Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surrounding background not bright enough...

when u set the flash to slow sync mode,the shutter will drop to the ambient reading.not necessary just 1/30s,it can drop slower to 1/8s or 1/4s or even a few second to if the ambient is really dark.
    at F4 ISO 640,if u use the slow sync mode on ur flash,it will definitely be slower than 1/30s,maybe 1/8s..
    Can u safely say u can handhold and get good results using slow sync flash ?
    i would prefer to shoot at the slowest speed my hand can hold using normal flash in stead of setting the flash to slow sync.
    i believe they call it dragging the shutter..

oh so thats the term to use? drag the shutter...
    i see... thus meaning to say that slow sync has to be at exactly ambient exposure? anything other than that cannot be termed slow sync?
    just wanna clarify the terminology...

Hi guys! Thanks for helpful input! From the above discussion it seems that the only way to solve my problem is to
    a) Use slow shutter speeds to bring out the ambient light
    b) Tripod the camera
    c) Tell the ppl to DUN MOVE
    d) Stop down to increase the DOF.

Not too possible in my case but well it's only 2 photos out of a roll of 36. 'sides I'm not into wedding photography. Thanks!

~Alvin

OT Question: What is the difference between setting exposure compensation +0.5 EV versus rating the film say 800 to 640 (half stop also right?) in Aperture Prioty mode?

slow sync flash has it's uses, but in this instance, even if one can handhold steady at slow sync shutter speed, there is no guarantee that the subjects will remain still for the same amount of time. these kind of smiles are probably "capture the moment" type, thus a reasonably fast shutter speed still has to be selected. for me i would set to shutter priority, dial in say 1/30s, and let the ETTL (or similar) do the proper flash compensation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12