Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my turn : been arrowed to cover ROM ceremony

Deregistered

I take your ROM means the place as well? If so,

1) bouncing off the ceiling without a bounce card is going to be hazardous to your shots. The ceiling is equipped with lights, so bouncing off the lights up above will give your shots a light orange cast (since the walls are orange as well...) the bounce card will help to reflect the light softer and getting rid of shadows. Not to mention that the light is centered in the room, so at the table where the judge is, you will get quite dark shots on the judge's side, and the bride/bridegroom side tends to be brigther. The bouncecard should help in throwing the light to get a more even shot.

2) As recommended by some experts here before 75-80 is fine.

3) Yes, please do. You don't want the shots to turn out whitish. There's a bit of ambient light there, not a lot but can't say it's not enough as well. Capture it with a high ISO value of about 400

4) Might be dangerous, but the A priority would do fine, just worried that the camera might meter 1/15 shots for you. I think the last time I did ROM, my camera metered that

5) ARggh!!! no swivel???? Guess the best thing you can do is to ignore the fact you have a flash there, just tilt to the side and shoot, from the side your shots shouldn't cast a heavy shadow on the walls since your bounce card is still attached at 75-80.

Guys, if I'm wrong, correct me, thanks.

thank you espn for you reply!

Yes! the main problem will be the shots in the ROM room itself where the ceremony is!

on the bounce card, where can I get a relatively good one not costing too much? what brand is it?

so on point (5), I will just keep the flash in 'normal' position and shoot with flash direct?

Thanks!

P/S: All, once again, pls pardon my ignorance!
    Olympus E-3 / E-500 / XA | Vivitar UWS
    Blog & Photos

Deregistered

Just go to popular bookshop, get a white piece of corrugated paper ($1.50?) and just cut to size, you might want to start thinking how to attach it to your flash, most CSers use either Sulhan's black rubberband or velcro to secure the flash.

As on point 5, yes, keep it in 'normal' position since it doesn't come swivelled.

What ignorance!! Everybody learns from shooting, now go out and shoot!!!

SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT

haha!
    yes sir!

Thank you sir!
    Blog & Photos

Quote Originally Posted by petaflopz
    haha!
    yes sir!

Thank you sir!
    hey good luck man! i'm gonna be shooting for ROM day also but not so soon.. oh then again.. i think it's like only 2 weeks away. *frantically flips diary... oh i dun have one!*

anyway i'm bookmarking this thread for my reference too!

Quote Originally Posted by petaflopz
    Hi CSers!

I have recently been arrowed to cover the ROM ceremony for a cousin of mine.
    Seems like cost is a factor and hence, they will prefer someone who's FOC.

Anyway, the problem is, even though I know that their expectations are not high, I do not want the pictures to turn out bad as well...

As I am just a 'normal' photographer, my kit is pretty limited.

Question is, what can I do with this kit of mine? What should I look out for during the solemnization and maybe outdoor shots later?

my kit:
    =====
    - minolta dynax 505si super
    - 28-80mm + 75-300mm

Thanks!

Alternatively, at ROM. There are some Pro/freelance photographers stationed over there offering $20 service to cover the event. They know pretty well the ROM procedure, what to take & which angle to cover. At the end of it you get that 1 roll of negative 36 exposure back to develop.

Deregistered

I can help out if you need a backup heehee... but I'm digital

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    muahahah i was just waiting for such a post from u.

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO
    hey good luck man! i'm gonna be shooting for ROM day also but not so soon.. oh then again.. i think it's like only 2 weeks away. *frantically flips diary... oh i dun have one!*

anyway i'm bookmarking this thread for my reference too!
    good luck to you too joho! hope you are more equipped than me in terms of knowledge and equipment...
    Blog & Photos

Quote Originally Posted by photogene
    Alternatively, at ROM. There are some Pro/freelance photographers stationed over there offering $20 service to cover the event. They know pretty well the ROM procedure, what to take & which angle to cover. At the end of it you get that 1 roll of negative 36 exposure back to develop.
    haha! I will if I freak out at the last moment...!
    Blog & Photos

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    hmm.. my cousin's pretty 'shy'... she will contend with just a basic amateur like me
    Blog & Photos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12