Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    ya hor. no cheap, i wonder how will this incident have on the tourists who were turned away. imagine go holiday then major attraction close. sure make noise wan.
    I can't imagine that the ferris wheel really pulls tourists to Singapore. It's more like one of those things you might just take along if you're here anyway. S'pore doesn't become more or less attractive just because you see it from an elevated perspective for a few minutes. The more interesting things for tourists are quaint ethnic/cultural things in the streets, and for a elevated viewpoint, there's always Mount Faber (free, and in greener/nicer surroundings).

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    This sounds a lot like paper top talk solder...

I dun tink there's any international standards for rescue rope... the strength of the rope is proportional to the diameter/circumference. You wan the poor fella scaling the flyer to carry how thick a rope to reach the capsule?

Also, is there a need to simultaneous rescue? Note that the stranded passengers are not in critically dangerously situation... why put them in higher risk situation?
    The strength of rope is dependant on the material used to make the rope and not so much on the diameter/circumference. I have NOT suggested that a person should carry a thick rope just for the sake of carrying a thick rope. A rescurer should carry a rope that meets specific requirements of the particular situation. What I have suggested is winching a rope from a helicopter to rescue people. If there weren't any international standards for ropes, any ruputable rescue agency would be using any rope that any tom, dick or henry has made, but you don't see that happening in the real world. Which rescue agency would risk its reputation and safety of its customers right?

It was reported that there were people who were people who were facing breathing dificulties. This is a critically dangerous situation where a person could die just from the lack of oxygen and heat stroke.

If you factor all those environmental conditions, it's actually better to focus on recovering the wheel's operation...

I'm just surprised that the design of the flyer did not cater for a total black-out scenario... at least have some back up forced ventilation lah... it's in tropical Sg leh... not temperate london.

*edit* or at least design should cater redundancy for catastrophic single point failure.
    It is quite clear that you have not been involved in any rescue and/or safety operations and do not know what you, yourself are talking about. Perhaps you should refrain from making incorrect remarks on things that you do not know of.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    I can't imagine that the ferris wheel really pulls tourists to Singapore. It's more like one of those things you might just take along if you're here anyway. S'pore doesn't become more or less attractive just because you see it from an elevated perspective for a few minutes. The more interesting things for tourists are quaint ethnic/cultural things in the streets, and for a elevated viewpoint, there's always Mount Faber (free, and in greener/nicer surroundings).
    tourist attraction are under STB, wad we say dun count de...

Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    The strength of rope is dependant on the material used to make the rope and not so much on the diameter/circumference. I have NOT suggested that a person should carry a thick rope just for the sake of carrying a thick rope. A rescurer should carry a rope that meets specific requirements of the particular situation. What I have suggested is winching a rope from a helicopter to rescue people. If there weren't any international standards for ropes, any ruputable rescue agency would be using any rope that any tom, dick or henry has made, but you don't see that happening in the real world. Which rescue agency would risk its reputation and safety of its customers right?

It was reported that there were people who were people who were facing breathing dificulties. This is a critically dangerous situation where a person could die just from the lack of oxygen and heat stroke.

It is quite clear that you have not been involved in any rescue and/or safety operations and do not know what you, yourself are talking about. Perhaps you should refrain from making incorrect remarks on things that you do not know of.
    Umm... Actually, if you were to be any more involved, you'd be the heli crew.

Firstly, my apologies for my mistake in the previous reply, cuz heli uses steel cables for winching and the cable strength IS poportional to it's size (cuz we don't use exotic materials here).

Secondly, I'm involved as such I'm curious when you mentioned international safety standards to be met. If you do know of any international rope/cable safety standards, pls do share. I am very interested to know and benchmark.

Regarding people feeling unwell during that incident. I tot I've covered it in my last post. It's a design issue that did not cater for forced ventilation. Even so, no lives are at risk compared to risky heli evac.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Umm... Actually, if you were to be any more involved, you'd be the heli crew.

Firstly, my apologies for my mistake in the previous reply, cuz heli uses steel cables for winching and the cable strength IS poportional to it's size (cuz we don't use exotic materials here).

Secondly, I'm involved as such I'm curious when you mentioned international safety standards to be met. If you do know of any international rope/cable safety standards, pls do share. I am very interested to know and benchmark.

Regarding people feeling unwell during that incident. I tot I've covered it in my last post. It's a design issue that did not cater for forced ventilation. Even so, no lives are at risk compared to risky heli evac.
    i tot news crew most involved?

mountaineers or rock climbers use ropes that meet certain load bearing limits. standards aside they're different from those use by sea sports, which are mostly nylon variate. not sure about exotic materials, but some of my shirts can be woh. cotton, rayon, polyester, bamboo fibre, micro fibre, elastane, acrylic, etc. very exotic liao.

as for wenching people down, they were ** not wearing helmets...

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh, so if i need to explain to you what i meant, i have to find some equivalent example where another piece of machinery stopped?

spare us already with your strawman argument, my point WAS NOT that 9-11 was like the singapore flyer stopping. i'm sure you know that.

1) No need to bring up your London wheel experience, people will just laugh at you.

2) 911 is not your point. So your point is what? Is it the stoppage of the wheel has unites all Singaporeans and rekindle the national spirits?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    btw mr smartie need i remind u that u already made a fool of yourself once by talking about american issues. do you really want to go down that road yet again?
    I do not need reminder

" I will quit kopitiam, it is not worth my time here. This is my last post."

i shudder to think The Flyer loosing $$$ during the festive peak period. couple that with the problometic & short history, things dun look too rosy next year. i wonder if a big & sustain drop in visitors will force it to charge much less & have the no water rule done away with.

wow. to even draw the comparison... America wasn't positive. look at the mess that followed. It became more insular and paranoid. It started a pointless and losing war, threw away all the good will that it had with the rest of the world amongst many things. but for you to just insult the memory of not just those who died in the initial attacks but the aftermath. by comparing it to this incident. yes here's your positive patriotism right here. typically singaporean to compare yourself to the rest of the world and say u are better than it. YOU TRULY HAVE SUNK TO A BRAND NEW LOW.
    I have to agree with you on the American war. They went to war because they feel insecure and not because they are feeling positive. And to find a reason to start the war, they lied about WMD.

But I am not surprise when he says Americans are positive about the episode.
    He like to bring in America and London and distance places during discussions, thinking people are living within the four walls of Singapore, and cannot challenge his points.
    But there are always people who are more informed and well traveled.
    He stressed that the London Wheel also broke down before.
    So...??? Does that means Singapore wheel should also break down?
    When people highlighted the contingency plans of the London's wheel, silence immediately struck the clowning mind.

u got a point there. since its soo difficult why have it? soo expensive somemore leh. did it come with at least 1year guarantee? for that price, i think we've got a lemon!
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    er..

if our forefathers had that mindset, we would still be a fishing village, i would be slicing out fish guts right now.. or i might not even exist
    That is exactly the mindset of your forefathers. so that you are not slicing out fish guts right now.
    Buying into Merrill Lynch and Citibank.Be prepared to go fishing.
    Obama best sum it all up.
    " Runaway greed and fat cats"
    Last edited by Silence Sky; 28th December 2008 at 01:01 AM.

i shudder to think The Flyer loosing $$$ during the festive peak period. couple that with the problometic & short history, things dun look too rosy next year. i wonder if a big & sustain drop in visitors will force it to charge much less & have the no water rule done away with.
    i don't think the flyer has been a big money maker anyway.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

I think the London Eye is probably the best looking out of all the wheels that I've seen. Did you know that it was just a temporary project that was supposed to be moved to another site? It got incredibly popular which was why it was never moved and became a permanent fixture along the river Thames.

Sorry for going a little off topic!
    Last edited by MRSAMO; 28th December 2008 at 03:08 AM.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

i see someone is finally back

always great to have a break, hope you took good photographs while you were away..

wishing you many breaks ahead..
    Last edited by night86mare; 28th December 2008 at 05:59 AM.

Now seems like a great time to go since everyone will shying away from it. No more pesky kids running around! Yeahh!

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    Now seems like a great time to go since everyone will shying away from it. No more pesky kids running around! Yeahh!
    isn't the darn thing closed till the beginning of next year anyway?

on a separate note. I like how all the papers I've read have mentioned about the London Eye breaking down as well. blatant attempt in diffusing responsibility and fault by attributing such incidences as "not isolated". typical PR spin.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 28th December 2008 at 02:15 PM.
    chicken fight!

The Flyer will take a long time to break even with such incidents occuring. imagine the well heeled needing to pee "in public" view. i dun think they'll want any of these nonsense!

The Flyer will take a long time to break even with such incidents occuring.
    Strictly speaking, that should not be our concern... it's a private enterprise. They won't share any profits with the public either. I only would feel regret for people whose jobs may be affected.

In a way, a failure could be good for Singapore. It might infuse a healthy dose of humility and put a damper to the unsustainable, megalomaniac building frenzy that consumes Singapore's scarce land resources at an alarming rate.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Strictly speaking, that should not be our concern... it's a private enterprise. They won't share any profits with the public either. I only would feel regret for people whose jobs may be affected.

In a way, a failure could be good for Singapore. It might infuse a healthy dose of humility and put a damper to the unsustainable, megalomaniac building frenzy that consumes Singapore's scarce land resources at an alarming rate.
    i dun think the staff will stay for long, since police were called in to investigate. i dun see police being called in for most commercial mishaps, furthermore there is no immediate danger to the patrons.

yes i do think S'pore is building too many vanity projects too soon.

wow. to even draw the comparison... America wasn't positive. look at the mess that followed. It became more insular and paranoid. It started a pointless and losing war, threw away all the good will that it had with the rest of the world amongst many things. but for you to just insult the memory of not just those who died in the initial attacks but the aftermath. by comparing it to this incident. yes here's your positive patriotism right here. typically singaporean to compare yourself to the rest of the world and say u are better than it. YOU TRULY HAVE SUNK TO A BRAND NEW LOW.
    sunk like the titanic.
    I'm a cow with a camera

U are right. they are giving huge discount to Travel Agent.. as high as 25%!

So if you want a cheaper ride, see your travel agent!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3678910 LastLast