Thread: Do I still need to calibrate my monitor if I do not print at home?

Default Do I still need to calibrate my monitor if I do not print at home?

I mean, the photo developers don't care what ICC profile I use, right?

Default Re: Do I still need to calibrate my monitor if I do not print at home?

Calibration of monitors is to ensure that what you see on your monitor in terms of colour, contrast, saturation etc is accurate.

be good to do that....because I realised that my Laptop monitor gives a brighter output...after my printer/developer keeps telling me that my photos are underexposed whilst looking correct to me on the laptop screen...
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

yeap, calibration will make sure u are seeing accurate colors, but the lcd's panel comes into play as well.
    if u intend to print, u'll need a printer calibrator as well.
    my 2cents

If you plan to adjust the colour (like temperature) during post processing using programs like Photoshop, then you will need to calibrate your monitor. The main reason is... you want to see the right colours the picture should be showing.

It will be sad if all your pictures are showing the right colour, but you adjust them all to something alien looking because your monitor is off.

A good photo developer usually have a colour profile that will produce decent pictures if your monitor is calibrated correctly. The difference is small, and matters little unless you are a professional and you have specific colours you need to reproduce to a high level of accuracy. In which case, you will probably invest in a more expensive monitor calibrator.

But... if your pictures all have wrong looking colours, but look good just on your badly calibrated screen... the chances are, they will look bad on paper... whichever photo developer you choose.

If you are so worried about the printer's profile, you can take a picture from a specific printer, and try to calibrate manually until the picture on your screen looks like the picture from the printers. But I have found this to be unnecessary once my monitor is calibrated properly using my Spyder2Pro.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 26th December 2008 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks, all, for your prompt replies. I will go about calibrating my monitor soon.