Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: a new lense or telecope

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    569

    Default a new lense or telecope

    which one is better a 18-200 lense or 1.4X telescope?

  2. #2

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    I think you meant the 1.4X teleconverter? Its to be paired with which lens?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    569

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    nikon lens

  4. #4

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by kitaro9202 View Post
    nikon lens
    I meant which specific lens, cause different lens have different amount of deterioration when paired with a teleconveter. And perhaps you can let the others know what you intend to shoot.

    However, I'm not a nikon user, so I can't say much on the performance of the lens of your choice.
    Last edited by ahbian; 24th December 2008 at 06:59 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    and..another thing to add.

    Whatever lens you currently have, i bet the 18-200VR'll be more flexible in terms of zoom range

  6. #6

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Err... if you purchase the 1.4, what are you gonna pair it with?

  7. #7
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    and..another thing to add.

    Whatever lens you currently have, i bet the 18-200VR'll be more flexible in terms of zoom range
    Maybe TS is more interested in supertelephoto lens like 80-400 or 200-400
    If TS didnt mention he is using a nikon lens, then i bet the 18-270VC'll be more flexible in terms of zoom range haha

    On a serious note, TS, please tell us exactly which lens you have. Please also understand that a 1.4x teleconverter, is something you place in between the lens and the camera body.
    A 1.4x teleconverter might degrade image quality to some extent, and it make your lens slower by 1 stop.
    The best things in life are free.

  8. #8

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Get then 1.4X telecope, mount it, and start shooting. It will be a whole new experience.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    can a teleconvertor work on 18-200?
    D3s, N24-70, N70-200 VR2, 85 1.4G, SB700, SB910

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by wuminlee View Post
    can a teleconvertor work on 18-200?
    theoretically, yes.

    practically, no

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    big tree town
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by kitaro9202 View Post
    which one is better a 18-200 lense or 1.4X telescope?
    both have different uses. do u know what u are asking actually?
    cameras are not made of tofu

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tiong Bahru
    Posts
    367

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    so which lens can a 1.4x TC work on?
    D3s, N24-70, N70-200 VR2, 85 1.4G, SB700, SB910

  13. #13

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    I have this feeling TS means a real telescope. But I thought real telescopes start at 40X onwards? I don't understand how they rate it anyway. Anyway there are ways to adapt telescopes and mount to the lens... gives pretty good range. Like a 600 dollars telescope can produce the power of a 400mm lens. IQ wise... not sure. =)
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by wuminlee View Post
    so which lens can a 1.4x TC work on?
    mmm...any lens of the same mount? i.e- a Nikon mount TC + a Nikon lens

    However, many zoom lenses don't have outstanding IQ. Furthermore, they aren't fast to begin with. So, when you add a TC, be aware of the impending poor IQ and trouble AF-ing

  15. #15

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    mmm...any lens of the same mount? i.e- a Nikon mount TC + a Nikon lens

    However, many zoom lenses don't have outstanding IQ. Furthermore, they aren't fast to begin with. So, when you add a TC, be aware of the impending poor IQ and trouble AF-ing
    D90 . AF 50mm f/1.8 .Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 . Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 . Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro

    Its very curious how you don't own a TC Trent =) All the fast lenses!
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    D90 . AF 50mm f/1.8 .Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 . Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 . Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro

    Its very curious how you don't own a TC Trent =) All the fast lenses!
    haha, i know! Been wanting to get one!

    But i can't find a TC that works on Sigma & Nikon lenses
    (guess i'll just get a Sigma TC )

  17. #17
    Member gymak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Far North
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    I have this feeling TS means a real telescope. But I thought real telescopes start at 40X onwards? I don't understand how they rate it anyway. Anyway there are ways to adapt telescopes and mount to the lens... gives pretty good range. Like a 600 dollars telescope can produce the power of a 400mm lens. IQ wise... not sure. =)
    Surely there is a way. Or else how NASA takes photos? And usually telescopes have very good IQ. Imagine having sharp pictures of Jupiter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    haha, i know! Been wanting to get one!

    But i can't find a TC that works on Sigma & Nikon lenses
    (guess i'll just get a Sigma TC )
    Simple, convert your Sigma lenses to Nikkor. Direct conversion will do
    E.g. AF-S VR 70-200 f2.8 and AF-S VR 105 f2.8 Micro.
    Done!
    The best things in life are free.

  18. #18

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Depends on what you want to shoot. If you want something flexible and dont want to bring the telescope around with you, PLS go for the 18-200mm VRII.

    If you want to take photo of stars and all that, get a proper telescope with a mount for your camera.

    IQ of telescopes are good, most have a focal length of around 900mm (+- 200mm). The only problem is the aperture, no way to control.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Get then 1.4X telecope, mount it, and start shooting. It will be a whole new experience.
    You are cruel man!!! .........
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore, east-ish
    Posts
    2,291

    Default Re: a new lense or telecope

    Quote Originally Posted by gymak90 View Post
    Simple, convert your Sigma lenses to Nikkor. Direct conversion will do
    E.g. AF-S VR 70-200 f2.8 and AF-S VR 105 f2.8 Micro.
    Done!
    hmm...not to mention a nikkor TC costs a few hundred more than a sigma TC

    though, it'll take a few years for me save up that sum, i'll do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •