Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Prestigious Wear

  1. #21
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    sorry if it sound offended, what about your wedding suit? can? save money...
    You are not wrong there. In fact if you want to look at more variety of suits to wear and fit occasion then I would say just go to a few bride and groom studio and rent a tux or formal cut suit. If this kind of function is something you only attend like once a year or more then I say don't waste too much money on getting a suit of that quality.

    But somehow the TS seem to imply this might be a custom ball? If that be the case are we talking flamboyant custome and not neccesary something as in a normal grand black tie event no?

  2. #22
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by egnaro View Post
    sorry if it sound offended, what about your wedding suit? can? save money...
    Not married yet, no wedding suit. Besides, many grooms rent their wedding suit.
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  3. #23
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Not married yet, no wedding suit. Besides, many grooms rent their wedding suit.
    Wedding suits are pretty much formal suit. Just get a tuxedo.

  4. #24
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    You are not wrong there. In fact if you want to look at more variety of suits to wear and fit occasion then I would say just go to a few bride and groom studio and rent a tux or formal cut suit. If this kind of function is something you only attend like once a year or more then I say don't waste too much money on getting a suit of that quality.

    But somehow the TS seem to imply this might be a custom ball? If that be the case are we talking flamboyant custome and not neccesary something as in a normal grand black tie event no?
    Well, its a company event, and i'm just trying to get something to suit the theme .
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  5. #25
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Well, its a company event, and i'm just trying to get something to suit the theme .
    Rent or borrow. Buying is an option if there is time to buy off the rack and get the altering done if there is a need to fine tune the lengths. But if you see yourself using the suit more like a few times a year. Buying does make sense. But if you see yourself not using it much then rent it. If you don;t intend to wear it often and you buy it...storing it and keeping it in good condition can be a pain. So give it some thought. Good luck and have a good time at the event. Take lots of photos heh.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    It's so sad really. I see many like that for years. A normal 2 or 1 button coat (blazer) and a pair of pants that does not match hehe. Har..another thing that I spot alot... shoes that were not polished! heheh....
    Yes, that is so true! U forgot ill matching belt + shoes, digital sports watch with tuxedo, cufflinks that don't match their tuxedo shirt's button studs, Shirts (with revealed buttons) that are not meant to be worn with tuxedos, crumpled,ready-tied bow tie borrowed from some little wedding page boy instead of wearing to-be-tied bow (at least buy a neat ready-tied bow). I can go on and on. Sometimes i wonder why some asian men bother to attend black tie affairs when they don't respect the dress code. Excuses such as "It's just for a night,anything lah." is inexcusable.

    Would you rather look like an untidy crumpled penguin in tuxedo or a smart,dashing,immaculate one for the night?
    I'm a cow with a camera

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Hello...I think all of us males have done National Service leh! even then how hard to get your maid to polish it, bring to shakey to polish, shoe mender on the corner at Shentonway...etc nonsense! heheh
    using shoe polish alone (eg, Kiwi brand) will not bring the shine out of calf leather that originally are of high gloss finish, not patent leather kind of gloss. it will occasionally need some mink oil or beeswax treatment. shoe polish does more to maintain the colour since coloured dyes are added into the polish. shoe buffing cloth dampened slightly will bring out the shine.



    .....

    not refering to u lah, but guys should not wear some chunky G-Shock under the sleeve! it will totally spoil the effort to dress up. dress watches are very low profile, if dun have just bring handphone to keep track of time.

    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 18th December 2008 at 11:31 PM.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Well, its a company event, and i'm just trying to get something to suit the theme .
    I hope you are able to rent something nice. Buying will be a waste of $ if you are not going to be wearing it in the near future.
    I'm a cow with a camera

  9. #29
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    Yes, that is so true! U forgot ill matching belt + shoes, digital sports watch with tuxedo, cufflinks that don't match their tuxedo shirt's button studs, Shirts (with revealed buttons) that are not meant to be worn with tuxedos, crumpled,ready-tied bow tie borrowed from some little wedding page boy instead of wearing to-be-tied bow (at least buy a neat ready-tied bow). I can go on and on. Sometimes i wonder why some asian men bother to attend black tie affairs when they don't respect the dress code. Excuses such as "It's just for a night,anything lah." is inexcusable.

    Would you rather look like an untidy crumpled penguin in tuxedo or a smart,dashing,immaculate one for the night?
    hahahahahah... I know people like that when I was doing a lot more event in the fashion industry. And some got lose in time. What they wore in the 80s they still wear in the 90s heheh...

  10. #30
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    using shoe polish alone (eg, Kiwi brand) will not bring the shine out of calf leather that originally are of high gloss finish, not patent leather kind of gloss. it will occasionally need some mink oil or beeswax treatment. shoe polish does more to maintain the colour since coloured dyes are added into the polish. shoe buffing cloth dampened slightly will bring out the shine.



    .....

    not refering to u, but guys should not wear some chunky G-Shock under the sleeve! it will totally spoil the effert to dress up. dress watches are very low profile, if dun have just bring handphone to keep track of time.

    well...I can shine my police shoe till I can see my teeth and image heheh....I never have a problem. But I like patent leather. Had a nice pair from Armani.

    If you have no slim watch to wear..just don't wear one. Keep mobile phone in breast pocket not your pants heh.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    well...I can shine my police shoe till I can see my teeth and image heheh....I never have a problem. But I like patent leather. Had a nice pair from Armani.

    If you have no slim watch to wear..just don't wear one. Keep mobile phone in breast pocket not your pants heh.
    Armani makes good shoes? i prefer shoes from traditional shoe brand, like Swank. more wallet friendly, their top end range under $230. just dun buy based on brand, soemtimes each brand's current collection differs in style & quality. buyer beware!

    oh, i missed out on socks, please wear black socks with black shoes & pants. that wan is relatively easy to pull off. does little damage to wallets too.

  12. #32
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    Armani makes good shoes? i prefer shoes from traditional shoe brand, like Swank. more wallet friendly, their top end range under $230. just dun buy based on brand, soemtimes each brand's current collection differs in style & quality. buyer beware!

    oh, i missed out on socks, please wear black socks with black shoes & pants. that wan is relatively easy to pull off. does little damage to wallets too.

    eh that was sometime back and I got like 50% off heheh.. I was working in the fashion industry..so being vain and a fashion victim was not hard. Yes they do make them but very limited or I should said they bring them in in very limited quantity. It was at their then main shop just above Blue Moon at HPL building behind the Forum Galleria. Ah my vain past...heheh... I not so bad now.. I am pretty happy now with my Renoma and Dr Marten now heheh...

  13. #33
    Senior Member yilishengxian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pandan 花园
    Posts
    3,925

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    using shoe polish alone (eg, Kiwi brand) will not bring the shine out of calf leather that originally are of high gloss finish, not patent leather kind of gloss. it will occasionally need some mink oil or beeswax treatment. shoe polish does more to maintain the colour since coloured dyes are added into the polish. shoe buffing cloth dampened slightly will bring out the shine.



    .....

    not refering to u lah, but guys should not wear some chunky G-Shock under the sleeve! it will totally spoil the effort to dress up. dress watches are very low profile, if dun have just bring handphone to keep track of time.

    Haha, i think i really gotta use my HP to tell the time liao, coz my watch IS the chunky G-shock ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    eh that was sometime back and I got like 50% off heheh.. I was working in the fashion industry..so being vain and a fashion victim was not hard. Yes they do make them but very limited or I should said they bring them in in very limited quantity. It was at their then main shop just above Blue Moon at HPL building behind the Forum Galleria. Ah my vain past...heheh... I not so bad now.. I am pretty happy now with my Renoma and Dr Marten now heheh...
    limited quantity an excuse to sell t higher price mah. rarity pushes price up (& up). being in a crowd of likeminded peps itsnot easy to see things from another perspective. that i try not to stick too much with any group.

    dun 1 2 be a drone, mindlessly follow just to fit in.

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Haha, i think i really gotta use my HP to tell the time liao, coz my watch IS the chunky G-shock ...
    wah, din know i can predict ah. woohoo.

    like to add that a decent hairstyle will finish off the look. dun need to go for some Pro Trim unless that bad. some cases some hair products will do.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    248

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    eh that was sometime back and I got like 50% off heheh.. I was working in the fashion industry..so being vain and a fashion victim was not hard. Yes they do make them but very limited or I should said they bring them in in very limited quantity. It was at their then main shop just above Blue Moon at HPL building behind the Forum Galleria. Ah my vain past...heheh... I not so bad now.. I am pretty happy now with my Renoma and Dr Marten now heheh...
    Ah Blue Moon and scoops cafe. The good old days! We r from the same era.
    I'm a cow with a camera

  16. #36

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Haha, i think i really gotta use my HP to tell the time liao, coz my watch IS the chunky G-shock ...
    Personally ... for me... if I am short of time... Hugo Boss... simple suit can't go wrong. Shoes from Tods. My cufflinks are tiny cameras :-).

    Alternatively you could go to Marks and Spencer... they got suits. G2000 ??

  17. #37
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by cowmera View Post
    Ah Blue Moon and scoops cafe. The good old days! We r from the same era.
    heheh I believe so .... I was a big fan of Bluemoon stuff. And that means you also know Hemisphere at delphi orchard heh. Hint I was working for a fashion show and event product company with a sister company link to one of the best modelling agency back then also at Delphi Orchard. You know that you know who I worked for previously heheheh...don't even get me started on Paul Smith ( when the guy was still alive) or Matsuda, Issey Miyaki, Gianfranco Ferre or Yoji Yamamoto or Glamourette... Damn...my vain pork deju vu is all coming back heheheheh..... okie okie ...better stop.
    Last edited by sammy888; 19th December 2008 at 03:13 AM.

  18. #38
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    limited quantity an excuse to sell t higher price mah. rarity pushes price up (& up). being in a crowd of likeminded peps itsnot easy to see things from another perspective. that i try not to stick too much with any group.

    dun 1 2 be a drone, mindlessly follow just to fit in.
    Actually I like it for its limited run.. I had a mantra back then...anything more then 5 pieces I will not buy. I like limited stuff and throw more money onto my clothings then camera and moutain bike back then heheheh...the good old days. These days...fashion is abit more boring. or maybe it reflect how safe menswear tend to be. You get too dressy and you are either a metrosexula man or gay. Why can you be a macho **** who just like to dress to kill..like me. hahahah.. Aiya...even I am dressing down these day ...if not you stand out like a sore thumb. Back in those days if you are working in that industry and alwasy with the in crowd and functions you stand out like a sore thumb if you are under dress. Funny how things changes over time heheh.. but that is life and the is the fun part about it.

    So to the TS.... weight your pro and cons. How important is that night to you? Are you going with a hot date that you want to impress? How are your peers dressed on that day? Do you want to make a big impress for social or career reason. ..well choosing the right wear will play a big part. BUt at the same time don't over do it too. And as I mentioned. Expensive clothings are great to wear but if you are not prepare to keep them maintain..it is as good as you throw it away the moment you are back from the function. Renting is fine really I mean if you don't mention it who the hell will know? Just us! heheh and we are not attending it with you heheh...

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Actually I like it for its limited run.. I had a mantra back then...anything more then 5 pieces I will not buy. I like limited stuff and throw more money onto my clothings then camera and moutain bike back then heheheh...the good old days. These days...fashion is abit more boring. or maybe it reflect how safe menswear tend to be. You get too dressy and you are either a metrosexula man or gay. Why can you be a macho **** who just like to dress to kill..like me. hahahah.. Aiya...even I am dressing down these day ...if not you stand out like a sore thumb. Back in those days if you are working in that industry and alwasy with the in crowd and functions you stand out like a sore thumb if you are under dress. Funny how things changes over time heheh.. but that is life and the is the fun part about it.

    So to the TS.... weight your pro and cons. How important is that night to you? Are you going with a hot date that you want to impress? How are your peers dressed on that day? Do you want to make a big impress for social or career reason. ..well choosing the right wear will play a big part. BUt at the same time don't over do it too. And as I mentioned. Expensive clothings are great to wear but if you are not prepare to keep them maintain..it is as good as you throw it away the moment you are back from the function. Renting is fine really I mean if you don't mention it who the hell will know? Just us! heheh and we are not attending it with you heheh...
    some folks cant tell the diff between metro sexual, gay & plain stylish guyz? maybe to them men = sloppy dressers? u so easy to dope ah, hahaa... 5 pieces, just buy prev prev season's stuff loh, other peps spoil liao then u the oni 1 with it now? agree mens wear locally very staid, like B&W photos. blame the apparel merchandisers loh, they choose wan.


    to TS i agree with Sammy about not spending too much $$ on 1 single attire. unless its as important as a (your) wedding. it does not make sense.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Prestigious Wear

    Quote Originally Posted by yilishengxian View Post
    Hi all,

    Need some suggestions for Prestigious Wear (for guys). Need to get 1 for an event.

    If got pics / links pls share,

    ty


    define prestigious.

    cheapo=g2000

    got slightly more $=kingsmen tailor, raffles tailor.

    if you want branded=hugo boss, armani.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •