests

I dont think so, the device probably stays the same. Just that the new card can work with both cashcard devices and NFC devices.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcLeod View Post
    so is it a cashcard + NFC device?

Quote Originally Posted by mccm33 View Post
    They going to use satelite for the ERP liao

Why do this for?

The planner(s) get richer from it then
    Once initial investment is made, can add gantries anywhere quickly.then they can add gantries to where the new traffic flows and so on

Arrow Re: New Ez-Link smart cards

MASS ez-link card REPLACEMENT BEGINS
    Current ez-link cardholders have 9 months to exchange their cards - from 9 January to 30 September 2009

SINGAPORE – 8 January, 2009

1. Members of the public will be able to exchange their ez-link cards for new cards that are CEPAS–compliant in a free one-for-one card replacement exercise starting from tomorrow (9 January). The new cards are required for the next generation e-payment system for public transport, Symphony for e-Payment (SeP) which was launched by the Land Transport Authority in December 2008. SeP is based on the Singapore Standard for Contactless ePurse Application (CEPAS) and allows more card issuers to issue CEPAS-compliant cards for use in Singapore's public transit system, thus giving commuters more choice.

2. The card replacement exercise will be conducted in stages, starting from 9 January with the replacement of cards for holders of the ez-link Adult Anonymous cards. This will be followed by the replacement of cards for holders of concession cards from 16 February.

3. The one-for-one card replacement exercise will end in September 2009, when the current EIFS fare system will be discontinued. After September 2009, the old ez-link cards cannot be used for travel on public transit. However, cardholders may still get a refund on any remaining value in their old cards up to 12 years from the date the card is first encoded for use.

Avenues for card exchange
    4. Cardholders may exchange their cards at the following venues:

http://www.ezlink.com.sg/NEWS_ez_press08Jan09.htm

5. The card replacement exercise applies to both valid and expired adult ez-link card and valid concession cards. Holders of co-brand credit or debit cards with an ez-link purse will be informed by their respective banks on the replacement procedure for their cards.

6. To ease queuing time during the card replacement exercise, more counters will be opened and operating hours extended at selected MRT stations with high commuter traffic. Additional manpower will be on-hand to assist cardholders and to direct commuters to the right counters.

What commuters need to do

7. Cardholders may exchange up to a maximum of three cards at a time to help minimise waiting time for others.

8. At the point of card exchange, any remaining value in their card will be transferred to the new card. Their old card will be retained. Cardholders whose current Adult ez-link, Senior Citizen, Tertiary and National Servicemen concession card has a value of less than -$3.00 should top up their card before exchanging it. Student concession cardholders should top-up their card if their current card has a value of less than -$1.00 before exchanging it. Top-up service will not be provided at the card exchange counter to minimise waiting time for others. Those who need to top-up their cards may do so at the automatic top-up machines (General Ticketing Machines and Add Value Machines) and Passenger Service Centres.

9. As the non-transit applications for the new ez-link cards will be available in phases, commuters who wish to continue to be able to use non-transit applications should exchange their cards at a later date, when these applications become available. (Examples of non-transit applications include use for payment at convenience stores, libraries, and on SMRT taxis.)

Credit Card and GIRO Top-up facilities
    10. The Auto Credit Card or GIRO Top-Up facilities on the current ez-link card will be discontinued when the card is exchanged. Refund on the current card will be transferred to the new card issued or to the designated credit card account.

11. Cardholders will need to re-apply for the facility for their new card. All cardholders who are on Auto Credit Card Top-up facility and bank GIRO will be advised directly via mail by the respective scheme owners about their card replacement procedures.

Adult Anonymous Cards
    12. EZ-Link will offer two auto top-up facilities for the new adult ez-link cards:
    (i) Auto Credit Card Top-Up facility, available from 27 February 2009 or
    (ii) Auto GIRO Top-Up facility, available from 27 July 2009

13. More details on each of these facilities will be made available on the EZ-Link website at www.ezlink.com.sg at a later date.

Concession Cards
    14. Similarly, LTA who is the issuer of the new concession cards will offer two auto top-up facilities for these cards. The schemes will be managed by TransitLink Pte Ltd. Concession cardholders can re-apply for the facility when they receive their new card. Details of the application are as follows:
    (i) Auto Top-Up (GIRO) facility, available from 16 March 2009
    Application for the facility can be made via the General Ticketing Machines located in MRT and LRT stations. Non-Singaporeans may call TransitLink Hotline to request for an application form.
    (ii) Auto Credit Card Top-Up facility, available from 27 July 2009
    Details of the application for the facility will be announced via TransitLink website www.transitlink.com.sg at a later date.

15. ez-link Adult and concession cardholders who wish to continue using their current Auto Top-Up facility are advised to exchange their current card at a later date when these facilities become available.

Features and benefits of the new ez-link card
    16. Unlike the existing ez-link card, the new ez-link card does not have a travel deposit. Commuters will have full use of the stored value of the card for transit and non-transit payments. To ensure commuters are familiar with the no-deposit feature and use of the new card, a brochure will be given to cardholders with their new card.

17. The brochure will highlight the no-deposit feature of the new card and remind cardholders to ensure that they have sufficient value in their cards to complete their journey before entering the transit system, and to top-up their cards when the balance is low (i.e. less than $5).

18 . From end-March, motorists with vehicles fitted with the next generation In-vehicle Unit can use the new ez-link card for Electronic Road Pricing transactions. By mid-2009, they can use the new card to make payments at carparks with Electronic Parking Systems that support the CEPAS standard.

19. Merchants or service providers that are ready to accept the new ez-link cards for payment will have stickers and notices of the new ez-link card displayed at their point of sales.

20. For enquiries on the card replacement exercise, members of the public are encouraged to call LTA, EZ-Link and TransitLink at the following numbers:
    • LTA at 1800 CALL LTA (1800 225 5582)
    • EZ-Link at 6496 8300 Operating hours: 8am – 6pm daily except Public Holidays

• TransitLink at 1800-2255-663 Operating hours: 8am – 6pm daily except Public Holidays

Last edited by xtemujin; 11th January 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123