Thread: flash photography at wedding dinner...

Question flash photography at wedding dinner...

i'm an amatuer SLR user. my device is an old EOS88. just bought a Metz 36 today for use during a wedding dinner photoshoot.

previously, a wedding dinner photoshoot turned out not so well due to the weak built-in flash. So now with an attached flashlight, what do i need to take note in order for the pictures to turn out satisfactory?

Can i leave my camera on full auto mode like i used to? Or do i need to use Program mode with AEL? Can someone explain to me how and when do I need to meter the exposure?

Please advise... thank you.

I would appreciate any help here... thanks!

is your flash canon mounted ? if not it could be a manual mode flash.

since you're using metz, i usually use these settings..

iso 400, motorzoom longest, f/2.0, ev compensation 0. use manual mode, so you can set the flash output to 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, so on and so forth.

attach a bounce card or stofen omnibounce.

i use omnibounce so i don't know how it'll work with bounce card.

for about 5 meters apart shots, use 1/8 for a fill-in flash shot if ambient light is good enough, 1/4 for a visible "flashed" photograph, but it may actually turn out to work quite well also. this is if you shoot the flash direct.

for bounce flash 5 meters apart gotta use 1/4 for fill in and 1/2 for visible "flashed".

i say 5 meters because that's usually how far the photog stands.

if must stand further, uh, experience will tell you i can't really explain to you.. i've just gotten too used to changing the 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 values by eye so it's tough to put down in words.

it helps if your flash has a built in distance indicator like how far the flash can reach. my metz has it.