Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the next cheapest prime lens to the 50mm?

Default Re: What are the next cheapest prime lens to the 50mm?

Thanks guys, just when I was about to get the 50mm for the Canon, here was the seller's description :

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens delivers very sharp images as inexpensively as Canon lenses get.

Build quality of the 50 f/1.8 is very cheap (as you might expect). This lens feels more like a toy than a piece of optics. It utilizes plastic contruction right down to the lens mount (the lenses are glass of course). This light material combined with the small size (2.7" x 1.6"/68.2mm x 41.0mm - WxL) puts this lens in the featherweight class - 4.6 oz (130g). The 50 f/1.8 is currently Canon's lightest and shortest lens. Considering how light the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens is, I think the plastic lens mount is adequate for strength. You might get more wear than you wish if you are changing the lens frequently.

There is not much to this lens. There is no distance window or markings. There is barely even a focus ring - and the tiny ring that is there is barely usable.

Autofocus is driven by a micro motor. Focus speed is not stellar, but fine in good light with subjects that are not moving too quickly. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens is one of Canon's louder/buzzier lenses - you know when it is focusing. But this is not a wildlife lens - and the noise probably won't bother most people. I suppose a positive aspect of the sound is that you know when it is working - and when focus is locked. FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing is not included. The 50 f/1.8 extends up to 5/16" during focusing - the very small 52mm filter does not rotate.

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens' strongest quality is its sharpness. Sharpness performance wide open (f/1.8) is decent, but the Canon 50 f/1.8 is very sharp at f/2.8 and beyond. It is slightly sharper than even then Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens.

With an f/1.8 maximum aperture, this is a fast lens. Unfortunately, only five non-rounded aperture blades are used in this lens. This design leads to sometimes-poor bokeh (image quality of out of focus areas).
    So is this a good one for the Canon Kiss? (not sure what the overseas name is 350D? it was bought in 2006 and came with 18-55 and 55-200).
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    Thanks guys, just when I was about to get the 50mm for the Canon, here was the seller's description :

So is this a good one for the Canon Kiss? (not sure what the overseas name is 350D? it was bought in 2006 and came with 18-55 and 55-200).
    Depending if it is the Canon Kiss Digital X or N?

Ah...actually I've no idea! I only like Canon IXY/IXUS cameras and printers :-)
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II fits to all recent cameras of Canon. The key word here is "EF mount", introduced much earlier. If you bought it in 2006 as new camera then it's 300D/350D or maybe already 400D. Doesn't matter at all, it's EF lens mount. Take it an enjoy (or your sister)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12