Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 183

Thread: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

  1. #101

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    Just read in today's paper that the London Eye has emergency water, food, blanket and toilet facilities in each capsule and the worst case was 1 hour of stuck time. It also has its own power generator, can freely rotate if needed and some sort of rope rescue system. Our Singapore flyer only has an intercom.

    Worst, an intercom with no information when tourists were wondering what happened. The staff were probably running around to get approval for "official" statement. Even the news on mediacorp was appealing to public for pictures and / or video.

    Btw, did you notice the rescuer in the picture in today's newspaper does not seem to be an SCDF person?
    Maybe cut cost . I am surprised they do not really have a proper incident management plan for this. The London Eye at least have something to tide over the period when you are stuck in the capsule. The rescuer who lower down the casualty seem more of a private company engage in rope scaling.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    Just read in today's paper that the London Eye has emergency water, food, blanket and toilet facilities in each capsule and the worst case was 1 hour of stuck time. It also has its own power generator, can freely rotate if needed and some sort of rope rescue system. Our Singapore flyer only has an intercom.

    Worst, an intercom with no information when tourists were wondering what happened. The staff were probably running around to get approval for "official" statement. Even the news on mediacorp was appealing to public for pictures and / or video.

    Btw, did you notice the rescuer in the picture in today's newspaper does not seem to be an SCDF person?
    It's called a contingency plan (which ranges from rare to 'unheard of' here).

    Fire in the control room - surely they have fire suppression or at least some form of backup control system? I know they have redundant drive units (6 total, 3 needed) but this sounds like relying on the technology to take care of everything. I have learned, and watched many people learn the hard way that you cannot always trust the technology. People seem to look at components, and not at the system as a whole. They make key systems redundant but they also forget that you can lose ALL your systems due to a single point of failure (in this case sounds like electrical power).

    Hence the need also for a backup plan that does not rely on the technology. Low tech rope rescue or ability to send supplies up, INCLUDING chemical toilets, is important. Appears they did not even have supplies on the ground to send up judging by the interviews on CNA of distressed passengers being forced to use plastic bags.

    Truly, we live too sheltered lives in our little island. Perhaps I am lucky in the sense that my job forces me to plan for the absolute worst case scenarios imaginable that I think of such contingencies...

    I know what my contingency plan will be if they can't come up with one. Two garbage bags (which are normally used as emergency raincoats but any NSMan will tell you, have infinite other uses), a tripod, spare battery for the camera cellphone, and a lot of rope. Then I will take the Flyer "Extra value ride - 7 hours instead of half an hour!"

  3. #103

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    joke of the year!
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    manz, now S'pore Fly(erh) must hand out poop-tubes & privacy pop-up tents for every pax. even 4hrs under strong mid-day sun can cause dehydration, not to mention possible heat stroke!!

    the most possible reason for the looong delay must be to prevent a nation embrassment.

    "eh, how arh boss?"

  5. #105
    Member TheQuestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PenguinVille.
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    It's called a contingency plan (which ranges from rare to 'unheard of' here).

    Fire in the control room - surely they have fire suppression or at least some form of backup control system? I know they have redundant drive units (6 total, 3 needed) but this sounds like relying on the technology to take care of everything. I have learned, and watched many people learn the hard way that you cannot always trust the technology. People seem to look at components, and not at the system as a whole. They make key systems redundant but they also forget that you can lose ALL your systems due to a single point of failure (in this case sounds like electrical power).

    Hence the need also for a backup plan that does not rely on the technology. Low tech rope rescue or ability to send supplies up, INCLUDING chemical toilets, is important. Appears they did not even have supplies on the ground to send up judging by the interviews on CNA of distressed passengers being forced to use plastic bags.

    Truly, we live too sheltered lives in our little island. Perhaps I am lucky in the sense that my job forces me to plan for the absolute worst case scenarios imaginable that I think of such contingencies...

    I know what my contingency plan will be if they can't come up with one. Two garbage bags (which are normally used as emergency raincoats but any NSMan will tell you, have infinite other uses), a tripod, spare battery for the camera cellphone, and a lot of rope. Then I will take the Flyer "Extra value ride - 7 hours instead of half an hour!"
    that's the land of bond ma...here...its you know what
    Opinions are like A-holes. Everyone's got one.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    World news.
    hold it!!!!


    it is a marketting gimmick !!! it is a conspiracy !! it failed on purpose!! so the world will know!!! wow!! we got this highest flyer!!!!


    think about it, kids !!


    then people will come to singapore.


    tourisms...
    Last edited by ninelives; 24th December 2008 at 08:34 PM.
    Objection !!!

  7. #107

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    what if someone wants to release urine or waste during those hours ? imagine the horror of the stench in that fatal cabin 5 hours somemore

  8. #108

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    whee love negativity and the national spirit

    support singapore soccer for what?

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    what if someone wants to release urine or waste during those hours ? imagine the horror of the stench in that fatal cabin 5 hours somemore
    maybe thatz the reason why its close for these few days, do thorough cleaning up!

  10. #110

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Wah, can take a whole series of sunset pics with the CBD as the foreground lor! I dun mind kena stuck there actually, but dun make me stuck at the lower part of the wheel thou.... But next time i take flyer will make sure i go toilet first....

    Woah but on a serious note, they only call the SCDF in at like 8pm or smth.... Then even SOC(those red coloured bus/van u see everywhere when mas selamat escape) oso activated.... Big operation seh.... But i dun understand why now become police case, apparantly the police issued an order to close the attraction temporarily.... I was thinking isn't that the job of the SCDF instead??

  11. #111

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    hold it!!!!


    it is a marketting gimmick !!! it is a conspiracy !! it failed on purpose!! so the world will know!!! wow!! we got this highest flyer!!!!


    think about it, kids !!


    then people will come to singapore.


    tourisms...
    Damn! You may be right!

  12. #112

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Isn't the ferris wheel a private enterprise? It would be their responsibility to have procedures and necessary equipment in place instead of just passing the buck to SCDF.
    Quote Originally Posted by lincolnchan View Post
    It is a private enterprise... I tot it was a German company...
    The Singapore flyer is currently operated by the Great Wheel coporation and is a joint venture between German engineering group Melchers Project Management and consulting firm Orient and Pacific Management.

    SCDF does charge for rescues for private operations like this. They also charge for fire fighting operations at oil refinaries. The same goes for the RSAF as well.

    Both the DART team of the SCDF and Dive Marine has virtually no experience in this height of matters(except for rescuing sucidal people from HDB blocks for SCDF). Dive Marine is a company that cleans windows and repairs boats, does building maintenance and are not a company that does rescue operations on a regular basis that is known internationally.

    The only people in singapore who have done this height of rescue and had this type of experience were the commandos and the super puma team from sembawang air base. (which has lifted thousands of people in more complicated operations and cruize ships and do whinching operations on almost a daily basis) Perhaps they should hire the personnel from the RSAF the next time who have been better trained in various scenarios like this and are better equipt.

    It is interesting to note that DART, RSAF and the commandos have NEVER had any training time at the flyer and have never been invited to do training to rescue trapped people at the flyer.

    I'm rather curious to know why they only informed the SCDF 3 hours after the incident happened.(which means they couldn't detect a fire for 3 hours?)

    More interestingly, there were no mechanical systems were ever built in place which is kinda stupid since Singapore is rather prone to frequent electrical disruptions. I wonder how Singapore Flyer could even give the contract to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in the first place as this is basic to safety operations. Hopefully no under-table money was involved.

    Finally, it was written in today's straits times that the 10 year old boy who was taken was forgotton, and that there were people who were breathless. This is very poor communication and decision making.

    I wonder what would happen if there were people who had heart attacks? How would we cope with a terriost attack at the flyer? The other ferries wheels around the world have medical defribrilators, medical staff, helicopters, and a good contingency plan on standby. There are also sufficient medical equipment in each cabin. We don't even have any in the cabins, welcome to Uniquely Singapore

  13. #113

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    The Singapore flyer is currently operated by ....
    Very interesting post. How do you know so much?

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovedo View Post
    kinda stupid since Singapore is rather prone to frequent electrical disruptions.
    hmm.....

  15. #115

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Lets not assume scdf are incompetent at will. By default, 995 will activate scdf and so they were tasked to take up the role to rescue. Do you think those nsf would like to scale the height if they have a chance not to? They didnt have a choice as it was a protocol.

    Lets see what scdf can come out with for the investigation. It is well known scdf lacks resources and talents to solve some unique rescue missions. I can only fault the management of SF for not incorporating a wholesome rescue plan for a SIMPLE failure such as an operation cessation. What if the structure cracked and was tilting, and a rescue would be needed to save the people in the cabins? Why didnt SF have rescue drills to simulate such a situation?

    As for the investigation, do not be too hopeful if scdf can find the fault if it was caused by a fire. scdf had failed in the assessment in some previous cases (ie the marina explosion).

    So, lets just hope the wheel will carry on and operate safely after the probe. No matter what, the SF is part of the IR and the show must go on.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    Very interesting post. How do you know so much?
    I just know

  17. #117

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Lets not assume scdf are incompetent at will. By default, 995 will activate scdf and so they were tasked to take up the role to rescue. Do you think those nsf would like to scale the height if they have a chance not to? They didnt have a choice as it was a protocol.

    The SCDF personnel invovled in the recent singapore flyer were mainly DART personnel who are regulars who have been with the SCDF for more than 2 years. There are no NSF personnel in DART. Basically in layman terms the elite of the SCDF go into DART.

    DART stands for Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team

    No one is saying that SCDF is incompetent, but in this scenario, the RSAF are better equipt with more experience to handle the situation.

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    whee love negativity and the national spirit
    u mean this is positive news to u?!!

  19. #119

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    u mean this is positive news to u?!!
    please look up the definition of

    "negativity"

    and "national spirit"

    9-11 was not positive news, but america was positive and showed great national spirit

    p.s. stop trailing me like my pet dog, i don't need one, prefer cats
    Last edited by night86mare; 26th December 2008 at 02:03 AM.

  20. #120
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    please look up the definition of

    "negativity"

    and "national spirit"

    9-11 was not positive news, but america was positive and showed great national spirit

    p.s. stop trailing me like my pet dog, i don't need one, prefer cats
    9-11 is very different in nature, if u know the difference.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •