View Poll Results: Which school would you choose for your child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would put her in Raffles Girl Primary School

12 52.17%
  • No, I think De Lasalle would be the better choice.

11 47.83%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    All schools in Singapore are good. Principals are the cream selected among teachers.
    ho ho. you have no idea how untrue this is. but then again, at least we have schools and a standardised syllabus here. so who are we to complain.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Coming from a family of teachers, I can say confidently it is the principal who makes or breaks the school, not teachers.

My father used to teach Maths at ACS. My mother was an English teacher at SCGS. My elder brother used to teach Maths and Science at Chung Cheng High and his wife (my sister-in-law) is still teaching at Tao Nan. My paternal aunt is a retired principal of a "prestigious" secondary school. Their verdicts: it is not the teachers, but the principal that makes the difference.
    Last edited by photobum; 29th December 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    To be honest, I will not want to send my kid to RGPS, be it near or far to my house.
    From what I've heard, I don't think it is a good school for a young kid to grow up in. Sure, if your definition of good school is one that churns out good academic results, then it is a good school... but I'm afraid this is all it is good for. From what I've heard, I get the impression that the environment is highly stressful, competitive and suffocating... for a young child (6 years old for Pr 1?) who should still be enjoying childhood (I don't mean play all day and don't study, but there should be a balance of play and study, not ALL study and no time to play becos...), this may not be the best environment. Also, I don't know what she will learn about values there... I expect there be quite a number of snobs and kids being kids will be showoffs and compare their latest gear. Of course, you get this everywhere, but I'm talking about proportion and probability here. OK, this is just my impression of this school and if you know better and know that I'm wrong, good... I don't intend to start an arguement on this.

I don't know anything about De Laselle too... but since your girl has been there for a year now, you can judge from her behaviour and changes whether it is a bad influence or not. You also have met the teachers there and spoken to them, I'm sure... so you have a firsthand experience and should be able to make a pretty good judgement about the teachers and environment... as opposed to RGPS where you don't have any experience with the school and all you know is the school gets good results. If you see that there's nothing bad about the school or it's good too, and plus it is nearer to your home, and she has proven too that she can get excellent results in this school, then why not let her stay on? I don't see anything bad about this school so far, just that you have some preconception that RGPS is better but it may not be true since you do not have any personal experience with this school.

It is also adviseable to sit down and have a talk with your daughter and ask her how she feels about her current school and if there is anything she likes and dislikes about the school. It is important to hear the child's opinion and discuss things with her, even though she is young and is not able to make sound judgement... but at least she will feel that she has a part to play in her life's decisions and not feel that she has no control or say over anything in her life... everything is mum and dad decide wan.

My gal was in Bukit Timah Primary School in P1, on Firday, it will be her first day in De Lasalle. So I can't tell if the teacehers are ok or not, even the principal. My child still like RGPS, but for her to decide on the actual purpose is abit too mild. Her reason of going was because of the playground and the school uniform. Thanks for your comments anyway, she will be going to De LaSalle....... on FRiday. Cheers!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Coming from a family of teachers, I can say confidently it is the principal who makes or breaks the school, not teachers.

My father used to teach Maths at ACS. My mother was an English teacher at SCGS. My elder brother used to teach Maths and Science at Chung Cheng High and his wife (my sister-in-law) is still teaching at Tao Nan. Their verdicts: it is not the teachers, but the principal that makes the difference.
    So which school would you choose for your gal if you were in my shoe bro? I was from ACPS (Coleman Street) and got transfer to a neighbourhood school as I was in the first cahoots of students posted to the neighbourhood school, I could see the difference between me and the neighbourhood school. I was made a prefect within the first week as I was the only one able to communciate with my teachers in proper English! My classmate starts talking to me in Hokkien!! So I can sense the difference coming from a established school and a neighbourhood schools, hope its a different situation now....... will wait and see.
    Last edited by smalltake; 29th December 2008 at 08:51 AM.
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

[QUOTE=WuffRuff;4646980]
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Dear all,

I like to thank you all for taking time to share with me your views. Me and my wife have finally decided:

DE LASALLE

We have explained to my gal and she has accepted and was very eager today to buy her new school uniform. And she keeps telling me, I want to go the RGS after her PSLE... peng siah!! This <textarea name="message" id="vB_Editor_001_textarea" rows="10" cols="60" style="display:block; width:640px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">

Ohhh... I replied too late...
    But anyway, just wanna tell you that you have made a good decision and dealt with this matter very well.

Yes, RGS is a good school and I hope she will get in.
    My gal has already gotten a place in RGPS, but now we have decided to put her in De LaSalle. Distance is one thing and the other thing is my gal's attitude. She has started comparing things with her cousins and friends and we can't imagine what is going to happen when put in a school who are wealthy with nice house, handphones, far-away holidays etc, she will definitely starts to feel inferior and resentful if we dun provide her the same level of comfort her classmates might have in RGPS.

So its De LaSalle for her....... cheers and thanks for your comments! Cheers!

So which school would you choose for your gal if you were in my shoe bro?
    My daughter will be attending Primary 1 in 2010. My wife and I have decided long time ago that we are just going to send her to a neighboring primary school nearby where I live.

Even though my wife teaches at CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls, she does not want to enroll our daughter into that school. My wife wants her to be 'normal' (so that she can work well with men later in adulthood) and be self-independent (not to give my girl the impression that its her mummy's school).
    Last edited by photobum; 29th December 2008 at 11:43 AM.

My daughter will be attending Primary 1 in 2010. My wife and I have decided long time ago that we are just going to send her to a neighboring primary school nearby where I live.

Even though my wife teaches at CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls, she does not want to enroll our daughter into that school. My wife wants her to be 'normal' (so that she can work well with men later in adulthood) and be self-independent (not to give my girl the impression that its her mummy's school).
    Solid leh!! Tough choice....... but hope its good for your gal! Good luck bro and happy fathering!!!

I agree that it's the principal that is the one who makes the significant difference to the school... but don't forget about MOE!!! It is ultimately MOE who decides on policies and how the schools and syllabus should be run... the principal is the one who will need to implement these policies but he isn't the one who made these decisions! Not on major issues, at least. The teachers are normal workers, the principal is the manager, and MOE is CEO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    but then again, at least we have schools and a standardised syllabus here. so who are we to complain.
    Well, the syllabus and teaching system and policies suck... that is what we have to complain about!!!
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    hehe... I said 10 YEARS of all girls is not healthy lah.... but I want her to be in a girl school during the DANGER period of 13-16 when she wants to get to know guys. I prefer her to get relationship in JC or something, not in secondary school. But I scared if primary is all girls, secondary is all girls, she becomes lesbian or nun how?

So best case scenario is mixed primary and all girls secondary.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfurr View Post
    i have nothing more of value to add to this conversation but i would like to reverse the fallacy that 10 years in an all girls school will produce lesbians. i've come across more lesbians that have come from mixed schools, and i'm pretty normal myself. its a very male mindset and needs to be reversed!
    Heheh... I came from 10 years girls' school... my sister came from 10 years co-ed... so I have seen both outcomes at very close range and I agree with pisduck that best is mixed primary and all girls sec. I'm not sure about boys but this is what I think is best for girls.
    (If you're wondering why me and my sis had such different educations, this is becos our parents chose primary schools based on what was near to where we live and we had moved. For sec school, they let us choose for ourselves and of course, also based on results if we could enter.)

I think that Pr school level is very important for the foundation in learning and the subjects. At this stage, actually it is not so significant whether the school is all girls or mixed but it would be good to mix with both genders, I think. More importantly is the quality of the teachers, the school program and your own part as parent in supervising and guiding the studies.

In Sec school, this is where they are at a stange most susceptible to peer influence... and trust me, a neighbourhood mixed school (yes, there are some top mixed school but they have rules that prohibit dating and such oppression result in much worse adverse outcomes) and a good all girls school would result in totally different products.

My Sec school lies in a 'school zone'. For 4 years, I took a bus that would see 2 girls' sec schools (including mine), a top mixed sec school, 2 so-so mixed sec schools and a boys' sec school... so really I have seen all kinds and 4 years definitely gives a sample size good enough for pretty sound conclusions. I also had interactions with various schools through CCA. There really is a certain 'type' from a certain kind of school. Even now, I can tell when someone is from an all girls, all boys or mixed Sec school. Of course, some pple are not that obvious but I have seen cases where I know dead sure this person is from a mixed or all girls or all boys school... and this is years after they have left the school! No doubt, those years in Sec school are the most formative years of an individuals life, save for the first year of life.

And I do not agree with pfurr. It is true, the chances of becoming lesbian is higher in an all girls' sec school but I think this is not a strong cause for worry. Many of the cases of lesbianism due to peer pressure or being in an all girls school is short term and the people 'grow put' of it when they have left the school. Homosexuality actually has it's roots from personal traumatic experience with the OPPOSITE SEX, usually during childhood.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by faineant View Post
    As for the exchange programme in primary schools; RGPS is not the only school that has this.
    Please share which other primary schools have exchange program? I think exchange program, be it at whatever level, is a very good experience and exposure.

Planning to bring her a few day stays in the farm soon...... see the animals and vegetables.... hhehehe.....
    Ah? Singapore got farm stay? Where is it? Sounds interesting... glad that you are bringing her out to show her more things and learn from the outside world too... not just classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Yr daughter is lucky. You can afford. How about those who cannot to go for holiday in Japan or Korea?

You ought to tell her that it is her duty and responsibilty to do well. Your duty is to facilitate and create an environment for her to study. If she does not do well, she would have to face the world eventually.

How long can you be with her? How many years more years can you send her for holidays?
    If cannot afford holiday, can always reward with other things that suit your budget. If really really poor family, can reward with MacDonald's french fries or soft serve cone.

This talk of duty and responsibility thing... you are talking like you expect the child to think like an adult. Sure we can understand this and a older child may be able to understand too... but you want to tell this to a pr school kid who selects her school based on nice playground and uniform?!? You are playing piano to a cow!!!

Be realistic and relate to the child at her level. At this stage, they will only be motivated by rewards... so use it... even if for the 'wrong' reason, it will at least motivate and inculcate the habit of studying hard and the child will get a good foundation in studies. And at the very least, she is still learning that she needs to work hard to get something... it is better than just giving her a holiday cos she pleads for it... you make her work for it. When she is older, she will understand this thing about duty, responsibility and ultimately it is for her own good... and you can wean her off the rewards scheme.

MOE is CEO!!!

Ah.... Yes, MOE.

Throughout the years, MOE has evolved with the goal of transforming our nation into an education hub. For better or for worse, there isn't a consistency in our education system. Somehow, I feel that students now and then are used as guinea pigs for their "trial" to achieve their ambitious goal.

And we, as parents, are being dragged into this whirlpool of senseless "kiasuism" about our children education. Don't you think so?

For me and my wife, we choose to avoid this as much as possible, and let our daughter develops and discovers her abilities by herself. If she needs help in her studies, we will help (after all, both of us are certified teachers) but we will not 'force' her into attending oodles of tuition and enrichment classes.
    Last edited by photobum; 31st December 2008 at 07:17 PM.

Ah? Singapore got farm stay? Where is it? Sounds interesting... glad that you are bringing her out to show her more things and learn from the outside world too... not just classroom.
    Sungei Kadut or around LIm Chu Kang there is a few. One is the famous Bollywood Farm which is operated by Ivy singh, the gangho lady who used to be the National Volleyball coach and she has champion alot of causes. Drop by and pay them a visit, they would more than welcome you. I think they pump in about $3m of their own money to set up the farm and they seems to be enjoying it........

Check out their website: http://bollywoodveggies.com/

I wonder how I missed this thread by a mile...

My daughter starts P1 next Friday. I came from a mission school, St Andrew's, and it was my desire to let her study in a sister school, St Hilda. However, after thinking it over, there are more important issues to look at, rather than the name of the school or its prestige.

Firstly, is the time taken to and from the school. I'm staying in Sembawang, and it's going to be ridiculous to expect a 6 year old girl to wake up at 5:30am, just to get ready for a long school bus journey. Also by the time she's back, she will be the last in the bus.

Secondly, the real practical cost of transport is a serious consideration.

Thirdly, the proximity of the school for the family members to get there in case of an emergency.

Fourthly, she has a younger brother who is only in K1, and the timing will be a clash for my wife to handle both.

Lastly, the practical thing about a prestigous school is that its only in name. What matters are the principal and teachers that will mould the student academically and holistically.

So, I finally chose a new school, Endeavour Primary, which is just below the foot of my block. The single session timing coincides nicely with my son's dismissal time from K1.

She has attended a few orientation days in the school and she enjoys it and is looking forward to attending school. At the end of the day, all that really matters to me is that she is happy and enthusiastic about school.

It is our duty as parents to reinforce whatever the school teaches, both academically and morally. So in that context, my view is that all schools are basically the same. What differs is a public perception of that school..which on hindsight, might not be that a practical consideration sometimes.
    ebay SG: clippersg
    Chupr: clipper

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    At the end of the day, all that really matters to me is that she is happy and enthusiastic about school.
    Agree....

My daughter will ask me when is she going to 'that school' (her future primary school) every time the feeder bus passes by the school gate.
    Last edited by photobum; 31st December 2008 at 11:35 PM.

If my daughter is keen about RGPS, I would place her in that school, because the environment, influence, and perhaps quality of education is better.

But I would constantly remind her that the school you're from, or the grades aren't everything, and she shouldn't tie her happiness to that. She shouldn't be so caught up in the general RGPS mentality that they should go to RGS after that.

Ultimately, it's what we learn and what values we inculcate that matters, when we go out to work, education history and grades eventually become insignificant.

Sungei Kadut or around LIm Chu Kang there is a few. One is the famous Bollywood Farm which is operated by Ivy singh, the gangho lady who used to be the National Volleyball coach and she has champion alot of causes. Drop by and pay them a visit, they would more than welcome you. I think they pump in about $3m of their own money to set up the farm and they seems to be enjoying it........

Check out their website: http://bollywoodveggies.com/
    I saw the website...
    No mention of farm stay leh...
    Got farm tours, farm talks... but no farm stay leh...

Haha ... I concur!

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperSG View Post
    I wonder how I missed this thread by a mile...

My daughter starts P1 next Friday. I came from a mission school, St Andrew's, and it was my desire to let her study in a sister school, St Hilda. However, after thinking it over, there are more important issues to look at, rather than the name of the school or its prestige.

Firstly, is the time taken to and from the school. I'm staying in Sembawang, and it's going to be ridiculous to expect a 6 year old girl to wake up at 5:30am, just to get ready for a long school bus journey. Also by the time she's back, she will be the last in the bus.

Secondly, the real practical cost of transport is a serious consideration.

Thirdly, the proximity of the school for the family members to get there in case of an emergency.

Fourthly, she has a younger brother who is only in K1, and the timing will be a clash for my wife to handle both.

Lastly, the practical thing about a prestigous school is that its only in name. What matters are the principal and teachers that will mould the student academically and holistically.

So, I finally chose a new school, Endeavour Primary, which is just below the foot of my block. The single session timing coincides nicely with my son's dismissal time from K1.

She has attended a few orientation days in the school and she enjoys it and is looking forward to attending school. At the end of the day, all that really matters to me is that she is happy and enthusiastic about school.

It is our duty as parents to reinforce whatever the school teaches, both academically and morally. So in that context, my view is that all schools are basically the same. What differs is a public perception of that school..which on hindsight, might not be that a practical consideration sometimes.

My gal has already gotten a place in RGPS, but now we have decided to put her in De LaSalle. Distance is one thing and the other thing is my gal's attitude. She has started comparing things with her cousins and friends and we can't imagine what is going to happen when put in a school who are wealthy with nice house, handphones, far-away holidays etc, she will definitely starts to feel inferior and resentful if we dun provide her the same level of comfort her classmates might have in RGPS.

So its De LaSalle for her....... cheers and thanks for your comments! Cheers!
    Haha, my friend, in today's context, of what you've mentioned, everywhere and school is the same, and the same comparison will happen. It's the parents' job to mentor them the right attitude. Depending on individual child's character, this is the toughest part to do in parenthood. But of course, nowaday most parents would choose to let their maid do it, while they can spend more time to make $.

Cheers!
    Last edited by cheeseme; 5th January 2009 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post

Haha, my friend, in today's context, of what you've mentioned, everywhere and school is the same, and the same comparison will happen. It's the parents' job to mentor them the right attitude. Depending on individual child's character, this is the toughest part to do in parenthood. But of course, nowaday most parents would choose to let their maid do it, while they can spend more time to make $.

Cheers!
    Hi, you have misquoted me. Your quote says "WuffRuff" but what you quoted was posted by "smalltake". Can you please edit that and change the "WuffRuff" to "smalltake"? Thanks.

I think a lot of people mentioned it is the pricipals, the teachers who make the difference.

I feel the biggest factor is your peers. The classmates u will be studying with. The close friends your kids will hang out with every weekday for the next 6 years.

PS: the lesbian thing is err an obvious exaggeration. I just think it will be better to have some interaction with the opposite sex during her school years. 10 years surrounded by girls....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast