Thread: Wedding shoot questions

Smile Wedding shoot questions

Hi,
    I'm not sure if I should post it here but I do need help in answering some doubts. In wedding Ballroom where the ceilings are high, subjects are the guests/groups/Bride & groom, Omni Bounce does not really help much. So Questions:

- Which is the better flash diffuser in this scenerio?(Bounce card<-can be quite harsh on faces , whaletail, Lightsphere)

- Prefered aperture settings or juz simply use P function as in Canon DSLR.(I used Av on f/5-5.6<--dunno if this is the optimal setting)

- Suitable & best lense for reducing handshake pictures (I used 17-40mm but the keep rate wasnt high enough due to handshake & OOF issues) I would love to use my 70-200mm IS but in ballroom settings this lense is not really helpful if u need to take group pictures.

- I set my ISO at 400. In flim days 400 is enough for ballroom shots but in digital, I am not very sure if this is the best settings.

For the OOF issue is partially due to my inability to see clearly through the view finder and also under dim light condition(astimatism). However I did use the * button to pre-flash to allow the camera to Auto-focus & for AE lock. Result wasnt satisfactory though. As for handshake, I presume it can be trained but after holding the camera for hours, slight handshake cannot be avoided.(Mine weighs almost 2kg with grip + 17-40 + 2batt & 3kg with my 70-200IS)

During the years of using my Nikon F50 days. These things did not happen at all.

Would greatly appreciate if some could help me to answer my queries or contribute some tips. Thank you & a Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Crabby; 29th December 2008 at 05:13 AM.
    Canon EOS 20D|EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS|EF 17-40mm f/4L|EF 85mmII f1.2L|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|580EX

Smile Re: Wedding shoot questions

Is it that my questions not specific enuff? I would really need some tips from the pros. As the lighting concerned is rather tricky to tickle. Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Crabby; 29th December 2008 at 04:52 AM.
    Canon EOS 20D|EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS|EF 17-40mm f/4L|EF 85mmII f1.2L|EF 50mm f/1.8 II|580EX

Default Re: Wedding shoot questions

all bounce devices use up lot of flash power to create soft lighting

when not possible /practical to use omni bounce flash, direct flash is the way to go, using big bounce card also possible, but it will only work up to certain extend.

no fixed setting to shoot a wedding thru out, experience will tell you use different setting for different situation. you can use f5.6 for a starting point.

keep you speed to a manageable level to prevent handshake, up your ISO if needed, IS will not help here if you subject is not static.

ISO 800 and above is the way to go, as newer DSLR able to handle noise control very well at high ISO.

flash and camera body both have auto focus assist illuminator, it will kick in when the ambient light is low, check you custom manual is both being switch on or not.

hope this help.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Smile Re: Wedding shoot questions

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    all bounce devices use up lot of flash power to create soft lighting

when not possible /practical to use omni bounce flash, direct flash is the way to go, using big bounce card also possible, but it will only work up to certain extend.

no fixed setting to shoot a wedding thru out, experience will tell you use different setting for different situation. you can use f5.6 for a starting point.

keep you speed to a manageable level to prevent handshake, up your ISO if needed, IS will not help here if you subject is not static.

ISO 800 and above is the way to go, as newer DSLR able to handle noise control very well at high ISO.

flash and camera body both have auto focus assist illuminator, it will kick in when the ambient light is low, check you custom manual is both being switch on or not.

hope this help.

Hi Catchlight,
    Thanks for your tips. I think from now onwards, I will use ISO800 for the shots. I dunno if my 20D can handle noise as well or not. I used whaletail & also noticed that it actually soften the flash power hence making the camera's computer to be confused when having AE/exposure lock. BTW do u even use that? The flash is in ETTL mode. As you'd said, I think I better stick back to my old homemade bounce card next time. Will try this again if have the chance & share the outcome.

Accord to my experience, usually for indoors, range f/5-5.6 is quite ok. If there is other settings for indoor ballroom, I will love to try. But will having a faster lense help? Any better recommendation rather than 17-40 that I am using? Used once with a borrowed 85mm f/1.2L & the shots were great. But it lacks the flexibility though. What I'm trying to achieve here is to have group shots with adequate ambiant lightings & faces are not too overly exposed due to the strong flash. I know this takes years of experience.(thats why I am asking questions here )

Agreed that maybe I am too anxious to take as much photos & had ignore the fact of hand fatigue. Will try to moderate & maybe take out my grip to reduce weight.

Once again really appreciate your replies. Expecting more from other pros out there ...

Cheer!

Default Re: Wedding shoot questions

- Which is the better flash diffuser in this scenerio?(Bounce card<-can be quite harsh on faces , whaletail, Lightsphere)
    i prefer direct with a stofen if i cannot bounce

- Prefered aperture settings or juz simply use P function as in Canon DSLR.(I used Av on f/5-5.6<--dunno if this is the optimal setting)
    depends on the no. of ppl and how many rows.

- Suitable & best lense for reducing handshake pictures (I used 17-40mm but the keep rate wasnt high enough due to handshake & OOF issues) I would love to use my 70-200mm IS but in ballroom settings this lense is not really helpful if u need to take group pictures.
    20D u can use the 17-55IS f2.8, one more stop and IS

- I set my ISO at 400. In flim days 400 is enough for ballroom shots but in digital, I am not very sure if this is the best settings.
    better a grainy shot then a blur one with no grains.