Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yee haa! I got my new lens.

Default Re: Yee haa! I got my new lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    You got a lens and the only picture you upload is that of a car staying still..

come on man, shoot more...
    Aiya, be patient...

First shot was in very low light, second was in too much light.

Please remember, I'm still very new to the lens and the way it works.

And it is an UWA which is a lot different to my little but lovable 18-55.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Haha no man, I'm not into tilt technology at all, might be fun when I'm 50 though.
    haha you're missing out on the good stuff. tilt shift/perspective control lenses are really fun to work with.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

I can imagine, hmmm, its different kind of photography I guess. I love how everything looks like a model but seriously I don't have the patience for it. Still looks amazing though.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

that's not just what (primarily i suspect) a tse lens was designed for actually ...

Yeah I need to clue up on it but wa siao...
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Naaah ... don't trouble yourself.

Tilt and shifts are technical lenses that cost a bomb, and are difficult to use.

Explore and maximise what you have ... and most important: enjoy photography.

CHEERS!

Thanks mate.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

If you got the patience, the T/S lenses can be really fun to work with. But the Nikon 24mm PC is really a disappointing performer at full shifts, and are better and cheaper options to work with actually.

Meanwhile MRSAMO the UWA are really fun lenses to work with. My 12-24mm is still an indispensable item during holidays.

Show us more

Ryan

Thanks Ryan I will but the weather hasn't been good lately and am still testing the lens for sharpness etc in case I need to return it. Don't think there is a problem though.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Hi mate,
    Are you in Perth?

Perth no why? Melbourne - always cloudy.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Perth no why? Melbourne - always cloudy.
    No, just ask cos I used to go down Perth to shoot wild flowers in Sep.

This lens is a handful, by far a greater learning experience for me. I'd like to see a pro show me what these lens can really do.

But for now, will have to deal with a newbie :-)

When I was looking for an UWA lens I didn't want a lot of distortion, nor any other funny stuff that might occur with these kinds of lenses, but as people have noticed there is CA which can be corrected via software (or with a camera like the D300). I'm not too familiar with CA but will read into it. There is some "fisheye" effects sometimes but not too much.
    I do like to take shots of cars and architectural stuff, so minimal distortion is preferred.

Test shot of the sky. It was quite shady in this area with so many bushes and trees around. I find that set on AUTO will make things quite bright so am forced to do some manual adjustments :

Here's Coke. I notice that she comes out really well in my photos :-) Well all dogs do!

Another shot of Coke :

And another :
    Last edited by MRSAMO; 23rd December 2008 at 01:16 PM.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

A 100% crop of the original :

The new lens have a strange way of focusing, well its an UWA lens not a portrait lens so I guess its pretty good that I can get this close :

Taken in low light and handheld (actually all my photos are). I think I might have messed up the ISO, shutter speed or whatever but it came out well. And if anyone can guess what TV show this is he/she is really good :

Another shot of my HD TV, its a 37" BTW which is small by LCD TV standards but what makes this TV interesting is that its full HD (1920x1080). I got it from Korea and its brilliant. Looks a lot like the old Apple Cinema display but this one has 4 speakers, TV tuner and plenty of input/output options at the back. No prize for guessing what this movie is :

This is a 100% crop of the original RAW image. Movie isn't in full HD but 720p. Could've done a better job of taking a sharper picture but yeah :
    Last edited by MRSAMO; 23rd December 2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

And a 50% reduction of the above picture :
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Yr shots do not have a fish-eye effect or distortion. FEs have a distinctively curved FOV, whether they're full frame FEs or circular FEs. What you are experiencing is totally normal rectilinear distortion that is part of UWA designs. Nope, I don't believe UWAs can ever be designed without rectilinear distortion, but I'm not an optical designer.

For archi work - learn to center your camera/lens dead center. If not, you will experience some degree of distortion, no matter what (that's why serious archi work is always done on large format cameras, or small format cameras with tile shift lenses). Buying a bubble level and using it effectively with your entire set-up on a tripod is a good way to go, but I suspect you may not have the patience nor discipline to do archi work (since you've already implied you don't exactly have patience).

As for cars - like product shots, they're usually done using short to medium tele lenses and not usually UWAs, unless it's a wacky and fun concept that demands exaggerated perspectives and distortion.

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but if distortion free car photos are what you want, you're approaching things incorrectly and using the wrong lens.
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 23rd December 2008 at 03:22 PM.

Its a lttle weird reading these and still not have an answer on page 2.. haaa... okie my guess.. you got a 10-20 or something?
    | www.falconite.com | flickr |
    Canon Equipments

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Yr shots do not have a fish-eye effect or distortion. FEs have a distinctively curved FOV, whether they're full frame FEs or circular FEs. What you are experiencing is totally normal rectilinear distortion that is part of UWA designs. Nope, I don't believe UWAs can ever be designed without rectilinear distortion, but I'm not an optical designer.

For archi work - learn to center your camera/lens dead center. If not, you will experience some degree of distortion, no matter what (that's why serious archi work is always done on large format cameras, or small format cameras with tile shift lenses). Buying a bubble level and using it effectively with your entire set-up on a tripod is a good way to go, but I suspect you may not have the patience nor discipline to do archi work (since you've already implied you don't exactly have patience).
    I will try and develop some patience, just that I'm too busy with other hobbies like going to church :-)

London has a lot of architecture so yeah I would like to capture that before they all fall down (london bridge is....get it? haha). I enjoy visiting the British museum but could never take a good shot of it with the kit lens.

As for cars - like product shots, they're usually done using short to medium tele lenses and not usually UWAs, unless it's a wacky and fun concept that demands exaggerated perspectives and distortion.

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but if distortion free car photos are what you want, you're approaching things incorrectly and using the wrong lens.
    Yeah dude I know what you're saying, but there was a lot of time when my 18mm couldn't get all of what I wanted into the shot. I think I got a good one because the distortion can be corrected.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by falconite View Post
    Its a lttle weird reading these and still not have an answer on page 2.. haaa... okie my guess.. you got a 10-20 or something?
    I shall remain tight lipped until someone guess the name of that TV show :-P
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

More! These were edited a little :

Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast