Thread: Langkawi sunset

Default Langkawi sunset

Shutter: 1/60
    Aperture f/5.0
    Lens: Canon 50mm F/1.8
    ISO: 100
    Body: canon 400d

I am curious what people think about the technical aspects and the composition. I feel like maybe there should be a little bit cut off the top but I didn't want to break the clouds.

To be completely blunt, part of me feels like this is a really great shot and i'm mostly here for the reality check. So, what do people think? Can it be improved? I especially liked the ground and the tree being completely underexposed giving a black shadow against the colorful sky. Any thoughts? is that just kind of silly and gimicky?

Thanks a lot, max

I've put up a scaled down image. The full image is available here: http://homepage.mac.com/mxcantor/cs_b_full.jpg
    Last edited by mxcantor; 22nd December 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Default Re: Langkawi sunset

I've taken similar shots before; one example:

This was shot before the sun's gone over the horizon; and I've boosted up the saturation to show more details

This was shot late after the sunset, hence you see the pitch dark sky above.

I like the idea that you had it at 16:9.
    I like the tree in the frame, and the little 20% of "black ground".
    Somehow I feel that the colous are not strong enough. for my liking.
    Lets wait up for the others!
    Last edited by cheguthamrin; 22nd December 2008 at 12:20 PM.
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

Personally I like to composition but colors could be more saturated especially the sun's rays

The sunset is actually hidden behind that small black patch, if can include the sun would be nice.

looking at such a pic, i would only say it lacks a girraffe; i know its langkawi. Else other than that, the colours do look washed out a wee bit.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    looking at such a pic, i would only say it lacks a girraffe; i know its langkawi. Else other than that, the colours do look washed out a wee bit.
    lol a giraffe. that actually made quite some logical sense when i looked back at the picture after reading this comment.

it would have made the shot perfect with that silhouette!

but hey, good shot anyway, i would love to be in that position taking that shot too.

not sure about the aperture or why you're using a 50mm for this though.