Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

  1. #1

    Default Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    Hi,

    I just try out the Lambency Diffuser with my SB-600+D90,
    Notice that almost all my pix's subject hair top portion have an halo effect.

    Anyone encounter similar problem ?

    I'm suspecting either my flash is place too high (i use it wirelessly on a tripod),
    or the effects is cause by the bounce from ceiling.


    Tks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    Any images to show?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    Quote Originally Posted by *********** View Post
    Any images to show?
    OK:


  4. #4

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    oh she got a lot grey hair

    btw, bro, i thinking to buy that lambency....if u dont like, sell to me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    its called specular highlights, hair has a natural sheen which easily reflects light..

    the intensity of the highlight depends on the relative size of your light source, a small light source is much more intense over that small area and whatever direct reflections that come off the hair would be intense as well.. it isn't the light bouncing off the ceiling that causes the highlights, but the diffuser itself as it acts something like a bare bulb.. in this case, having the bare flash bouncing off the celing would control the specular highlights..

  6. #6

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    Quote Originally Posted by MrJelly View Post
    oh she got a lot grey hair

    btw, bro, i thinking to buy that lambency....if u dont like, sell to me.
    I'm learning to overcome it wor,
    instead of giving up.
    Anyway, i think there's a MassOrder from CSer ShutterCentral,
    you can get it from him.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    its called specular highlights, hair has a natural sheen which easily reflects light..

    the intensity of the highlight depends on the relative size of your light source, a small light source is much more intense over that small area and whatever direct reflections that come off the hair would be intense as well.. it isn't the light bouncing off the ceiling that causes the highlights, but the diffuser itself as it acts something like a bare bulb.. in this case, having the bare flash bouncing off the celing would control the specular highlights..
    Thanks Chan,
    If bouncing is not possible,
    Is there other option like adjusting the height of the speedlite ?
    I would like to prevent these halo and at the same time have nice catchlight.

    Rgds

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    the position of the light doesn't really matter, its the size of the light.. a softbox or umbrella would work here..or just a bounce card for that catchlight..
    Last edited by J-Chan; 25th December 2008 at 03:43 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    the position of the light doesn't really matter, its the size of the light.. a softbox or umbrella would work here..or just a bounce card for that catchlight..
    I guess position of the light plays a part. Reflection of the light always has an angle. So, if ur camera is in the path of reflected light, u may see the light.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    Quote Originally Posted by MrJelly View Post
    I guess position of the light plays a part. Reflection of the light always has an angle. So, if ur camera is in the path of reflected light, u may see the light.
    so...is there any way to prevent that with the lambency? Since the light source is so close to the lens, i don't think so

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lambency Diffuser causing halo effects

    the above pix,
    if i remember correctly,

    speedlite to subject abt 2m,
    camera to subject abt 3m,

    Will try to increase the speedlite & camera to abt 3-5m and see how.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •