Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to learn computer building, setup skills

Default Re: Need to learn computer building, setup skills

was there a need to build own computers nowadays?
    Can just pinpoint what parts needed as a whole, then get the shop to assemble them.
    of coz, must find those more reputable shops to do these.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1010 View Post
    Can just pinpoint what parts needed as a whole, then get the shop to assemble them.
    Also do avoid shops which don't prevent ESD.

gee - computers are sooo cheap to buy now as well....what's the point unless you want to rebuild yr own PC for fun.

ASIS are so cheap, light weight.....my neighbour bought one and it was installed with linux and a windows.

runs well
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    gee - computers are sooo cheap to buy now as well....what's the point unless you want to rebuild yr own PC for fun.

ASIS are so cheap, light weight.....my neighbour bought one and it was installed with linux and a windows.

runs well
    Hello Running Person... ASUS issit??!! hahahah....

As a famous saying goes: It is not the destination but the journey getting there that is the experience. And there are still good reasons for doing so. For one thing it is not about saving money. The art is to get a more killer or custom system that is better but for the same money or get something almost twice as good for just a bit more. Usually, a built system tend to last longer in my opinion and also from experiences. I have a friend who is still use a 486DX I built for him. It is now still running linux.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    As a famous saying goes: It is not the destination but the journey getting there that is the experience. And there are still good reasons for doing so. For one thing it is not about saving money. The art is to get a more killer or custom system that is better but for the same money or get something almost twice as good for just a bit more. Usually, a built system tend to last longer in my opinion and also from experiences. I have a friend who is still use a 486DX I built for him. It is now still running linux.
    What I meant is do we have to get yourselves hands-on in building them? I am using a diy PC myself, self assembled, but my point is for those who does not know how to diy, they can get the shop to do it free, but must know which shops to go to & which ones to avoid - white shops or black shops or those in between..haha.

This can be done by a simple search on local hardware forums on feedbacks posted by others.

What I meant is do we have to get yourselves hands-on in building them? I am using a diy PC myself, self assembled, but my point is for those who does not know how to diy, they can get the shop to do it free, but must know which shops to go to & which ones to avoid - white shops or black shops or those in between..haha.

This can be done by a simple search on local hardware forums on feedbacks posted by others.
    Ya you can do that way too of course heh. I guess everyone has their own way of looking getting a PC. From the just take out the wallet and buy a complete one to one that will nickpick around for one to build component by component. I prefer the last one as I like to feel that I am giving birth to one ...figuretively speaking of course heheheh...

Hello Running Person... ASUS issit??!! hahahah....
    haha darn it uncle sam - you got me
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

haha darn it uncle sam - you got me
    HEY!!...gotta respect that brand name. You venture into Geek land Thread...you have to adhere to the geek code. Misspelling legendary hardware names like that is sacrilegious to say the least.

HEY!!...gotta respect that brand name. You venture into Geek land Thread...you have to adhere to the geek code. Misspelling legendary hardware names like that is sacrilegious to say the least.
    yeah ha ha - mix up between ASICS and ASUS lah - whaddya expect when run with a laptop

yeah ha ha - mix up between ASICS and ASUS lah - whaddya expect when run with a laptop
    as far as I know asics is a shoe brand http://www.asics.com/select.html never computer part

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    as far as I know asics is a shoe brand http://www.asics.com/select.html never computer part
    heheh....next she will be getting all the camera names and lens wrong too...mixing them up with another running gear brand heh But never mind lah...her "feet" are in the right place.

heheh....next she will be getting all the camera names and lens wrong too...mixing them up with another running gear brand heh But never mind lah...her "feet" are in the right place.
    dahhling - take yr shots while you can

fortunately we're talking bits and bytes, rams and roms here......i'm still understanding features on my 3 year old digital camera

dahhling - take yr shots while you can

fortunately we're talking bits and bytes, rams and roms here......i'm still understanding features on my 3 year old digital camera

Aiya...you want to know more about your camera..you are in the right forum. Tons of folks here to give you a thousand opinions on the subject.... whether you like it or not heheheheheheh......

I want to build a system where I can put 2pcs of 2GB DDR2 Ram on a Core 2 Duo (2.2 or 2.6)
    Have existing IDE drives and intend to have install one piece of SATA 500GB Hard drive.
    Can I install the IDE drive as my Primary Hard Drive and the SATA as slave?

Don't intend to overclock or put it on Raid. What graphic card should I use when I want to
    do photo as well as video editing on Ubuntu Hardy?

The motherboard I had in mind is the Asus P5Q Pro P45 LGA775. Will this board have any problem detecting graphic cards from Nvidia, Asus and others? Which graphic card is running well and smooth in Ubuntu Hardy 8.04?

What other things that I should look out for besides flashing the BIOS before installing the OS?

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    I want to build a system where I can put 2pcs of 2GB DDR2 Ram on a Core 2 Duo (2.2 or 2.6)
    Have existing IDE drives and intend to have install one piece of SATA 500GB Hard drive.
    Can I install the IDE drive as my Primary Hard Drive and the SATA as slave?

Don't intend to overclock or put it on Raid. What graphic card should I use when I want to
    do photo as well as video editing on Ubuntu Hardy?

The motherboard I had in mind is the Asus P5Q Pro P45 LGA775. Will this board have any problem detecting graphic cards from Nvidia, Asus and others? Which graphic card is running well and smooth in Ubuntu Hardy 8.04?

What other things that I should look out for besides flashing the BIOS before installing the OS?

You should try asking this in VR-Zone forum. They will be able to give u a better answer.
    If you intend to run Ubuntu , it should be fine with any motherboard but don expect your graphic card to perform very well as i am not sure if ubuntu is able to make full use of the graphic card driver well enough.

Do more research on graphic on ubuntu if u intend to use ubuntu. Anyway, there for be a price cut soon next year 1Q.

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Have existing IDE drives and intend to have install one piece of SATA 500GB Hard drive.Can I install the IDE drive as my Primary Hard Drive and the SATA as slave?
    Yes that is not a problem. In the bios of the motherboard you can configure it to boot from any one of the devices eg..HDD, Ext HDD, CDROM or MEMORY CARD. But why do that when your SATA works alot faster.

This board you bought is a very very capable board. Recognising the difference brands of graphic board is not a problem ... if you are running XP or Vista. But in Ubuntu. That will be your an issue. Has the graphic board you purchase have a driver for that helps Ubuntu to see and make use of the card and how much of capable it can take advantage of that card. You have bought yourself a very good board as I said maybe more then you would need for ubuntu. It has up to 3 PCI express slot! And it can take advantage of PCI Express 2.0 and you can use two graphic card at once to get even more graphic and 3D processing power. BUT! will you be able to harness all those power or it would be wasted in ubuntu? That is the big questions. Maybe those who have run ubuntu would be able to answer that if you are new to ubuntu. Running well and smooth will depend very much on the driver supply by the graphic card maker. And we all know how it is with makers of various devices to run under linux..limited support and at times buggy. So get enough information before you make any decision.

Basically there are two main players in the Graphic chip market. We are talking Radeon and Nvidia. So when you mentioned Asus...well Asus purchase graphic chips from both of them so Asus will sell you graphic boards that uses either Chipset/GPU to power their cards. All other brands like Gigabyte, XF, Intel..etc. they all do the same thing. Like Asus, will purchases graphic chipset/GPU from Nvidia and Radeon.

Don't intend to overclock or put it on Raid. What graphic card should I use when I want to do photo as well as video editing on Ubuntu Hardy?
    Video editing does not really use the power of the Graphic card much. I don't think it has started using the GPU to do number crunching at this time. I only know that Photoshop CS4 for PC will use the graphic card's graphic engine to help with the post processing too. So that means if you want as much power to do your video editing ...you talking raw CPU power which means the higher speed CPU the better. The graphic card of today which should have RAMDAC numbers about 400 or more will be more then enough for your editing use. photo editing is not the same as rendering 3D games...which is why you pay so much for..which it to do faster rendering for 3D gamming or you are doing computer animation or modelling work that makes use of the 3D computation. So for photo editing.. RAMDAC numbers is more important. Is all you want to do is photo editing you also don't need alot of on-board RAM on the graphic card. 256 or 512 mb is more then enough..in case you want to play some 3D games. heheh.

Hope that helps... Like the other guy mentioned, if you want more detailed help and specifically about ubuntu then you should head to VR-Zone forum or hardwarezone forum to get more help if you can't find enough help here.
    Last edited by sammy888; 19th December 2008 at 02:58 AM.

1. PCs are cheap, why custom build?
    2. Assembly is so easy, just watch youtube!

Take it from someone who used to handle 31floors worth of IT stuffs! (Glad I'm out of govt!)

To Forward: IDE and SATA, sure. Or get an external casing to make USB Sata.
    Any new graphics can run well with ubuntu, but is incompatible with older ATI. ATI gives more problems than Nvidia at any given time anyways (though I keep using ATI! hmmm)
    Flashing Bios? for what, unless you've problems with it, flashing can sometimes cause motherboards to die prematurely! (been there done that).

I learnt what parts are compatible with each other through the internet. From there on, I went to my former neighbor's shop at Bishan (next J8, next to a DnT shop) to get the parts and set it up. I did some hands on and read the manual, and my neighbor was pretty helpful in letting me learn. 2 years later, I helped my friend get the parts at PC Show 07 and assembled it with him.

Best way to learn is to go help the guy out with assembling your own comp.
    Our pictures are our footprints. Itís the best way to tell people we were here - JoeMcnally | Flickr

Custom build is damn cheap now, can get high end gaming com for 1300+. ie. can run crysis on medium to high at good fps: 30+ on 720p resolution.

if wan custom build go find out what game u wan play on what resolution first.. think bout what u need..
    den go sls get recommendation frm the shops there, ask them write down system specs and quote price.. (also take note of alternative hardware or new hardware that is going to be release).

come home den search review sites.. tomshardware is good, go look at their charts section, compare different graphics card and cpu.

The charts normally compare according to game performance, so depending on what game u wan play and the size of yr screen, choose the graphics card that suits best..

den if u wan do lots of hdr photos or photoshopping den pay more for cpu, quad core best. but some application do not support multi-core computer (means that only use 1 core out of yr 4 cores)

Otherwise things that u need choose most is cpu speed and graphic card power.
    for RAM, vista 32bit only support 3gb ram, which includes yr RAM and graphic card memory. so 2gb for ram good enuf
    Vista 64bit can support 8gb (i think), but i think also more ex-

CPU dictates the motherboard. eg. AMD Chip muz connect to AMD board. INTEl chip muz connect to INTEL board.
    Board muz be able to support graphic card speed. (ask sls shops sales ppl, unless u wan do yr own homework)
    Power supply muz be enough for system (my high end com need 600w power supply, muz ask sls sales ppl again)
    Harddrive size u decide.
    Ram: 2gb enuf, speed norm is 800mhz, can go faster also..
    Cooling: stock, unless u want really quiet or want to overclock
    DVD Drive: get best one, at most $60 only

Oh yea and other thing, muz decided on these also(for motherboard):
    1. No. of usb slots
    2. No. of SATA ports (more sata, can add more harddrive or dvd reader/writer)

yeah den after u research and compare liao go back to the shop u like most, den ask them requote for u (Price drop damn fast).
    Den after u choose the casing liao den let them build com for u. Install Vista yrself cuz its very easy and u save some $.

Hope this helps, and yes i know i very messy, think liao den say liao, nv order properly.. hahah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12