Thread: A little advice for Newbie

Default A little advice for Newbie

Hello everyone,

Just join this forum, it is a great forum, hope to learn something from everyone.

Have been interested in photography for very long but never know where to start. Until now still using idiot-proof camera, would like to know how you guys start learning photography and reach the stage where you are now.

Care to share? Thank you.

Default Re: A little advice for Newbie

for me?

read and read and read,

ask and ask and ask,

shoot and shoot and shoot,

try again and again and again,
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

for me,about the same as catchlights

read and read and read as much as I can,at the same time shoot and experiment,so far,there are a lot of things that i understand,but also,like what catchlight said,don't know,ask around for explanations or look for simplified explanations from friends or CS,hope this helps,^^
    A wise man said, "Any available light is good light"

Read more!
    Shoot more!
    Post more!

This is becoming a mantra

read, read shoot, learn, watch, ask, experiment
    and PERSISTENCE you might develop your own style

Eg nightshots:
    Xmas season, go camp at orchard, setup tripod in the midst of the crowd and shoot, N. Year fireworks, readup, camp and shoot, tweak till you get it right, come back the next day and the next till you get it right. At least thats what I used to do.

I'm quite lucky actually.

I have a group of closely bonded bros who share the same system as me, so I just read up a bit and hangout with them. They are more than willing to share & show me the ropes. We had great fun shooting together too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Read and experiment with what you know and know the difference why one is better than the other. AND must be thick-skin to ask and learn from critiques

Nowadays easier to learn cos can post your photos for critique and also learn from others' postings.
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Have a thick skin when people criticise your photo, learn to listen not nice words but have a rock solid confidence that you WILL be better and you CAN do better.
    Also have a clear view that nobody is perfect including the critic (they can be wrong but you dont have to tell them that, just filter and ignore what you think not right).
    If someone knowledgable (and not just kind) told you your photo is nice, ask them what they think is nice, why they think is nice.

This way you learn what you have done right (remind yourself again and again) and you also learn what is not (remind yourself not to do that again).

For me eg: Crop to tight with original for example (not enough allowance - even when already using 10 Mpix camera). Need to learn to step back a bit or not to zoom too much. Somehow I still from time to time forget this, due to habit of trying to frame perfectly when using older digital camera.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Read more!
    Shoot more!
    Post more!

This is becoming a mantra
    Hahhaha...

Welcome to CS
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Wow, thank you for the generous sharing! Look like most of you follow almost the same formulae. Can I know what type of book do you read when you first started? Also what type of camera is good for newbie, not too expensive one, my favourite subject is food and nature.

Any advice? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fotofly View Post
    Wow, thank you for the generous sharing! Look like most of you follow almost the same formulae. Can I know what type of book do you read when you first started? Also what type of camera is good for newbie, not too expensive one, my favourite subject is food and nature.

Any advice? Thank you.
    Which book to read not important. First must understand technical aspect of photography - relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ISO, how focal len affect perspectives, etc. This is the easy part. Then comes the difficult part - composition. Lifelong learning.....

A good place to start...
    Last edited by two200; 24th December 2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Added link
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Quote Originally Posted by two200 View Post
    Which book to read not important. First must understand technical aspect of photography - relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ISO, how focal len affect perspectives, etc. This is the easy part. Then comes the difficult part - composition. Lifelong learning.....
    For some people it's the other way around. Have a friend who has hardly any technical knowledge about taking pictures. She doesn't bother much about focal length and aperture - but she has a natural talent for composition. I'm sure there are more of these people here in CS.
    Both comes together: composition and the technical aspects of how to take the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    For some people it's the other way around. Have a friend who has hardly any technical knowledge about taking pictures. She doesn't bother much about focal length and aperture - but she has a natural talent for composition. I'm sure there are more of these people here in CS.
    Both comes together: composition and the technical aspects of how to take the pictures.
    Those who are blessed with natural talent for composition are truely blessed, because it is such an art, something abstract that is very hard to describe. You know you get it right when you see it but just cannot pin any rules to it. Wish I am as lucky
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Be your own's most critical critique. And remember to try something new each time.

Ryan

Ever tried ever failed. Try again, failed again failed better....

welcome to CS
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto