View Poll Results: Which school would you choose for your child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would put her in Raffles Girl Primary School

12 52.17%
  • No, I think De Lasalle would be the better choice.

11 47.83%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

Default Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    how far is de lasalle from where you are staying?
    I am staying at st.64, so it would take about 20 minutes walk to school. But I think we will put her on school bus, she is too playful on the streets. Maybe when she is P3 ro P4, then we will ask her to walk to school. This is if we are picking De lasalle........
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

Smile Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

then, if i were you, de lasalle is my 1st choice.

Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    I am staying at st.64, so it would take about 20 minutes walk to school. But I think we will put her on school bus, she is too playful on the streets. Maybe when she is P3 ro P4, then we will ask her to walk to school. This is if we are picking De lasalle........

Wa your daughter got so many pattern (pretend to be sick, playful...) and still do so well...seems that she's got natural talent...so RGPS ftw. Just my 2 cents

My first priority in choosing a school for my daughter is that it must be nearby so that she spend the least amt of time commuting. It's also because when she reaches primary 3 and gets more involved in CCA, it is convenient for someone to fetch her back from sch as school buses usually do not pick you up after the assigned time.

Unlike secondary school, where students are already streamed according to their academic achievements, a primary school basically starts from a clean slate where students ability and aptitude are concerned. It may not be justifiable to say that a kid in a "prestigious" school will have more positive influences from her peers. Kids from such schools may also have "bad" attitudes depending on the influence of their parents. So basically I'm saying a kid with "rich" parents may also pick up bad traits from them.

My philosophy is simple. If your kid is a Volkswagen, she will not become a Rolls Royce by going to a "prestigious" school. Ultimately, the parents have to play an active role in guiding her and ensures she imbibes the "right" moral values that the parents want to see in the child.

smalltake, just how did you daughter ever get the idea that RGPS is the best if not for your preference and expectation? A Pri 1 kid has no idea which school is good or not if not for the parents expressing it.

All schools have their own distinctives. A lot depends on the quality of the headmaster and teachers. They set the tone whether the school is good or not. I have seen this in both SAP and neighbourhood schools. Just choose a good school nearest your home.

As much as your arguments for putting you kid in a "good" environment, I can tell you that even in so called good schools, there is no guarantee you kid won't be facing some of the more negative aspects like bullying, bad company, unruly behavior, etc. One cannot shield a child from this even in the best of schools but one can inculcate in her a good value system that can distinguish between what is right and wrong. That will put her in good stead no matter if she is in a neighbourhood school or not.

Getting into the RGPS is no guarantee that she will excel academically. If your child has the potential, she can be in any school and still qualify for the Gifted Education Programme (GEP) later when she reaches Pri 3.

the school environment and the peers she mixes with is very importanta and can really affect the outcome of the results (like psle results)
    in a more competitive environment, you get pushed to your limits, and you are given more difficult worksheets and tests, thus forcing you to catch up and work...

i come from a pretty ok JC and what the students were discussing about are like what courses do you want to take in uni etc...
    but when i heard from my friends in the not so ok JC, the students are like saying " dun know can get into uni or not leh...."
    imagine for my year, ONLY one student in the whole level did not qualify for uni.... surely, you can't be that one right?
    so, for me, environment is indeed very important... the competitive environment....
    so, send your daughter to RGPS.... dun lose this chance....
    to quote from a long long ago story: Meng Zi's mother shifted house THREE times to get to a good environment...
    just my thoughts for your consideration.... you dun have to agree...

hope you make the best decision for your daughter...
    be it to stay or to go...
    cheers

A child's early foundation, values and environment matters a lot. I believe that should be your consideration.

I'd go with RGPS for the reason that it might give her a comparative headstart in the above, which are also important aside from academia.

I'm sure that we all had no problems waking up early as kids to go to school, in fact, I think we often overstate distance travelled to school. Furthermore, it is good to inculcate a value of early rising too.
    Last edited by LazerLordz; 23rd December 2008 at 02:11 PM.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Smile Re: Which school would you choose for your daughter....

are you speaking here as an experienced parent?

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz View Post
    A child's early foundation, values and environment matters a lot. I believe that should be your consideration.

I'd go with RGPS for the reason that it might give her a comparative headstart in the above, which are also important aside from academia.

I'm sure that we all had no problems waking up early as kids to go to school, in fact, I think we often overstate distance travelled to school. Furthermore, it is good to inculcate a value of early rising too.

No, just my personal opinion. Apologies if I missed that out.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

just a question.. ot a little

what is your definition of an experienced parent?

not that i mean anything, it just struck my mind it is so hard to define.

a person with 80 kids? is he more experienced than a person with 2 kids? how about a person with 79 kids?

Any school that is truly interested in education, and doesn't come under the control of MOE.

Hi smalltake

Reading the replies to this thread makes me decide to give my opinion. In so far as the replies go, its either a choice of RGPS or De Lasalle based on the fact that the former is a prestigious school and the latter a neighbourhood school. What is missing is the PROGRAMMES that each of these schools have to offer.

I guess when one chooses a school be it in Primary 1 or in Sec 1, the same factors are considered. Distance, gender-make of the school, track record, affliations amongst many others. Based on the reasons given by your daughter, she likes the environment and playground, its very valid for a child at her age. But i guess as parents, our reasons for the choice of any school would transcend beyond the mere physical facilities. I am not married and have no kids but I am involved in schools. Hence, i guess if i were to choose a school, i would ensure that this school has a good track record NOT ONLY in academic results but also in terms of inculcating sound values and moral development. A school which focuses on values would naturally produce students of sound character which includes discipline and thus academic achievement would take care of itself.

As for distance, come on! Surely Singapore's infrastructure is good enough support to ensure that we get from north to south and east to west in the shortest possible time. Besides, it will be quite a norm to travel some distance next time when she goes to secondary school and hence getting used to travelling in primary school may well be a good learning journey.

Hence, dont just go for the name sake. Go for the track record. Go for the school which will provide your daughter the environment to become the best she can be.

Hope this helps........

you said it yourself.
    RGPS! can you imagine what it would mean for her.

Well, at least i know i would want whats the happiest for my daughter (future)

Hey Sean, we still haven't heard your opinions about organ trading.

I just have my baby girl 4 months ago and I already know what primary school she is going too

Rosyth primary because her PAPA and MAMA both from Rosyth primary. Her grandmother also....

Anyway, for me primary school is VERY impt I feel. I personally would prefer a mix primary school for her as I want to send her to an all girls secondary school. I think 10 years in an all girls environment is not healthy and 13-16 years old is when u start getting interested in boys and still highly immature.... so an all girls environment is impt to me.

Quote Originally Posted by smalltake View Post
    Facts as per below:

In Dec 2007, I went to Raffles Girls Primary School for balloting for my gal admission to Primary 1, she was not successful and we put her in Bukit Timah Primary School. She was devasted after the ballot when she ask me "Papa, is the ballot over???? I did not get a place to study in RGPS??". I replied her "Yeah, its over. We were not lucky. Nvrm dear, we will find another school for you." I smiled, but she burst into tears. I was feeling so sorry for her at that time to see the kind of disappointment in her eyes.

I told her at that time "Dear, its ok. You can still make it to RGPS if you put in your best effort in P1". One year later, she did extremely well and now she has been offered a place in RGPS. This was after we transfer her to De LaSalle primary school in Choa Chu Kang as I will be shifting around the area, which is about 20 minutes walk from my new location.

Issues that me and my wife have been discussing are:
    - Distance from RGPS to our house is a distance, she will be tired. Her cousin's mother will actually be driving her own gal to school so we tot we can tong pang my gal and pay her some $$ for her petrol. This will only be for 1 yr, thereafter, will be different sessions.

- All gal school - gals emotional - become too close friends?

- If go RGPS now, and later cannot go RGS. She will be more disappointed ......

- Stress in RGPS, we would expect the teachers/school expectation to be high.

My wife prefer my gal to go to De LaSalle, but I prefer her to to go RGPS. My reasons:
    - she has performed well to deserve her wish of going to RGPS.
    - want to keep this as a motivational factor to remind her that if she put in effort, she will be rewarded.
    - I think the environment in RGPS will be better, at least eh ah lians there speak English.
    - Moulding of the initial 6 yrs in Primary school is impt for me as they are influenced greatly by their surrounding peers/environment.
    - If she cannot make it, then can decide to transfer her back to De LaSalle.
    - Best christmas wish for her, because I still told her that RGPS has not replied. She has already ask me a few time. When I say no, she would reply "Aiyah, nvrm lah... De LaSalle also can lah." - I can already sense her fear of another disappointment.

To all the parents here, please give me your honest opinion. I just want to give the best to my child....... as any parents would do. Cheers and early Merry Christmas to you all!!
    What's wrong with Bukit Timah Primary School?

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    What's wrong with Bukit Timah Primary School?
    BTPS is no problem, its the distance. Afternoon session with school bus will reach my house at after 7.30pm..... close to 8pm as per bus operator. And it will cost me $200/mth for school bus. I had pick the school as her after school (from childcare K2) is near to the school. So I had arrange the school bus to pick her up in the morning for her afternoon session in P1. Principal has changed, so the standards seems to have slackened slightly.

We pick De LaSalle bec its the best neighbourhood school in CCK and its pretty new the new place that I have shifted to yesterday...........
    D300|35mm f/2|85mm f/1.4|18-200 mm VR|17-55mm f/2.8 |70-300 F4-5.6|Tok 11-16 f/2.8|SB800|MB-D10|

Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    I just have my baby girl 4 months ago and I already know what primary school she is going too

Rosyth primary because her PAPA and MAMA both from Rosyth primary. Her grandmother also....

Anyway, for me primary school is VERY impt I feel. I personally would prefer a mix primary school for her as I want to send her to an all girls secondary school. I think 10 years in an all girls environment is not healthy and 13-16 years old is when u start getting interested in boys and still highly immature.... so an all girls environment is impt to me.
    Confused lah bro....... u said "personally would prefer a mix primary school...", then "all girls environment is not healthy"... then "all girls environment is impt to me"..... I headache now leh.... hehehhe.........

So u think which school is better?

My primary school didn't even have a playground.

Personally I think mixed schools are better.

Quote Originally Posted by LenzLaw View Post
    Wa your daughter got so many pattern (pretend to be sick, playful...) and still do so well...seems that she's got natural talent...so RGPS ftw. Just my 2 cents
    She needs to be pushed...... thats why I thought that RGPS would be better for her as 'majority' of students will be trying to excel and the competitivness in that school will be higher than in the neighbourhood school. But I understands is that RGPS does not push their students, bec they expect them to be self motivating........ but not sure if this is true or not.

She takes after her mother........ lucky never follow my brain genes..... confirm go ITE liao. hahahhha.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast