Thread: Stacking Filters

Default Stacking Filters

Hey guys

is it advisable to stack a normal 67mm UV Hoya Filter with the Hoya Pro1 DMC CPL 4mm slim version?
    Any vignetting effects?

What if i stack it with 67mm B+W MRC CPL (Standard thickness with front screw thread) ?

Default Re: Stacking Filters

Quote Originally Posted by winzee View Post
    Hey guys

is it advisable to stack a normal 67mm UV Hoya Filter with the Hoya Pro1 DMC CPL 4mm slim version?
    Any vignetting effects?

What if i stack it with 67mm B+W MRC CPL (Standard thickness with front screw thread) ?
    Hi winzee

Hard to say cause different lenses might tolerate stacking differently due to the way they are made. I got two 24mm primes and both vignettes to different degrees. Maybe u can go down with your lens and try out.

But why would you want to stack a CPL with a UV filter?
    There is also a near imperceptible drop in IQ as well. Most of us would just take out the UV filter and mount the CPL.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Hi winzee

Hard to say cause different lenses might tolerate stacking differently due to the way they are made. I got two 24mm primes and both vignettes to different degrees. Maybe u can go down with your lens and try out.

But why would you want to stack a CPL with a UV filter?
    There is also a near imperceptible drop in IQ as well. Most of us would just take out the UV filter and mount the CPL.

Ryan
    haha.. i just heard of such thing.. was curious

hmm.. thanks!
    i'll probably remove and mount..

I use filters - sometimes. I am using cokin system and it has bracket where I can stack 3 filters. My lenses are all protected by UV filters, so if I use my Cokin filter system, that means I always stack the filter, UV plus another filter minimum. LOL.

To me having a peace of mind knowing my lense will be free from scratch cos I am quite careless, is best. I rarely get flare, because I dont really shoot straight into light source (you only get flare when you do so). So the UV screw in filter is always there.

The other filters like ND-grad, ND, colour grad, polarizer, starburst, star-4/6/8, orange, gold, soft, etc are just for effect.

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    I use filters - sometimes. I am using cokin system and it has bracket where I can stack 3 filters. My lenses are all protected by UV filters, so if I use my Cokin filter system, that means I always stack the filter, UV plus another filter minimum. LOL.

To me having a peace of mind knowing my lense will be free from scratch cos I am quite careless, is best. I rarely get flare, because I dont really shoot straight into light source (you only get flare when you do so). So the UV screw in filter is always there.

The other filters like ND-grad, ND, colour grad, polarizer, starburst, star-4/6/8, orange, gold, soft, etc are just for effect.
    but then can you stack a circular polarizer

haha a little out of point

How is cokin CPL compared to Hoya Pro1D CPL?

Any comments?

Both are about the same price and i can't find any comparisons on the net..
    Last edited by winzee; 22nd December 2008 at 09:38 PM.

I stack. Then it vinettes. Then I crop.
    Reason is... Lazy lah.