View Poll Results: Do you expect to be spoonfed?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 14.75%
  • No

    23 37.70%
  • Sometimes

    29 47.54%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 75

Thread: Spoonfeeding

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Regardless of what the subjects matter is being asked, if you feel that you would like to help out, by all means you can try to answer the query. You could also choose to ignore it if you think they should have place some effort in searching for the answer themselves first rather then posting the question in the forum. If no one answers their question, they will most likely go look for it elsewhere and maybe it will force them to search harder.

    But there will be times when there will be those who truly do not know how to search for information other then asking aloud. I have encountered these types before – they really do not know how to search and these type of people exist. Anyone will encounter times where they are new to something and don’t know where to get help other then asking someone.

    Anyway, to help or not to help, its 100% up to you. There is no rule in any forum or forum like site that forces anyone to answer questions regardless of the type of questions asked. It’s all virtual here. You have the power to choose to “ignore” unless of course you have some kind of mental block that is prohibiting you from doing so.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    What I extremely do not like is "HELP ME!" subject line or "Question from Noobie".

    This just shows that the person is not just noobie in CS but also noobie forumers. The subject line of the thread must be clear enough at one glance, eg: "having problem with focusing at night using XXX-brand camera YYY-model" is better.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by antacid View Post
    nothing wrong with telling people they can use the search function. it's HOW you say it. i have to agree that it can be quite daunting for newbies when they ask "what is ISO, har?"

    then they get replies like "use google, stupid."
    "read the manual"
    "you never search? so lazy you want us to spoonfeed you?"

    you can ignore it if you feel that it's just another noob wasting your precious time as you trawl CS for the next XMM to have some quality time with, if not spend so much money on camera for what? or if people feel the undescribable urge to add something, you can say the same thing without being rude, condescending, and patronising. perhaps, "are you new? maybe you can check the manual, or try google for some answers. those are good resources for most questions"

    some questions may seem -roll-eyes-ZOMFG-is-he-that-stupid?- to you, a pro who makes his living with the camera, or if you already have the pre-requisite 100 XMM mass-shoot. but to the uninitiated, it's probably a legitimate question.

    no need to be hostile, let's all try to be more polite to each other. if nothing good to say, don't say. go read something funny and make yourself happy.
    Exact sentiments!

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    The basics are all there in the newbie thread. If they actually bother to read up and looked around a bit, they won't have to ask the SAME inane questions AGAIN AND AGAIN...

    While I do try to help occasionally, I really feel irritated at ppl asking the BASIC questions where the answers are already spelt out in another thread which could have been discovered if the poster has bothered to READ MORE.

    And asking about settings, haiz another point... why can't they just SHOOT more and try out all the different settings in different lighting, there they would have been able to figure out why the setting has given them such a result instead.

    Anyway, they just bother to Post more, which should have been the last step, which is to get critique after they have done their homework and is able to understand better.
    While reading this post, i came to think of something, i do not know whether is it relevant.
    You determine.

    Beginning of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR (1st to meet on 1st day of work) where is toilet.
    Mid of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR where is toilet.
    End of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR where is toilet.

    Will the HR think Why can't they look out for signage?

    Yes, the frequency of the question asked is much lesser unlike here every now n then...
    Objective is a newbie post a similar question.
    I believe at times ppl will ask around of their objective but when being pointed out, they would be like oh... here ah, there ah. how come never noticed.



    Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Regardless of what the subjects matter is being asked, if you feel that you would like to help out, by all means you can try to answer the query. You could also choose to ignore it if you think they should have place some effort in searching for the answer themselves first rather then posting the question in the forum. If no one answers their question, they will most likely go look for it elsewhere and maybe it will force them to search harder.

    But there will be times when there will be those who truly do not know how to search for information other then asking aloud. I have encountered these types before – they really do not know how to search and these type of people exist. Anyone will encounter times where they are new to something and don’t know where to get help other then asking someone.

    Anyway, to help or not to help, its 100% up to you. There is no rule in any forum or forum like site that forces anyone to answer questions regardless of the type of questions asked. It’s all virtual here. You have the power to choose to “ignore” unless of course you have some kind of mental block that is prohibiting you from doing so.
    I always believe in giving people the benefit of doubt. One may be good at it does not mean the rest will be the same. i fully agree with Bartman had mentioned. One must not be so rigid over certain things. No spoonfeeding, fine. No one will blame. But posing irrelevant comments i think its definately OT plus flaming. He should be banned!!!
    Its like someone speeding you as a common person (not Traffice police) went over to him. ey.. u cannot speed. Come on... who are you in the position to give comments.
    that's how i feel.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncake View Post
    Beginning of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR (1st to meet on 1st day of work) where is toilet.
    Mid of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR where is toilet.
    End of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR where is toilet.
    So at beginning of 2009 HR is so fed up with the questions that he relocates the toilet bowls in the middle of canteen where everyone can find them?

  5. #45

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncake View Post
    While reading this post, i came to think of something, i do not know whether is it relevant.
    You determine.

    Beginning of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR (1st to meet on 1st day of work) where is toilet.
    Mid of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR where is toilet.
    End of Year 2008, a new employee ask HR where is toilet.

    Will the HR think Why can't they look out for signage?
    year 2009, hr fires themselves for hiring so many new employees who are blind.

    if they need the way to the toilet, either the company didn't put up sign, in which case is not true for CS, a lot of the repeated questions are stickies. or the employees are blind, simple as that.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    year 2009, hr fires themselves for hiring so many new employees who are blind.

    if they need the way to the toilet, either the company didn't put up sign, in which case is not true for CS, a lot of the repeated questions are stickies. or the employees are blind, simple as that.
    He should also fire anyone who can see but fails to follow the trail of stench.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    He should also fire anyone who can see but fails to follow the trail of stench.
    i do associate this demand for spoonfeeding as an issue of self-respect.

    any self-respecting person who would want to respect what he has, i.e. a brain and 2 eyes.. would certainly try to find out the intricate workings of any place, and observe.

    yes, we were all new once, but i do not see every newbie asking inane questions. i'm not talking about questions which show a good thought process, evidence that the guy has put in effort into find the answer to his question but is meeting barrier in doing so, hence he sought help. that is not an inane question, whoever slams him for asking it deserves to be burnt at the stake.

    you have eyes, you have grey matter between your ears, use it. simply typing "what is _____?" just shows how much you respect that mass between your ears.

    give unto others what you expect from them. if you show no effort in asking a question, then believe me, few will show you effort in replying to it.
    Last edited by night86mare; 28th December 2008 at 09:19 AM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i do associate this demand for spoonfeeding as an issue of self-respect.

    any self-respecting person who would want to respect what he has, i.e. a brain and 2 eyes.. would certainly try to find out the intricate workings of any place, and observe.

    yes, we were all new once, but i do not see every newbie asking inane questions. i'm not talking about questions which show a good thought process, evidence that the guy has put in effort into find the answer to his question but is meeting barrier in doing so, hence he sought help. that is not an inane question, whoever slams him for asking it deserves to be burnt at the stake.

    you have eyes, you have grey matter between your ears, use it. simply typing "what is _____?" just shows how much you respect that mass between your ears.

    give unto others what you expect from them. if you show no effort in asking a question, then believe me, few will show you effort in replying to it.
    Then you should form a CS comittee to give every newbie a basic photography test before he can post a question.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by fleaz View Post


    Why do so many users here expect to be spoonfed?

    I see so many repeated threads.

    Too lazy to use the search function?
    if dont spoonfed, then forkfed lor.
    Objection !!!

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Google first, it is your friend.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Humans are inherently lazy creatures.

    I don't expect to be spoonfed.

    I just want the info to be IV'ed direct into my veins...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  12. #52

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Simple, if you think they are lazy or stupid enough not to use google, DON'T answer to any questions. let them find out on their own. If you want them to find the route by themselves, why post reply like , use google, use this use that?, isn't that spoonfeeding too? Just shut up and don't reply if you people really want them to zi shi qi li!

    Waste of bandwith are theses people posting those much more stupid replies like the a.m.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Why so negative?
    If one does not want to share knowledge then just shut up and let others who know share their knowledge with those who do not have it.

    Everybody is ignorant, only about different things.

    Sure, one can do Google search.
    But search engine is not faultless.
    There are also many different view points to any topic in the Net.

    Spoon feeding is just another name for rapid learning. To cut the learning curve.

    In the Net or maybe CS forum, you sometimes get experts who REALLY know beyond the superficial and their tips on a certain topic is valuable.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 28th December 2008 at 05:48 PM.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Why so negative?
    If one does not want to share knowledge then just shut up and let others who know share their knowledge with those who do not have it.

    Everybody is ignorant, only about different things.

    Sure, one can do Google search.
    But search engine is not faultless.
    There are also many different view points to any topic in the Net.

    Spoon feeding is just another name for rapid learning. To cut the learning curve.

    In the Net, you sometimes get experts who REALLY know beyond the superficial and their tips on a certain topic is valuable.

    Hey right! newbies who really ask (relevant, of course not asking what's ISO etc) questions are way much appreciated than those self-declared-I-know-alot smart a** who can spent time finding pics at mocking those newbies.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    it's been a couple of days since i last checked in with this thread, it seems i opened a floodgate.

    wakaowalao: i do not disagree with what you say but i'm really referring to those who tend to post questions which have been very commonly seen and repeated in this forum.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by fleaz View Post
    it's been a couple of days since i last checked in with this thread, it seems i opened a floodgate.

    wakaowalao: i do not disagree with what you say but i'm really referring to those who tend to post questions which have been very commonly seen and repeated in this forum.
    To you, it may be common, but to newbies it may not. I am also referring to those who can waste time mocking at newbies with pics to just shut up and don't answer at all. These attitude are much more degrading.

    Like what others and I have mentioned earlier, if you want them (newbies) to learn the hard way, don't answer to any of their you-think-is-common-questions and let them search their own.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    And speaking of common knowledge on leeching which I supposed you-should-know on copyrights. Do you have any single idea that you are not allowed to post pics NOT taken by you?

  18. #58

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Like what others and I have mentioned earlier, if you want them (newbies) to learn the hard way, don't answer to any of their you-think-is-common-questions and let them search their own.
    I never answer to any of those threads. I simply opened up this for discussion. Anyway I'm also a newbie and still trying to learn.

    It's fine that you don't see it as a nuisance that all the repeated threads are clogging up this forum. But I do. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    And speaking of common knowledge on leeching which I supposed you-should-know on copyrights. Do you have any single idea that you are not allowed to post pics NOT taken by you?
    I didn't quite realise this. Thanks for enlightening me.

    You didn't have to be that sacarstic with it. Is your attitude any better?

  20. #60

    Default Re: Spoonfeeding

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Like what others and I have mentioned earlier, if you want them (newbies) to learn the hard way, don't answer to any of their you-think-is-common-questions and let them search their own.
    that is true.

    but do you not realise that there are many messiahs who will entertain their request to be spoonfed?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •