Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

Default Re: Singapore Flyer stuck since this afternoon (now 9:05pm)

Quote Originally Posted by obfuscate View Post
    I am looking out my office window, it's 10.50pm, it ain't turning.
    This is bad

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    sorry i cant help it, since there was alot of good fengshui the wheel supposed to bring. that after "alittle" $$ was spend to reverse to wrong of rotation which was said to be bad fengshui...

to know that its not some space age technology like time travel, isn't it just too soon technical fault like this happening?
    my exact thoughts when i heard the news.. tot by reversing the wheel will bring in good fengshui. think only good for photogs up there to get the nice evening sky and long exposures. wonder any cser is stuck up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    I hope they are ok. No toilet, no water, no food. I believe it will get cold at the top of the wheel. I don't think can rappel down from the top. Main thing I couldn't believe is no failsafe!
    I can't believe they have no backup/rescue plan either. Especially after the CNA report saying 3rd time this happened.

I would be screwed SO fierce at work if I didn't have a backup plan for all the mission critical systems we run.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it is not easy engineering actually, you can't just say you resize the pasar malam ferris wheel and tada become singapore flyer or london eye

i think having technical faults are to be expected.
    u got a point there. since its soo difficult why have it? soo expensive somemore leh. did it come with at least 1year guarantee? for that price, i think we've got a lemon!

This seems to be the 3rd time. Hope no one has any medical condition. CNA reporting now.

i think having technical faults are to be expected.
    The State's Times claims the "fault" is a fire in the control room.

Technical faults do happen. The really embarrassing problem is that it takes six hours and likely much longer to evacuate people. Either the situation isn't well handled, or six+ hours are considered an acceptable evacuation time. Keep in mind that "stuck wheel" is probably the most common/obvious emergency scenario one could imagine. Neither option reflects particularly well on S'pore safety standards.

u got a point there. since its soo difficult why have it? soo expensive somemore leh. did it come with at least 1year guarantee? for that price, i think we've got a lemon!
    er..

if our forefathers had that mindset, we would still be a fishing village, i would be slicing out fish guts right now.. or i might not even exist

good one.. one has to take risks to move forward so to speak.. just that in this case the 'failure' is more obvious and potentially more embarassing.
    Kodak Easyshare C875
    flickr

So far 10 rescued. At this rate, it'll be the next day before the last passenger is rescued.

I can see the wheel moving now. It's 11.10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    The State's Times claims the "fault" is a fire in the control room.

Technical faults do happen. The really embarrassing problem is that it takes six hours and likely much longer to evacuate people. Either the situation isn't well handled, or six+ hours are considered an acceptable evacuation time. Keep in mind that "stuck wheel" is probably the most common/obvious emergency scenario one could imagine. Neither option reflects particularly well on S'pore safety standards.
    that is a fair statement

we can always do better.

Have all the people being evacuated yet? I couldn't turn on my tv now because the rest of the family is sleeping... really hope they are ok o_o"
    Light is His, Exposure is mine, Interpretation is yours.

er..

if our forefathers had that mindset, we would still be a fishing village, i would be slicing out fish guts right now.. or i might not even exist
    thatz the way u think... strange as the very person often use the word "feaseable"...

now that $$$ is spent i guess they have to say it is (of course).

Should be okay since the wheel is now turning. Now got many Tulan people, and fewer people will want to take the flyer with this bad publicity.

sad thing for singapore is airspace NOT OPEN TO PUBLIC and darn... no helicopters rescue = waste both our & their time....

on the fengsui thingy i think maybe some sloppy workmanship caused fengsui to somehow change? lol

Just glad it's moving now and the people will get off.

Emergency management doesn't appear to be one of Singapore's forte, I guess because there have been so few occasions where they get real life practise and experience. Also, it may highlight intrinsic policy making issues.

Anyone remembered Hotel New World and the Sentosa Cabel Car Disaster? Apparently, those were mis-managed as well, except in those instances, people died.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 23rd December 2008 at 11:20 PM.

thatz the way u think... strange as the very person often use the word "feaseable"...

now that $$$ is spent i guess they have to say it is (of course).
    there is feasible, and there is feasible

i am a pragmatic person, if i thought something not to be feasible , and people do it and it works, i will praise them. simple as that. why should i be ashamed of my previous views?

Yup, CNA also reported its turning now. Phew! Hope everyone is ok.

Yay! It is running already!

there is feasible, and there is feasible

i am a pragmatic person, if i thought something not to be feasible , and people do it and it works, i will praise them. simple as that. why should i be ashamed of my previous views?
    thanks for correcting my sub-standard english.

people do go ahead stuanchly with plans cos of ego. work it does but i wonder if now is really too early it failed to work.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast