Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: I hate backing up!!! :p

  1. #1

    Default I hate backing up!!! :p

    I hate backing up my stuffs!!!
    got one year worth of pictures to backup...

    SIAN!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I hate backing up my stuffs!!!
    got one year worth of pictures to backup...

    SIAN!!
    For me backing up is easy... I ask my children to do it. During school holidays is best time. 2 years back they even scanned thousands of negatives and photos for me too. Only thing I regret is not being able to convince them to take up photography.

    ../azul123

  3. #3

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    For me backing up is easy... I ask my children to do it. During school holidays is best time. 2 years back they even scanned thousands of negatives and photos for me too. Only thing I regret is not being able to convince them to take up photography.

    ../azul123
    how about me passing u my computer... I buy them Macdonalds

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    how about me passing u my computer... I buy them Macdonalds
    are u sure u really dun mind??....

  5. #5

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    why not get an OTG backup drive?

  6. #6
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    how about me passing u my computer... I buy them Macdonalds
    Sorry... family only.

    ../azul123

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    download rsync for win32 to do the backup.

    rsync is a file transfer program for Unix systems. rsync uses the "rsync algorithm" which provides a very fast method for bringing remote files into sync. It does this by sending just the differences in the files across the link, without requiring that both sets of files are present at one of the ends of the link beforehand.

    Some features of rsync include

    * can update whole directory trees and filesystems
    * optionally preserves symbolic links, hard links, file ownership, permissions, devices and times
    * requires no special privileges to install
    * internal pipelining reduces latency for multiple files
    * can use rsh, ssh or direct sockets as the transport
    * supports anonymous rsync which is ideal for mirroring

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    In Vista Ultimate, there's a backup and restore program that works fine. Its simple to use. Don't know how much easier it can get. Don't back up, loose everything in a blink of an eye. Best of luck.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I hate backing up my stuffs!!!
    got one year worth of pictures to backup...

    SIAN!!
    My friend told me everytime he burnt a DVD he gave himself a reward of
    sexual pleasure.

    He had not have a problem with backing up since then.

  10. #10
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    For me backing up is easy... I ask my children to do it. During school holidays is best time. 2 years back they even scanned thousands of negatives and photos for me too. Only thing I regret is not being able to convince them to take up photography.

    ../azul123
    I think if your kids did take up photography as you wanted, they will be too busy backing up theirs, shooting and fighting for more space in the PC to store their stuff, you will be back to square one like Nisa ...DIY...hahahahah...... plus spend more money on more HDDs, PCs and backup medias for the entire family.

  11. #11

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I hate backing up my stuffs!!!
    got one year worth of pictures to backup...

    SIAN!!
    Back them up as you go. I do it every day.

    Ok ok, I dont do it literally, the PC does it everyday.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  12. #12

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    are u sure u really dun mind??....
    Why would i mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    why not get an OTG backup drive?
    what's a OTG backup drive? I would like to keep a DVD copy of things...

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Sorry... family only.
    ../azul123
    Was happy for a few hours....

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    In Vista Ultimate, there's a backup and restore program that works fine. Its simple to use. Don't know how much easier it can get. Don't back up, loose everything in a blink of an eye. Best of luck.
    that's why i am backing up now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    My friend told me everytime he burnt a DVD he gave himself a reward of
    sexual pleasure.

    He had not have a problem with backing up since then.
    Errr no partner... self pleasure too boring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Back them up as you go. I do it every day.

    Ok ok, I dont do it literally, the PC does it everyday.
    Want to... got slightly lazy... after shot too much... :P

  13. #13
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I think if your kids did take up photography as you wanted, they will be too busy backing up theirs, shooting and fighting for more space in the PC to store their stuff, you will be back to square one like Nisa ...DIY...hahahahah...... plus spend more money on more HDDs, PCs and backup medias for the entire family.
    So, on hindsight... it's a blessing in disguise.

    ../azul123

  14. #14

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    what's a OTG backup drive? I would like to keep a DVD copy of things...
    some external hard drives come with a buttom for OTG (On The Go) backup. it works in tandem with a software (usually provided) so that you can keep various directories or folders in sync with one press of the button.

    of course, some initial setting up is required.

    but for DVD, unfortunately you have to do that manually.

  15. #15

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    some external hard drives come with a buttom for OTG (On The Go) backup. it works in tandem with a software (usually provided) so that you can keep various directories or folders in sync with one press of the button.

    of course, some initial setting up is required.

    but for DVD, unfortunately you have to do that manually.
    oh... i need to get one of those too... tiring... sian.

    yeah i am doing it slowly now... till april 07 only...

  16. #16

    Default Re: I hate backing up!!! :p

    it's that time of the year again.

    At the end of every year, I'll backup everything I shot in the year into 2 HDDs, so there is an exact copy of every file. Then I'll keep one in the office and the other one at home. In the past I used to burn DVDs but I figured that the time spent on burning the disks it is more worth my while to just pay abit more and save the tons of time.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •