Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Shot of ECP

  1. #1

    Default Shot of ECP



    Would like to get feedback on the composition of this photo taken at around dusk.

    The subject in this photo is the structure. The rocks/pebbles in the foreground serves as a foreground interest, and hopefully the blue sky doesn't make the top part too bland, although some clouds formation would be nice.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Shot of ECP

    the rocks and pebbles are not significant enough to be a foreground interest - in fact, what rocks and pebbles? what i see in the foreground is the reflection of the lights.

    i thought extending the exposure timing a wee bit longer, by stopping down your aperture, would be great. it would at the very least smoothen out the reflection of the lights a little bit more.

    would also crop this to a more squarish format.

    all in all, this is not a bad shot, but it is nothing "out of the ordinary", i.e. nothing spectacular.

    it looks like there was wind during the shot roughing up the water surface.. if you find it in you, go back to the spot until you get a windless day, a more perfect reflection may give that extra bit more.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Shot of ECP

    Warm and cool colour compliments each other, maybe can add an effect filter to accentuate the street lamp ?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Shot of ECP

    would the composition look better if more of the sky was included? meaning the more parts of the river not being included in the frame.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  5. #5

    Default Re: Shot of ECP

    i think in your case the subject is horizontal, a landscape composition may be nicer. since the sky of not much interest, i would shoot 1/4 water, 3/4 subject (taking into nightmare's comments on flat water to get a clear reflection of the subject).

    Last edited by pokiemon; 22nd December 2008 at 04:20 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Shot of ECP

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    the rocks and pebbles are not significant enough to be a foreground interest - in fact, what rocks and pebbles? what i see in the foreground is the reflection of the lights.

    i thought extending the exposure timing a wee bit longer, by stopping down your aperture, would be great. it would at the very least smoothen out the reflection of the lights a little bit more.

    would also crop this to a more squarish format.

    all in all, this is not a bad shot, but it is nothing "out of the ordinary", i.e. nothing spectacular.

    it looks like there was wind during the shot roughing up the water surface.. if you find it in you, go back to the spot until you get a windless day, a more perfect reflection may give that extra bit more.
    Haha.. have to admit it's really quite hard to see the pebbles. Will definitely return again and try with a fill in flash or grad ND to see the results.
    See what you mean with the smoothing of reflections from your Valencia's series, it is .

    Quote Originally Posted by cabbySHE View Post
    Warm and cool colour compliments each other, maybe can add an effect filter to accentuate the street lamp ?
    You mean those that creates starburst effect?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    i think in your case the subject is horizontal, a landscape composition may be nicer. since the sky of not much interest, i would shoot 1/4 water, 3/4 subject (taking into nightmare's comments on flat water to get a clear reflection of the subject).

    After your crop, it looks good also but then it looks very ordinary.

    Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    would the composition look better if more of the sky was included? meaning the more parts of the river not being included in the frame.
    This is a square crop of the top with more sky:
    It should work with a more dramatic sky.


    Thanks to all for the comments.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Shot of ECP

    the picture is clean and orderly which is good. but the sky isn't really that dramatic. i felt pokiemon crop shows a better perspective because it is tighter. probably you can go nearer to the highway.

    Quote Originally Posted by raymond350 View Post
    Haha.. have to admit it's really quite hard to see the pebbles. Will definitely return again and try with a fill in flash or grad ND to see the results.
    See what you mean with the smoothing of reflections from your Valencia's series, it is .


    You mean those that creates starburst effect?


    After your crop, it looks good also but then it looks very ordinary.


    This is a square crop of the top with more sky:
    It should work with a more dramatic sky.


    Thanks to all for the comments.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Shot of ECP

    Haha, can't get any closer, cos my legs were in the water already

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •