View Poll Results: Do you expect to be spoonfed?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 14.75%
  • No

23 37.70%
  • Sometimes

29 47.54%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spoonfeeding

Default Re: Spoonfeeding

ask any question = spoonfeed?

keke, dun answer this (trick) question. wait somebody will say "dun spoonfeed" ok!!
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 29th December 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Regardless of what the subjects matter is being asked, if you feel that you would like to help out, by all means you can try to answer the query. You could also choose to ignore it if you think they should have place some effort in searching for the answer themselves first rather then posting the question in the forum. If no one answers their question, they will most likely go look for it elsewhere and maybe it will force them to search harder.

But there will be times when there will be those who truly do not know how to search for information other then asking aloud. I have encountered these types before – they really do not know how to search and these type of people exist. Anyone will encounter times where they are new to something and don’t know where to get help other then asking someone.

Anyway, to help or not to help, its 100% up to you. There is no rule in any forum or forum like site that forces anyone to answer questions regardless of the type of questions asked. It’s all virtual here. You have the power to choose to “ignore” unless of course you have some kind of mental block that is prohibiting you from doing so.
    I agree with this. If you dont want to answer for whatever reason, then dont. No one is forcing you to participate in this forum. Also remember that some people ask questions because they want to interact with other forumers. That is after all one of the reasons why there are forums. Sure a few minutes with google will get you the answer, but it wont expand your social circle among netizens. In real world terms, you could meet up with friends to find out about something or you could hole yourself up in a library. Either way most of the time you will get the answer (or part of it). What if your friends told you: go and google it and dont expect to be spoonfed?

Ironically, if you do a search on a certain topic, in a lot of cases the answer is found in a forum somewhere. Now what if everyone had the attitude that you should google this or wikipedia that? Surely the net would not be as informative a place as it could be.

I find it disturbing that some forummers have a holier-than-thou-attitude (judging by their replies to this thread). These very same forummers can often be found engaging in senseless banter or making some other useless post. Its OK to do that but not to post a reply to help a fellow CSer? If some people want to "spoonfeed" others, then let them. Again, no one is forcing you to reply or even take part in a forum.

This may be old..but I still find it relevant, especially since this thread popped out.

Bear in mind that the post below was made by me in June 2006, as my feelings about CS to Wolfgang as he was explaining about why Mods have to draw a line in CS.

"Just would like to share some thoughts on this thread and CS in general, so bear with me while I ramble...

It's been a little over 1.5 years since I registered, and a bit over 2 years since I was first introduced to CS by a colleague of mine. It took me about 6 months to lurk around and to get to understand CS more. I think I've made the right decision in joining up with CS...or did I?

I have noticed a certain air of elitism creeping into CS about a year ago. This elitism manifests itself in the form of impatient replies in forums ("such a simple thing, you don't even know"), arrogance about one's knowledge/skills ("your shots lack good composition, and I can't stand the halo around the object"), non-sharing of basic information ("oh, I can't tell you the location..you'll have to figure it out yourself) and to even arguments about which brand is better ("XX is better because it has everything you wanted, including a satellite dish!").

This elitism has brought certain sections of the CS forums into what we can kindly describe as the gutter. And I'm glad the mods realise this and are taking steps to reclaim that back. However, I fear that this might be a bit of a challenge.

The basic problem is that as we have progressed along, we have forgotten how we first started on this hobby. So now, when newbies come along, we tsk tsk them and shake our heads at their ignorance. This in turns creates a perception that this is really a private place for the know-it-alls, professionals, people with every mother-father lens in the world, those who can afford $500 wireless flash systems, and even commercial entities.

So what can the mods do? Well for starters, bring the whole CS experience back to it's basic form..which is, by the public for the public. Honestly, I can't really care what some high-brow guy thinks about my composition, lighting or subject matter. Photography is about how one feels at the time of shooting, and not what others think.

The sheer number of "Subject Matter Experts" (SMEs) in CS on photo composition alone is scary enough to a newbie, who ends up feeling that every shot they take is going to be torn apart by everyone in the forums.

There is a need for a buddy system in the forum, in which an experienced photog volunteers to take a group of newbies under his/her wing and helps them enjoy their stay in CS.

I do hope that the moderators would sit down and seriously look at potential ways of helping bring back CS to its heyday again. I know that the mods are volunteers who also have lives to run, but it doesn't hurt to recruit additional capable people to back up the mods.

So, there you are, my thoughts on the whole CS thingy to date, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how CS will grow in the coming months and years. I'll stick around for the ride..."

Peace out!
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post

I find it disturbing that some forummers have a holier-than-thou-attitude (judging by their replies to this thread). These very same forummers can often be found engaging in senseless banter or making some other useless post. Its OK to do that but not to post a reply to help a fellow CSer? If some people want to "spoonfeed" others, then let them. Again, no one is forcing you to reply or even take part in a forum.
    Jackpot!

better to tell them how to fish,

than to tell them that they cannot comment

elitism? oh you bet, it comes in many different forms, and like someone always says, when you point one finger at someone, 3 are pointing back at you.
    Last edited by night86mare; 30th December 2008 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    better to tell them how to fish,

than to tell them that they cannot comment

elitism? oh you bet, it comes in many different forms, and like someone always says, when you point one finger at someone, 3 are pointing back at you.
    i seldom worry about any fingers pointing back at me if my finger pointing at that other person got enough substance.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i seldom worry about any fingers pointing back at me if my finger pointing at that other person got enough substance.
    Like what??? The nose booger that is still warm and sticking to your finger after a good nose dig before you point it at someone? heheh *siam*

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Like what??? The nose booger that is still warm and sticking to your finger after a good nose dig before you point it at someone? heheh *siam*
    win liao lor. thatz serious substance!

nietszche

battle not with monsters
    lest ye become a monster
    and if you gaze into the abyss
    the abyss gazes into you

if you always put yourself on a higher moral ground, and think you are the moral absolute, which no one should - then you know what it means.

for someone posting so many veiled comments about others' behaviour, you seem very sure of yourself! anyways, be happy! happy new year!

"it is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice!!"
    No, quote did not come from philosophy guru... but from an Australian Rugby League player.

../azul123

win liao lor. thatz serious substance!
    heheh...Don't know..was talking about you. I rarely point finger at people and even if so..it would be a clean middle finger hahahahah.....

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    heheh...Don't know..was talking about you. I rarely point finger at people and even if so..it would be a clean middle finger hahahahah.....
    dunno me yet still can anyhow say?

dunno me yet still can anyhow say?

Kopitiam type topic...begets kopitiam teasing heheh

nietszche

battle not with monsters
    lest ye become a monster
    and if you gaze into the abyss
    the abyss gazes into you
    words from someone who lacks empathy & patience to see beyond the superficial.

some monsters are born, others are made. for those that are born, change will be much much harder. not impossible, though few are.

given the "right" set of circumstances some will become monsters/menace to society. for those that were made, there is a possiblility of change.

if eyes are windows the soul, wad kind of soul do monsters have? wad story does it tell?

i know of 1 such monster dog for a short few months, it had the capacity for positive change. i got to know 1 day just b4 it was put to sleep. it did not 1 2 "go", it took more than double dose of anaesthetic...

if you always put yourself on a higher moral ground, and think you are the moral absolute, which no one should - then you know what it means.
    i do not wish to descend to a ground lower than decent. certainly nowhere near a fist fight. some would, no me. i do not claim moral absolute, that again i will leave it for others to form their opinion.

for someone posting so many veiled comments about others' behaviour, you seem very sure of yourself! anyways, be happy! happy new year!
    i tot i am more upfront than most.

may next year be a good year for u.

*OT....

placed on ignore list.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234