Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Canon A40 arrives at Cathay Photo

  1. #21

    Default

    Originally posted by fcpga
    i mean in manual mode, there is only 2 aperture settings available?
    hahaz... yupz...

  2. #22

    Default

    Originally posted by weeguy


    hahaz... yupz...
    huh...oh ok...that's one major drawback then. But it's still a good price for such a camera.

  3. #23

    Default

    I find all windows are slightly out of focus. It could be due to the shallow DOP f2.8. Weeguy, can u reshoot with aperture set to f8 please? You will definitely need a tripod. Set focus to manual and set to infinity. It should turn out sharper. This will also test the noise level for long exposures.

    Other than that, the exposure and colour looks terrific. Very nice!

  4. #24

    Default

    wat does aperture setting means? Having more settings is better?

    Tweek, is A40 an improvement over A20 ?

  5. #25

    Default

    Originally posted by woonbock
    wat does aperture setting means? Having more settings is better?

    Tweek, is A40 an improvement over A20 ?
    aperture is the window that allows light into your camera, and being able to set the aperture size allows you to control the exposure and depth of field of the picture, among others. So if there are only 2 selectable aperture values in manual mode, the flexibility is more limited. But that doesn't mean it is not capable of taking good pictures.


    A40 is here to replace A20, so there definitely are improvements. A40 has manual mode, A20 doesn't. A40 has shutter speed up to 15s, A20 only 1s. A40 has selectable ISO, A20 doesn't. A40 has 3 focus points, A20 only a centre frame.

    Not to mention, A20 cost $700 (street) when it first came out, and A40 is now only $580!

  6. #26

    Default

    Originally posted by Tweek


    aperture is the window that allows light into your camera, and being able to set the aperture size allows you to control the exposure and depth of field of the picture, among others. So if there are only 2 selectable aperture values in manual mode, the flexibility is more limited. But that doesn't mean it is not capable of taking good pictures.


    A40 is here to replace A20, so there definitely are improvements. A40 has manual mode, A20 doesn't. A40 has shutter speed up to 15s, A20 only 1s. A40 has selectable ISO, A20 doesn't. A40 has 3 focus points, A20 only a centre frame.

    Not to mention, A20 cost $700 (street) when it first came out, and A40 is now only $580!
    Exactly, and i just gotten news in an oversea site that DELL.com is selling Ixus V2 for US$290.... i tink Canon now are slashing down their prices

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Guess the price has come down due to competition with cameras like Minolta 304.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  8. #28

    Default

    They just gotten their V2 off their catalog though, will find out more

  9. #29

    Default

    A40 got video recording with voice somemore, got low light autofocus assist lamp, night shot with NR, guess it's the best cheap camera around that can take good photos

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Behind a lens
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    weeguy, did you do a hotpixel check? I know some Oly 2040 and 3040 ahve hotpix problem.

    If free, do and let us know.

    P.s. With this camera out, think A20 will be below $500?

  11. #31
    fcpga
    Guests

    Default

    I don't think it has NR does it?

  12. #32

    Default

    Originally posted by fcpga
    I don't think it has NR does it?
    Even if it doesn't the sample shot seem quite good at 8 sec exposure. Don't see any hot pixel problem either.

  13. #33

    Default

    Originally posted by fcpga
    I don't think it has NR does it?
    it has NR...and pretty good NR too.

    even my old A20 had NR.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    the night shot is really impressive. Clean and little noise
    Canon Lover :)

  15. #35
    fcpga
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by Tweek


    it has NR...and pretty good NR too.

    even my old A20 had NR.
    then if it has

    Aperture Priority
    Shutter Priority
    Manual full sets of aperture control

    then its the best perfect camera for 2.1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •