Facts as per below:
In Dec 2007, I went to Raffles Girls Primary School for balloting for my gal admission to Primary 1, she was not successful and we put her in Bukit Timah Primary School. She was devasted after the ballot when she ask me "Papa, is the ballot over???? I did not get a place to study in RGPS??". I replied her "Yeah, its over. We were not lucky. Nvrm dear, we will find another school for you." I smiled, but she burst into tears. I was feeling so sorry for her at that time to see the kind of disappointment in her eyes.
I told her at that time "Dear, its ok. You can still make it to RGPS if you put in your best effort in P1". One year later, she did extremely well and now she has been offered a place in RGPS. This was after we transfer her to De LaSalle primary school in Choa Chu Kang as I will be shifting around the area, which is about 20 minutes walk from my new location.
Issues that me and my wife have been discussing are:
- Distance from RGPS to our house is a distance, she will be tired. Her cousin's mother will actually be driving her own gal to school so we tot we can tong pang my gal and pay her some $$ for her petrol. This will only be for 1 yr, thereafter, will be different sessions.
- All gal school - gals emotional - become too close friends?
- If go RGPS now, and later cannot go RGS. She will be more disappointed ......
- Stress in RGPS, we would expect the teachers/school expectation to be high.
My wife prefer my gal to go to De LaSalle, but I prefer her to to go RGPS. My reasons:
- she has performed well to deserve her wish of going to RGPS.
- want to keep this as a motivational factor to remind her that if she put in effort, she will be rewarded.
- I think the environment in RGPS will be better, at least eh ah lians there speak English.
- Moulding of the initial 6 yrs in Primary school is impt for me as they are influenced greatly by their surrounding peers/environment.
- If she cannot make it, then can decide to transfer her back to De LaSalle.
- Best christmas wish for her, because I still told her that RGPS has not replied. She has already ask me a few time. When I say no, she would reply "Aiyah, nvrm lah... De LaSalle also can lah." - I can already sense her fear of another disappointment.
To all the parents here, please give me your honest opinion. I just want to give the best to my child....... as any parents would do. Cheers and early Merry Christmas to you all!!