Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    9-11 is very different in nature, if u know the difference.
    oh, so if i need to explain to you what i meant, i have to find some equivalent example where another piece of machinery stopped?

spare us already with your strawman argument, my point WAS NOT that 9-11 was like the singapore flyer stopping. i'm sure you know that.
    Last edited by night86mare; 26th December 2008 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    oh, so if i need to explain to you what i meant, i have to find some equivalent example where another piece of machinery stopped?

spare us already with your strawman argument, my point WAS NOT that 9-11 was like the singapore flyer stopping. i'm sure you're not that spastic.
    for u to bring 9-11 in as a comparison shows the level of grasp u have of the issue. clearly spelt out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    The SCDF personnel invovled in the recent singapore flyer were mainly DART personnel who are regulars who have been with the SCDF for more than 2 years. There are no NSF personnel in DART. Basically in layman terms the elite of the SCDF go into DART.

DART stands for Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team

No one is saying that SCDF is incompetent, but in this scenario, the RSAF are better equipt with more experience to handle the situation.
    Have u considered that the wheel and heli evac 8 characters no match?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

The SCDF personnel invovled in the recent singapore flyer were mainly DART personnel who are regulars who have been with the SCDF for more than 2 years. There are no NSF personnel in DART. Basically in layman terms the elite of the SCDF go into DART.

DART stands for Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team

No one is saying that SCDF is incompetent, but in this scenario, the RSAF are better equipt with more experience to handle the situation.
    Good insight you have. But whether SAF or RSAF, it has to depend on the chief in charge of the situation. Since scdf was in charge, they would unlikely activate the army unless they really need to (ie terrorism).

I concur with your point about training on rescue drills. Just look at the structure. It is not easy at all. Fortunately, there was no death in this situation.

SF ought to invite the engineers behind this wheel to find more solutions to react to such situations. Budget should not be a consideration to compromise safety. If it aint good, shut it down completely.

Don't mean to go off topic a little but sore-eyez, are you a fan of Inuyasha?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Have u considered that the wheel and heli evac 8 characters no match?
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

Just want to add that for international search and rescue operations, the ropes used are supposed to support a min of 2-4 persons. Also its usually the norm for a rescurer to go with the rescuee to prevent potential injuries such as injuring body parts such as the head against the cabin in the worst case scenario and preventing the rope from being entangled. Ropes should also meet international safety standards and I'm quite doubtful of the ropes used by Dive Marine as only 1 person could be lifted at a time. Also ropes used by the RSAF are generally longer, and can withstand greater loads and must meet internal and international safety requirements and meet certain standards.

The way that Singapore Flyer is designed is that you are only able to open the doors from outside or climb out through the top sharf. There are also insufficient anchor points. It is unproven and untested that the SF anchor points can support huge loads of weight. If you add the wind factor, cloud cover, high altitude levels, body conditioning and the points mentioned in the above few posts etc etc the odds are better for a RSAF rescue as compared to one by the SCDF or even Dive Marine.

Arrow Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

You only call the SAF when it is the last line of defence and rescue.

This is not a terrorism or major accident and the SCDF is in charge of it just like finding of people who drown who are now tasked with the SCDF.

Unless there is no expertise, it'll be outsourced like the raising of the Kursk by a consortium of Mammoet Smit.
    Last edited by xtemujin; 26th December 2008 at 07:01 PM.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Just want to add that for international search and rescue operations, the ropes used are supposed to support a min of 2-4 persons. Also its usually the norm for a rescurer to go with the rescuee to prevent potential injuries such as injuring body parts such as the head against the cabin in the worst case scenario and preventing the rope from being entangled. Ropes should also meet international safety standards and I'm quite doubtful of the ropes used by Dive Marine as only 1 person could be lifted at a time. Also ropes used by the RSAF are generally longer, and can withstand greater loads and must meet internal and international safety requirements and meet certain standards.
    This sounds a lot like paper top talk solder...

I dun tink there's any international standards for rescue rope... the strength of the rope is proportional to the diameter/circumference. You wan the poor fella scaling the flyer to carry how thick a rope to reach the capsule?

Also, is there a need to simultaneous rescue? Note that the stranded passengers are not in critically dangerously situation... why put them in higher risk situation?

The way that Singapore Flyer is designed is that you are only able to open the doors from outside or climb out through the top sharf. There are also insufficient anchor points. It is unproven and untested that the SF anchor points can support huge loads of weight. If you add the wind factor, cloud cover, high altitude levels, body conditioning and the points mentioned in the above few posts etc etc the odds are better for a RSAF rescue as compared to one by the SCDF or even Dive Marine.
    If you factor all those environmental conditions, it's actually better to focus on recovering the wheel's operation...

I'm just surprised that the design of the flyer did not cater for a total black-out scenario... at least have some back up forced ventilation lah... it's in tropical Sg leh... not temperate london.

*edit* or at least design should cater redundancy for catastrophic single point failure.
    Last edited by CYRN; 26th December 2008 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    You only call the SAF when it is the last line of defence and rescue.

This is not a terrorism or major accident and the SCDF is in charge of it just like finding of people who drown who are now tasked with the SCDF.

Unless there is no expertise, it'll be outsourced like the raising of the Kursk by a consortium of Mammoet Smit.
    Actually RSAF was called for the Cable car incident... but that time, lives are at stake and only heli can reach the cable cars.

please look up the definition of

"negativity"

and "national spirit"

9-11 was not positive news, but america was positive and showed great national spirit

p.s. stop trailing me like my pet dog, i don't need one, prefer cats
    wow. to even draw the comparison... America wasn't positive. look at the mess that followed. It became more insular and paranoid. It started a pointless and losing war, threw away all the good will that it had with the rest of the world amongst many things. but for you to just insult the memory of not just those who died in the initial attacks but the aftermath. by comparing it to this incident. yes here's your positive patriotism right here. typically singaporean to compare yourself to the rest of the world and say u are better than it. YOU TRULY HAVE SUNK TO A BRAND NEW LOW.
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    wow. to even draw the comparison... America wasn't positive. look at the mess that followed. It became more insular and paranoid. It started a pointless and losing war, threw away all the good will that it had with the rest of the world amongst many things. but for you to just insult the memory of not just those who died in the initial attacks but the aftermath. by comparing it to this incident. yes here's your positive patriotism right here. typically singaporean to compare yourself to the rest of the world and say u are better than it. YOU TRULY HAVE SUNK TO A BRAND NEW LOW.
    oh, now you are an expert on american affairs.. i suspect you live the american way of life! do you supersize yourself too?

come beat more dead horses!

oh, now you are an expert on american affairs.. i suspect you live the american way of life! do you supersize yourself too?

come beat more dead horses!
    all i have to say is MR smart alec if you're so smart why do you keep coming up with all these bone headed examples to argue ur point? or does foot in mouth disease come part and parcel with your rafflesian experience? o and wow a fat joke. how drole. btw mr smartie need i remind u that u already made a fool of yourself once by talking about american issues. do you really want to go down that road yet again?
    Last edited by TheQuestion; 26th December 2008 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thequestion View Post
    all i have to say is mr smart alec if you're so smart why do you keep coming up with all these bone headed examples to argue ur point?
    why so emo

take life easier, later get heart attack..
    Last edited by night86mare; 26th December 2008 at 10:08 PM.

why so emo

take life easier, later get heart attack..
    right. i'm not the one who went and called someone a dog. and wow another fat joke. what's next? fart jokes?

cool down guys...

its only a wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    cool down guys...

its only a wheel.
    if you know this persona, to him, it's a lot more than a wheel

it involves his ego, his life, his blood. i'm outta here. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    cool down guys...

its only a wheel.
    this has gone beyond a simple wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    this has gone beyond a simple wheel.
    its simply $240,000,000 oni.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    its simply $240,000,000 oni.
    wah! even in peanut currency it's still 4000 peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    wah! even in peanut currency it's still 4000 peanuts
    ya hor. no cheap, i wonder how will this incident have on the tourists who were turned away. imagine go holiday then major attraction close. sure make noise wan.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast