Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unpleasant Buying Experience

vince123123
    Guests

u mean TCW provides this kind of service? ho wmuch does it cost? this sounds similar to AA's vehicle inspection service they conduct before pple buy second hand cars.

how comprehensive is TCW's review? what do they check for and what do they report?

Quote Originally Posted by Wryer
    My suggestion: for expensive stuff like lens, please do go down to service centre or TCW to allow them to quick check on the lens before you purchase the lens. Whats some bucks compared to the hundreds we are paying for the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    u mean TCW provides this kind of service? ho wmuch does it cost? this sounds similar to AA's vehicle inspection service they conduct before pple buy second hand cars.

how comprehensive is TCW's review? what do they check for and what do they report?

I've never tried it before. They are a repair shop, so i assumed that they do such maintanence..
    But i believe they have the expertise, and if you have the money, i don't see why they want to reject us.

But of course, going to the service center might be better!

the lens became faulty while in your possession, not before, as attested by your successful usage in the first 2 or 3 days. it's definitely tough luck, but unless you can prove that the lens was faulty prior to the transaction, it wouldn't be right for you to try to claim anything from the seller in question.

unhappy/unlucky experience, yes, and i'm sure most of us will symphatise, but to call it unfair is a tad too much.

one can't expect a warranty on a product bought used at a price much lower than new.that's the risk we have to take.
    To ask a seller to split the repair cost doesn't sounds right to me..
    what if the seller ask u to pay him of wad u could saved on a new purchase?

if u wanna avoid unhappy experiences buying used,then it is best to buy new with warranty.

2cts

As the previous posters have said, you pay your moneys, you take yer chances like everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by Wryer
    Just IMO.
    second hand market is really a risky business. The seller and buyer truly know that the lens was in perfect condition when he sold to the buyer. But if the lens crank up after 3 days, i feel that asking the seller to make any form of compensation is unfair to the seller.

*i am assuming the lens to be functional at time of trade

Imagine this scenario, some sellers need urgent cash, and after selling the lens, they immediately run to the hospital to save someone's life. After a few days, sudddenly, the buyer called up and said that the lens is faulty and wants a refund. Thats pretty scary IMO.

Maybe a more realistic scenario, we CS-ers often sell lens to buy new lens. Can u imagine, we happily sold our lens, went straight to CP/AP/MS and purchase a new lens. However, sometime later, the buyer of the lens called and wants a refund. Where are we gonna find the money? and as you know lens are not cheap stuff.

And before we want to question the integrity of the seller, in what position are we to judge that lens is not functional at the time of trade?

IMO, as long as the lens is fully functional during the time of trade, any form of compensation is unfair to the seller. Again, im assuming the lens to be in tip-top functional condition at point of trade.

My suggestion: for expensive stuff like lens, please do go down to service centre or TCW to allow them to quick check on the lens before you purchase the lens. Whats some bucks compared to the hundreds we are paying for the lens?

But of course, if the seller is really dishonest, it should not be condemn.

My post is not directed at anyone, just my view on the 2nd hand market.

Cheers!

Regards

Well said, Bro!

As a buyer, do proper checking on the transaction day.
    If you are happy with it, buy it and bear all the damage risk, since you would have checked before. If not happy, just tell the seller NO.

If you want peace of mind, simply buy a new one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12