View Poll Results: Which school would you choose for your child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would put her in Raffles Girl Primary School

    12 52.17%
  • No, I think De Lasalle would be the better choice.

    11 47.83%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 102

Thread: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    smalltake, just how did you daughter ever get the idea that RGPS is the best if not for your preference and expectation? A Pri 1 kid has no idea which school is good or not if not for the parents expressing it.

    All schools have their own distinctives. A lot depends on the quality of the headmaster and teachers. They set the tone whether the school is good or not. I have seen this in both SAP and neighbourhood schools. Just choose a good school nearest your home.

    As much as your arguments for putting you kid in a "good" environment, I can tell you that even in so called good schools, there is no guarantee you kid won't be facing some of the more negative aspects like bullying, bad company, unruly behavior, etc. One cannot shield a child from this even in the best of schools but one can inculcate in her a good value system that can distinguish between what is right and wrong. That will put her in good stead no matter if she is in a neighbourhood school or not.

    Getting into the RGPS is no guarantee that she will excel academically. If your child has the potential, she can be in any school and still qualify for the Gifted Education Programme (GEP) later when she reaches Pri 3.

    The idea of best school in singapore comes from her aunt whose daughters are there. She just like the playground and that its an all girls school. And of course she likes the school uniform and the fact her cousin is there.

    RGPS has an exchange program in P5, which I think is very good. Even though in 2008, they went to India. But i like her to be independent and to mix with the different cultures in the school. They have quite a good mixtures of nationalities of students over there.

    Agreed that there is no gurantee for good schools to be perfect, they will probably have a different set of problems. Like I said earlier, at least the ah lians there speaks English - meaning there are bad hats even in RGPS, but at least they are not the hokkien speaking type. They would probably be speaking vulgar language too like FO, FU... but not NB or CB (sorry for my language).

    Going into RGPS will not guarantee her success, but at least the road and direction to success is there. Imagine in an environment where everyone is using laptops and discuss on issues in the papers.... and in an environment where gameboy and pokemon is the hot topic. My gal is very influence by the environment, she likes to observe and follow her peers, so I believe in RGPS you would probably get that kind of effect than in a neighbourhood school.

    Just like what Erictan888 said, I want her to be talking about her future plan and her ambition and what she like to be, rather when we going to roller blade and buy new gameboy games. Its just the environment that I am concern, bec I dun support ranking of school (at any level)....... and I also dun support the idea of parents volunteering service.... all these are craps. Cheers and Merry Christmas!!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    My primary school didn't even have a playground.

    Personally I think mixed schools are better.
    My primary school got swimming pool!!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  3. #63

    Smile Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    in the ts's context. i would define as a parent with experience of a child/children currently in primary school or older.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    just a question.. ot a little

    what is your definition of an experienced parent?

    not that i mean anything, it just struck my mind it is so hard to define.

    a person with 80 kids? is he more experienced than a person with 2 kids? how about a person with 79 kids?

  4. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Changi, Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    To me there is absolutely no problem with parent volunteerism. No school is a magic bullet for success, parents need to be involved in some way or another.

    Another point to note, while it is true that competition is healthy; the real individual that shines is someone who has personal ambition. If you rely on others to set yourself targets, there is no leader in you. I've seen kids from diff schools excel without the "intense competition" seen in "top schools". "I get good grades because I want to be on top of others" is a whole different mindset from "I get good grades because I want to be a doctor(for e.g)".

    Ultimately, choose a school for its learning system. It's programmes and it's teachers. I believe that the parents of prospective students should take an opportunity to have a chat with as many teachers as possible.

    As for the exchange programme in primary schools; RGPS is not the only school that has this.
    Last edited by faineant; 24th December 2008 at 03:41 PM.
    Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Confused lah bro....... u said "personally would prefer a mix primary school...", then "all girls environment is not healthy"... then "all girls environment is impt to me"..... I headache now leh.... hehehhe.........

    So u think which school is better?

    hehe... I said 10 YEARS of all girls is not healthy lah.... but I want her to be in a girl school during the DANGER period of 13-16 when she wants to get to know guys. I prefer her to get relationship in JC or something, not in secondary school. But I scared if primary is all girls, secondary is all girls, she becomes lesbian or nun how?

    So best case scenario is mixed primary and all girls secondary.

    dunno if primary school is impt or not. I came from an ulu primary school. closed down long ago. Spent primary 1-3 there but I still got selected into the GEP program when it just started. So spend my primary 4-6 years in a super duper class where everyone speaks english very powerful. My family is chinese speaking and not educated so I was bottom in class for my english for 3 years while my chinese is like super top. But after three years, I got an A* for english and A for chinese in PSLE.... shows u how much the classroom environment can change a person.
    Last edited by pisduck; 24th December 2008 at 03:47 PM.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by faineant View Post
    Another point to note, while it is true that competition is healthy; the real individual that shines is someone who has personal ambition. If you rely on others to set yourself targets, there is no leader in you. I've seen kids from diff schools excel without the "intense competition" seen in "top schools". "I get good grades because I want to be on top of others" is a whole different mindset from "I get good grades because I want to be a doctor(for e.g)".
    err... I think this is WAY to complicated for a 7 year old.... I remember when I was young, it was "I want to get top 3 in every subject because my mom promised to bring me out for western food for every subject I get into top 3 in class".

    that was it. And the bragging rights for my mom. U feel proud when your mom can brag about your grades to relatives, aunties, etc. become a doctor???

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Changi, Singapore
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    It would be sad if you ask a 7-12 year old Singaporean child what they want to be when they grow up and they have no answer. They learn occupations too in primary school, so they know what it means.

    Sure, your scenario was nothing bad. I was comparing it to a mindset that you tell your child you need to be on top of others. What I meant was parents should not be lying to themselves that being in a competitive environment is 100% healthy. There is another parameter to holistic education that should come from parents. Personal ambition should be inculcated into kids by parents; that they should have some form of aim/goal and work towards that goal.

    Honestly, would you agree that you want your kid to be No.1 so that he/she beat others to it. Too superficial.

    Simply put: There is more to education than being on top and being afraid of failure.
    Last edited by faineant; 24th December 2008 at 04:13 PM.
    Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    i have nothing more of value to add to this conversation but i would like to reverse the fallacy that 10 years in an all girls school will produce lesbians. i've come across more lesbians that have come from mixed schools, and i'm pretty normal myself. its a very male mindset and needs to be reversed!

  9. #69

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Few weeks ago, my gal had a quarrel with my wife........ jnr walked off grumbling and she said "Farker!". Wow!!!! I spilled my coffee and looked at her...... of course, she got the worst punishment (ytd) from my wife. She later admitted hearing her friends saying that, but she dunno what it means.... she imitated them. And she is only in P1!! This is what I dun want her to be influence bec at this age, its the most vulnerable time in her life.

    Environment to me at this time is important....... very impt.
    As a parent of 2, I find it funny for you to get voting here in order to have a general feel of whether a decision made is right. Haiz, if every parents took the best than who are going for the left over? Every child is a pearl to their parents.

    BTW, if this is your 1st girl/kid, then as a parent of your type mentality, perhaps I would strongly suggest that you throw away all your televisions at home. That's the worse man-made influence on Earth. Next is the Internet, when she is older. Perhaps, the last things are her friends and the environment. However, greatest of all not forgetting are....the Parents.

    Oh, whether it's a girls or mix schools, personally find it no diff. My daughter is in girls' school. Not because that I specially choose it, but it just happens to be the nearest and the most convenience school to get her from home to school and school back home. They are young. With all the school work and stress, I think what most important is to get them home quick everydays and provide them with a good and balanced meal plus sufficient rest. Provide just enough guidance and mentoring over their school work and growing up, than leaving it all to the 'Professionals'. Teachers are usually too busy with creating the best lesson plans and CCAs to pump the students' scores to make the school the best, than to spend times reminding them to greet their Parents.

    Bottomline, each child is different. The same application may not work the same for every child.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by cheeseme; 25th December 2008 at 12:46 AM.

  10. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by faineant View Post
    To me there is absolutely no problem with parent volunteerism. No school is a magic bullet for success, parents need to be involved in some way or another.

    Another point to note, while it is true that competition is healthy; the real individual that shines is someone who has personal ambition. If you rely on others to set yourself targets, there is no leader in you. I've seen kids from diff schools excel without the "intense competition" seen in "top schools". "I get good grades because I want to be on top of others" is a whole different mindset from "I get good grades because I want to be a doctor(for e.g)".

    Ultimately, choose a school for its learning system. It's programmes and it's teachers. I believe that the parents of prospective students should take an opportunity to have a chat with as many teachers as possible.

    As for the exchange programme in primary schools; RGPS is not the only school that has this.

    I have no issue of parents getting involved in school some way or another, but not to volunteer my time and service just to get my child into the school. This is truly a case of absuing and insulting the kiasuism in Sinkapolean parents. The schools are no difference from abusing slavery in the past....... this has to stop. Just my tot.....

    Getting involve to join my child as parents/guidiance during their excursions etc is totally getting involve in your child education, but not doing traffic marshals and controllers at the school zebra crossing..........
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  11. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    err... I think this is WAY to complicated for a 7 year old.... I remember when I was young, it was "I want to get top 3 in every subject because my mom promised to bring me out for western food for every subject I get into top 3 in class".

    that was it. And the bragging rights for my mom. U feel proud when your mom can brag about your grades to relatives, aunties, etc. become a doctor???
    Nowadays are different, my daughter we bring her holiday if she does well. And she wants to see snow~!! She said Japan and Korea, so I told her to do research and tell me whats so good about these countries~!! Bragging rights is a bonus, get the child into the proper foundation and education is my top priority.......

    I have seen some of my Sunday school friends who top their school in primary and seconding and went to top JC........ did not even manage to get into U. Dunno why also, mental burnout? Now housewife....... hehhehee......
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by faineant View Post
    It would be sad if you ask a 7-12 year old Singaporean child what they want to be when they grow up and they have no answer. They learn occupations too in primary school, so they know what it means.

    Sure, your scenario was nothing bad. I was comparing it to a mindset that you tell your child you need to be on top of others. What I meant was parents should not be lying to themselves that being in a competitive environment is 100% healthy. There is another parameter to holistic education that should come from parents. Personal ambition should be inculcated into kids by parents; that they should have some form of aim/goal and work towards that goal.

    Honestly, would you agree that you want your kid to be No.1 so that he/she beat others to it. Too superficial.

    Simply put: There is more to education than being on top and being afraid of failure.
    I totally agree that there is more to education than being top, but this is Singapore. You throw a stone and everyone is a grad here...... in 10 years time, throw a stone and everyone is a MBA or doctorate students............ we are moving ahead too fast and I know it unhealthy. But for her survival in future when I am not around, she need a solid education, no escaping on this. But I often tell her no work on Sunday, lets have fun and go enjoy ourselves...... Planning to bring her a few day stays in the farm soon...... see the animals and vegetables.... hhehehe.....
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  13. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    As a parent of 2, I find it funny for you to get voting here in order to have a general feel of whether a decision made is right. Haiz, if every parents took the best than who are going for the left over? Every child is a pearl to their parents.

    BTW, if this is your 1st girl/kid, then as a parent of your type mentality, perhaps I would strongly suggest that you throw away all your televisions at home. That's the worse man-made influence on Earth. Next is the Internet, when she is older. Perhaps, the last things are her friends and the environment. However, greatest of all not forgetting are....the Parents.

    Oh, whether it's a girls or mix schools, personally find it no diff. My daughter is in girls' school. Not because that I specially choose it, but it just happens to be the nearest and the most convenience school to get her from home to school and school back home. They are young. With all the school work and stress, I think what most important is to get them home quick everydays and provide them with a good and balanced meal plus sufficient rest. Provide just enough guidance and mentoring over their school work and growing up, than leaving it all to the 'Professionals'. Teachers are usually too busy with creating the best lesson plans and CCAs to pump the students' scores to make the school the best, than to spend times reminding them to greet their Parents.

    Bottomline, each child is different. The same application may not work the same for every child.

    Cheers!
    I think it totally not practical to throw away the TV and the internet. Her class homework in P1 is already done through internet, how? No need to do homework eh? I think the influence is there, we just need to guide her on the right influence from using these instruments. I watched Discovery channel with her, and explain things to her on the programs. I watch CNN with her, explain to her the poverty people faced and how fortunate she is. I watch Simpsons with her, and teach her about the funny side of humans..... ehhheheh........... but of course, she would prefer Nickolonean and the cartoons channel....

    Thanks for your comments..... cheers!
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  14. #74

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    BTPS is no problem, its the distance. Afternoon session with school bus will reach my house at after 7.30pm..... close to 8pm as per bus operator. And it will cost me $200/mth for school bus. I had pick the school as her after school (from childcare K2) is near to the school. So I had arrange the school bus to pick her up in the morning for her afternoon session in P1. Principal has changed, so the standards seems to have slackened slightly.

    We pick De LaSalle bec its the best neighbourhood school in CCK and its pretty new the new place that I have shifted to yesterday...........
    The students matter most. If your child work hard and under proper guidance, he/she will do well irrespective of the school he attends.
    Did you not pick the school nearest to your home or you want to choose so call a 'better' school?
    I know of many students from so call 'good' primary schools did not make it to the better secondary school!

  15. #75

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Nowadays are different, my daughter we bring her holiday if she does well. And she wants to see snow~!! She said Japan and Korea, so I told her to do research and tell me whats so good about these countries~!! Bragging rights is a bonus, get the child into the proper foundation and education is my top priority.......

    I have seen some of my Sunday school friends who top their school in primary and seconding and went to top JC........ did not even manage to get into U. Dunno why also, mental burnout? Now housewife....... hehhehee......
    Yr daughter is lucky. You can afford. How about those who cannot to go for holiday in Japan or Korea?

    You ought to tell her that it is her duty and responsibilty to do well. Your duty is to facilitate and create an environment for her to study. If she does not do well, she would have to face the world eventually.

    How long can you be with her? How many years more years can you send her for holidays?

  16. #76
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Yr daughter is lucky. You can afford. How about those who cannot to go for holiday in Japan or Korea?

    You ought to tell her that it is her duty and responsibilty to do well. Your duty is to facilitate and create an environment for her to study. If she does not do well, she would have to face the world eventually.

    How long can you be with her? How many years more years can you send her for holidays?
    Until the day I have to take the 'flight' alone...... ahahahah........ . I think she has not seen the reality of the real world.
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Up North......
    Posts
    624

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Dear all,

    I like to thank you all for taking time to share with me your views. Me and my wife have finally decided:

    DE LASALLE

    We have explained to my gal and she has accepted and was very eager today to buy her new school uniform. And she keeps telling me, I want to go the RGS after her PSLE... peng siah!! This time round, I did tell her RGS is a good school and will not be easy to get in. So i told her she need to concentrate on her work........

    Thanks for all your contribution and yes, we did tell her she got a place in RGPS. I just felt I need to tell her. Cheers everyone....... lets move on....
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

  18. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    To be honest, I will not want to send my kid to RGPS, be it near or far to my house.
    From what I've heard, I don't think it is a good school for a young kid to grow up in. Sure, if your definition of good school is one that churns out good academic results, then it is a good school... but I'm afraid this is all it is good for. From what I've heard, I get the impression that the environment is highly stressful, competitive and suffocating... for a young child (6 years old for Pr 1?) who should still be enjoying childhood (I don't mean play all day and don't study, but there should be a balance of play and study, not ALL study and no time to play becos...), this may not be the best environment. Also, I don't know what she will learn about values there... I expect there be quite a number of snobs and kids being kids will be showoffs and compare their latest gear. Of course, you get this everywhere, but I'm talking about proportion and probability here. OK, this is just my impression of this school and if you know better and know that I'm wrong, good... I don't intend to start an arguement on this.

    I don't know anything about De Laselle too... but since your girl has been there for a year now, you can judge from her behaviour and changes whether it is a bad influence or not. You also have met the teachers there and spoken to them, I'm sure... so you have a firsthand experience and should be able to make a pretty good judgement about the teachers and environment... as opposed to RGPS where you don't have any experience with the school and all you know is the school gets good results. If you see that there's nothing bad about the school or it's good too, and plus it is nearer to your home, and she has proven too that she can get excellent results in this school, then why not let her stay on? I don't see anything bad about this school so far, just that you have some preconception that RGPS is better but it may not be true since you do not have any personal experience with this school.

    It is also adviseable to sit down and have a talk with your daughter and ask her how she feels about her current school and if there is anything she likes and dislikes about the school. It is important to hear the child's opinion and discuss things with her, even though she is young and is not able to make sound judgement... but at least she will feel that she has a part to play in her life's decisions and not feel that she has no control or say over anything in her life... everything is mum and dad decide wan.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  19. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    opp. East Coast Park
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    [QUOTE=smalltake;4646670]Dear all,

    I like to thank you all for taking time to share with me your views. Me and my wife have finally decided:

    DE LASALLE

    We have explained to my gal and she has accepted and was very eager today to buy her new school uniform. And she keeps telling me, I want to go the RGS after her PSLE... peng siah!! This <textarea name="message" id="vB_Editor_001_textarea" rows="10" cols="60" style="display:block; width:640px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Dear all,

    I like to thank you all for taking time to share with me your views. Me and my wife have finally decided:

    DE LASALLE

    We have explained to my gal and she has accepted and was very eager today to buy her new school uniform. And she keeps telling me, I want to go the RGS after her PSLE... peng siah!! This time round, I did tell her RGS is a good school and will not be easy to get in. So i told her she need to concentrate on her work........

    Thanks for all your contribution and yes, we did tell her she got a place in RGPS. I just felt I need to tell her. Cheers everyone....... lets move on....
    Ohhh... I replied too late...
    But anyway, just wanna tell you that you have made a good decision and dealt with this matter very well.

    Yes, RGS is a good school and I hope she will get in.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Dear all,

    I like to thank you all for taking time to share with me your views. Me and my wife have finally decided:

    DE LASALLE

    We have explained to my gal and she has accepted and was very eager today to buy her new school uniform. And she keeps telling me, I want to go the RGS after her PSLE... peng siah!! This time round, I did tell her RGS is a good school and will not be easy to get in. So i told her she need to concentrate on her work........

    Thanks for all your contribution and yes, we did tell her she got a place in RGPS. I just felt I need to tell her. Cheers everyone....... lets move on....
    All schools in Singapore are good. Principals are the cream selected among teachers.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •