Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    655

    Default 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Is there any way that i can convert this into an auto focus lens?
    A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    mmm....seriously doubt it

  3. #3

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Technically there is no way to convert a MF to AF. U need to install micro sensors and motors internally which is impossible. Even if it's technically possible its price wise to get it built it's better the get a AF 50mm .

    I enjoy manual focusing with mf lens just sometimes it a bit dark in the dslr viewfinder.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by RayTravis View Post
    Is there any way that i can convert this into an auto focus lens?
    If I am not wrong the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 is an AF lens.... right...

  5. #5

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    The most effective way I known, economically and technically, is to sell it and buy an auto focus one.
    Last edited by phan_vinh_nguyen; 25th December 2008 at 12:14 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by phan_vinh_nguyen View Post
    The most effective way I known, economically and technically, is to sell it and buy an auto focus one.
    Dung roi ! [yes]

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by phan_vinh_nguyen View Post
    The most effective way I known, economically and technically, is to sell it and buy an auto focus one.
    how true

  8. #8
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Nope.

    For interest of discussion, there used to be a TC-16A that adds limited AF functionality to the manual lens ( usually recommended for faster telephoto lenses ) but it was limited usage to a few camera bodies, or that it requires a modification of the converter inself.

    Easier and cheaper to get an AF copy instead.

    Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 25th December 2008 at 12:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Nope.

    For interest of discussion, there used to be a TC-16A that adds limited AF functionality to the manual lens ( usually recommended for faster telephoto lenses ) but it was limited usage to a few camera bodies, or that it requires a modification to the converter inself.

    Easier and cheaper to get an AF copy instead.

    Ryan
    haha, cool! Thanks for sharing!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Easier and cheaper to get an AF copy instead.
    Given the price of the lens... buying a AF copy is a better choice...

  11. #11
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    If I am not wrong the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 is an AF lens.... right...
    TS is a Nikon user . Probably referring to the old manual focusing 50mm prime.

    Ryan

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    655

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    thanks all..
    Will take note..!

    =D
    A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,209

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    TS is a Nikon user . Probably referring to the old manual focusing 50mm prime.

    Ryan
    Oh... i c......no wonder...

  14. #14

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Doubt so, I myself have one too.
    |EOS40D|17-55 2.8|50 1.4 Sigma|190 XPROB|
    flickr

  15. #15

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    Given the price of the lens... buying a AF copy is a better choice...
    beg to differ..

    $180 for a plastic AF lens? or $130 for a metal MF lens?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by IamJeFfy View Post
    beg to differ..

    $180 for a plastic AF lens? or $130 for a metal MF lens?
    I don't get you

    Why do so many people say metal is superior to plastic?

  17. #17

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    I don't get you

    Why do so many people say metal is superior to plastic?
    simply because metal will outlast plastic in almost every aspect, other than the weight itself?

  18. #18
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 50mm f1.8 manual focus lens

    The older manual focusing lens might feel to be much more robust in construct, but there are no serious complaints of the AF plasticky lenses feeling "cheap" or not working as it should be.

    As long as it works reliably, thats all I need. Manual focusing or AF is a matter of individual shooting choices.

    Ryan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •