Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to D-I-Y a dry box for DSLR and lenses?

Default Re: how to D-I-Y a dry box for DSLR and lenses?

Before I had a dry cabinet, I used to use the largest Lock-and-Lock box and silica gel. When the silica gel turned pink, I would fry it to remove the moisture (blue color), cool it, and put it back into the box.

After that, I found a wireless dehumidifier for about $20 at Home Fix-It shop. It also uses silica gel, but has a heating element inside it, and when the silica gel turns pink, just plug it into a wall socket, and the heating element would heat up the silica gel and the whole unit gets re-used.

I find the wireless dehumidifier a really good solution.

I don't know about Thirsty Hippo because the water gets trapped at the bottom of the Thirsty Hippo container. Not sure how that affects overall dryness inside the box.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Before I had a dry cabinet, I used to use the largest Lock-and-Lock box and silica gel. When the silica gel turned pink, I would fry it to remove the moisture (blue color), cool it, and put it back into the box.

After that, I found a wireless dehumidifier for about $20 at Home Fix-It shop. It also uses silica gel, but has a heating element inside it, and when the silica gel turns pink, just plug it into a wall socket, and the heating element would heat up the silica gel and the whole unit gets re-used.

I find the wireless dehumidifier a really good solution.

I don't know about Thirsty Hippo because the water gets trapped at the bottom of the Thirsty Hippo container. Not sure how that affects overall dryness inside the box.
    Eh, for the wireless dehumidifier, does it work by plugging in the dehumidfier into a base to charge up (just like a chordless phone); and put back into the air-tight box?

mine was toyogo container S$6.90, and some cheapo thirsty hippo lookalike S$2 for two. Will take many hippos to hit S$110 for a dry cabinet =P Plus, I don't have the space to put a dry cabinet. Problem is that I've no idea what the RH is ...

using dry box is fine, as long it is temporary and you always maintain it.

just only need a time of lens and camera clearing charge will wipe out all you cost saving and efforts for many months.

for long term safe guard and cost effective, dry cabinet is the way to go, unless you foresee you will give up this hobby very soon.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

ask you guys who use Lock & Lock (or other air-tight boxes), how long does it take for your silica gel to turn pink/colourless?
    I'm using a dry-box but i suspect it is not air tight and my silica gel turns pink in less than 2 weeks..

Quote Originally Posted by viix View Post
    too dry and say bye bye to the grease in your equipment.. see how smooth your zoom will be then
    Actually if the camera is taken out once in a while this setup is still fine. I have the exact same kind. Additionally, if travelling I always make sure that I have some ziplocs with me. With a couple of silica gel satchets in the ziploc, I seal my lenses. Of course, travelling would mean very regular usage and substantial storage would be overnight.

Works fine...so far..!

Ziplock and thirsty hippo sachet for me too when travel.
    At home before I own drybox, I also use tupperware with thirsty hippo. I open once a while so do not worry so much about it getting too dry.

Quote Originally Posted by perimbean View Post
    Eh, for the wireless dehumidifier, does it work by plugging in the dehumidfier into a base to charge up (just like a chordless phone); and put back into the air-tight box?
    It has a two-pin plug, just plug in directly to a wall socket, took around two-three hours before it turn blue.

when not shooting, i put my wares in ziplock bag with silica gel... individual lens and equipment in each bag, and all bags in 1 of those big plastic container box...

but looking to get a 30L digi cabi soon; hate the untidiness!
    Playing with M43.

Actually I think getting a digi cab is the best solution. Its organised, can monitor and look neat in your room...

My only worry with the digi cab, as we keep buying stuff the size of the cabinet needs to increase!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12